Shmups DVD & VHS - the definitive list.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

The easiest way to make your own Superplay DVDs...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

sikraiken wrote:Maybe this isn't exactly the right place to ask this... but I'm interested in making a superplay DVD eventually. Anyone know how exactly I could go about doing it?
For sikraiken,

If you have a mini DV camcorder and set it up to record in manual focus so that the video capturing stays razor-sharp through out the entire recording session...that's the easiest way to do it. Then just output the captured mini DV tape to a DVD burner standalone machine and burn a DVD disc -- viola, a self-made DVD Superplay to call your very own..... ^_~

The above described method works a like a charm, I've done it a few times... ^_~

Helpful Tip: It helps to use a video camera tripod so that the mini DV camera is stable and perfectly still at all times when recording & to point the camera at an analog RGB monitor (if recording an arcade PCB Superplay session) for best results.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
sikraiken

Re: The easiest way to make your own Superplay DVDs...

Post by sikraiken »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
sikraiken wrote:Maybe this isn't exactly the right place to ask this... but I'm interested in making a superplay DVD eventually. Anyone know how exactly I could go about doing it?
For sikraiken,

If you have a mini DV camcorder and set it up to record in manual focus so that the video capturing stays razor-sharp through out the entire recording session...that's the easiest way to do it. Then just output the captured mini DV tape to a DVD burner standalone machine and burn a DVD disc -- viola, a self-made DVD Superplay to call your very own..... ^_~

The above described method works a like a charm, I've done it a few times... ^_~

Helpful Tip: It helps to use a video camera tripod so that the mini DV camera is stable and perfectly still at all times when recording & to point the camera at an analog RGB monitor (if recording an arcade PCB Superplay session) for best results.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks for the advice. : ) However, what I'm looking for are a few things:

- Professional press/packaging.
- Menu Selection
-- Actual Run (selectable with or without commentary)
-- Actual Run stage selection
-- Best stage score runs
-- About the game section (scoring details, tricks, potential max, etc)
-- ??? (Maybe more)
- Laws (copyright, etc and how to deal with it)
- Cost

I'm looking to do everything by direct RGB capture straight from the PCB. I know someone who could help me out with that, though.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

sikraiken wrote:However, what I'm looking for are a few things:

- Menu Selection
-- Best stage score runs
-- ??? (Maybe more)
- Cost
Sounds like you're looking for INH to produce and release your DVD.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

sikraiken wrote:

- Menu Selection
-- Best stage score runs
-- ??? (Maybe more)
- Cost

I'm looking to do everything by direct RGB capture straight from the PCB. I know someone who could help me out with that, though.
lol.. i just purchased a capture device for PCBs aswell and have something similar in mind, ill send you a PM..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

sikraiken wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
For sikraiken,

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

- Menu Selection
-- Best stage score runs
-- ??? (Maybe more)
- Cost

You could ask a professional audio/video production business about what their fees would be for the specific highlights that you'd want done for your Superplay DVD. They are listed in the phone book under the listing of "Audio/Video Production Services". Just get the intial Superplay footage first and they'll take it from there...and can even produce professional quality looking DVD cover jackets for the DVD cases if it needed be. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

EOJ wrote: Sounds like you're looking for INH to produce and release your DVD.
INH quality, yeah. : )
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: You could ask a professional audio/video production business about what their fees would be for the specific highlights that you'd want done for your Superplay DVD. They are listed in the phone book under the listing of "Audio/Video Production Services". Just get the intial Superplay footage first and they