Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
`Throwdown

Post by `Throwdown »

Malc74 wrote:
`Throwdown wrote:
nZero wrote: There are bonuses for grazing. Check out the achievement guide in the strategy forum.
Yep, bullet buzzing FTW. I dont have the achiev. yet. Im assuming its accumlative or does the score have to be hit in one run?
It's accumulative. I played the boss runs for a while and tried to boost my score with a bit of bullet grazing, which made the achievement pop eventually.
Thats what I thought, thanks for the confirmation. :)
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/15/ho ... h-america/

Might be of interest, good interview
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

I hope I'm not the only one tossing money to these guys. I've bought this damn game 5-6 times (the 1st was the japanese release). I bought one for myself- and the rest for gifts. When it initally showed up on pre-order I had 1 down- but since the price drop to $20 it's a serious no brainer. Makes a wonderful birthday present for anybody!

That being said- I hope there's enough cash flow for those Valcom folks to bring us some awesome shit. I don't think it's really all that likely- but it'd be funny if Valcon was to 360 shooties that Atlus is to rpgs :P
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
kemical

Post by kemical »

well at least 500 individual people have bought the game :) since the leaderboards seem to have about 500-600 people on it.. then factor in the amount of people who don't have xbox live gold (which I think is required for the leaderboards usually ??)
I wonder how many copies were actually printed.
Davey

Post by Davey »

kemical wrote:well at least 500 individual people have bought the game :) since the leaderboards seem to have about 500-600 people on it.. then factor in the amount of people who don't have xbox live gold (which I think is required for the leaderboards usually ??)
I wonder how many copies were actually printed.
You don't need a gold membership for leaderboards. But there might be some people who bought this game that don't have their 360 connected to the internet (not many, I bet).

500-600 would be like 10-12 people per state. Awesome. :?

(bullshit stat, I know, but still, that's it?)
Rob

Post by Rob »

well at least 500 individual people have bought the game
And at a budget price too.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

I gotta practice... 227# on RFJ (103rd score attack).

Improving on survival will take the usual practice but the scoring system is a bitch to learn. :shock:
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

there's 1053 entries on mygamercard.net Its hard to say how many are duplicates. There's about 2 million people on there and i think the xbox live community is hovering around 3 million.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Given the fact that not a single Gamestop within 100 miles of here has a copy of this, I'm guessing that most haven't bothered stocking it. As is. it looks like I'm going to have to order online to get a copy.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Davey wrote:You don't need a gold membership for leaderboards. But there might be some people who bought this game that don't have their 360 connected to the internet (not many, I bet).
more likely to be missing are people who are playing the game normally instead of starting the game via the Xbox Live option on the main menu.

edit: also, there's going to be a few people who are on the boards for some games but not others. I've decided to work on one game at a time, so I'm only on the Raiden Fighters board at the moment.
kemical

Post by kemical »

Vexorg wrote:Given the fact that not a single Gamestop within 100 miles of here has a copy of this, I'm guessing that most haven't bothered stocking it. As is. it looks like I'm going to have to order online to get a copy.
I checked one and they said they had sold them all.. I went to Fry's on Friday and they had 3 copies, I took one so there may be 2 or less now. :o
Davey

Post by Davey »

CStarFlare wrote:
Davey wrote:You don't need a gold membership for leaderboards. But there might be some people who bought this game that don't have their 360 connected to the internet (not many, I bet).
more likely to be missing are people who are playing the game normally instead of starting the game via the Xbox Live option on the main menu.
That makes sense. Even so, it sounds like most places aren't stocking this unless people pre-ordered it. I'd think that most people who actively sought this game would want to upload their scores, but who knows.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Oh well, I just ordered one off Amazon anyway. In the meantime, I still have RF1 and 2 on PCBs, so I think I can stand to wait a bit.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Battlesmurf wrote:I hope I'm not the only one tossing money to these guys.
I bought the original Japanese release and was tempted to get the US one just to support them, but it's region locked. I can almost kinda sorta well not really understand why they region lock JP games, but region locking US ones is just stupid. I have little to no reason to own even more games which I can't play. If it was region free though, I would probably have it already.

If they end up releasing it in Europe though, I'll get that version, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

Davey wrote:But there might be some people who bought this game that don't have their 360 connected to the internet (not many, I bet).
I'm one of those guys, not that it really matters. I don't really know the scoring secrets so my scores are incredibly low.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Malc74

Post by Malc74 »

seattlexc wrote:
Davey wrote:But there might be some people who bought this game that don't have their 360 connected to the internet (not many, I bet).
I'm one of those guys, not that it really matters. I don't really know the scoring secrets so my scores are incredibly low.
In all honesty, it's well worth connecting - the replays you can download for each high score board will give you loads of tips to improve your scores. Score Attack mode is a prime example - each level is crawling with Micluses, and watching someone's replay is a great way to find all the secrets and really boost your high score.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

Malc74 wrote:[quote="seattlexc"

In all honesty, it's well worth connecting - the replays you can download for each high score board will give you loads of tips to improve your scores. Score Attack mode is a prime example - each level is crawling with Micluses, and watching someone's replay is a great way to find all the secrets and really boost your high score.
Good call, I forgot about the replays.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

Malc74 wrote:
seattlexc wrote:
excellent point Malc.

infact, ive viewed your RF1 Score Attack replay several times (helped me get to 7th this afternoon to your 6th place), at least i think your the same Malc.

it is an awesome feature and its helped my game a lot. i love how it automatically uploads your replay when you make the top 10 too. very cool feature.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just got this, and have given it a whirl...

I have a question.. I have played them all, and actually prefer the first 2 to Jet(although they are all insanely similar...they should have an option where they all just run together and be one long game), but I hear that Jet is better by a lot of people.

What am I missing? I mean, seriously, tell me what is different, so maybe I can look a bit more into it, and get into it more.

s/m
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

That's it, I'm done. I can't get over 45mil on jet. I've reached my limit. I've noticed that the only people ahead of me on the scoreboards I bothered placing in are the people in this forum. So lemme just say, take it easy on my scores! I'm cool with remaining in 5-7th place, just don't bump me down anymore!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

evil_ash_xero wrote:What am I missing? I mean, seriously, tell me what is different, so maybe I can look a bit more into it, and get into it more.
Jet would be my favorite if I didn't keep accidentally collecting that medal that floats around me, and if weren't REALLY HARD to see bullets on certain stages.

I pretty much constantly bomb on Phase 1 because if I don't I just kind of randomly explode.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, what is actually different about this one. It seems shorter, and there are some fairies in it or something, but what else?

l
CStarFlare wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:What am I missing? I mean, seriously, tell me what is different, so maybe I can look a bit more into it, and get into it more.
Jet would be my favorite if I didn't keep accidentally collecting that medal that floats around me, and if weren't REALLY HARD to see bullets on certain stages.

I pretty much constantly bomb on Phase 1 because if I don't I just kind of randomly explode.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

In Jet you can chain events (Quick Shot, Fairies, Micluses, and Destroyed at a time) to create a score multiplier. Medal chaining is different too. Check the strategy section for better descriptions.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

i have a love hate relationship going with babysitting that damn medal in RJF.

im still stuck on just playing RF1 over and over anyways. over 10 out of my 11 recorded hours are on RF1.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

^same, I've got about 13 hours total and 11 are on RF1.

RF1 is really really fun but I'm kind of shocked I'm in 6th place on the leaderboards
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

The medal babysitting only lasts one level once you get it down. It would definitely be a pain in the ass if you had to keep it hovering around you the whole game.

I haven't given RF 1 or 2 a good score attempt yet, I just like playing them as straight shooters and blowing shit up, not worrying about score. I know I can push my RFJ score more and atleast break 100 million. Too many small mistakes and inexperience with the later levels right now.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
nash87

Post by nash87 »

Shumps4Free wrote:That's it, I'm done. I can't get over 45mil on jet. I've reached my limit. I've noticed that the only people ahead of me on the scoreboards I bothered placing in are the people in this forum. So lemme just say, take it easy on my scores! I'm cool with remaining in 5-7th place, just don't bump me down anymore!
you can do better :wink:
Last edited by nash87 on Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

CStarFlare wrote:^same, I've got about 13 hours total and 11 are on RF1.

RF1 is really really fun but I'm kind of shocked I'm in 6th place on the leaderboards
nice. RF1 Normal?

yeah, the small amount of folks who bought this game are amking us look better than we actually are on the leader boards. :/
Acid King wrote:The medal babysitting only lasts one level once you get it down. It would definitely be a pain in the ass if you had to keep it hovering around you the whole game.

I haven't given RF 1 or 2 a good score attempt yet, I just like playing them as straight shooters and blowing shit up, not worrying about score. I know I can push my RFJ score more and atleast break 100 million. Too many small mistakes and inexperience with the later levels right now.
ah yeah, good point. i havent actually learned the mechanics of scoring in any of the games yet (except in Score Attack, much different).

and i agree about RF1/2. ive barely played them via the Xbox Live setting. ive mostly just goofed around offline trying out different modes and stuff.

the games are so fun. amazing comp. i still cant believe a new $20 game contains this much awesome.
Malc74

Post by Malc74 »

Daigoro wrote:
infact, ive viewed your RF1 Score Attack replay several times (helped me get to 7th this afternoon to your 6th place), at least i think your the same Malc.
Yep, that's me. And the bulk of that score was achieved by watching the top ten replays and learning from them. It's a fantastic feature.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I just noticed this link in the Raiden 4 story.

Raiden Fighters Aces: A Truly Aces Shoot-Em-Up Collection

This line in particular is quite apt.

"And if a home port of a shooter has a bug or two, then the once-grateful diehard fans will take a turn for the murderous."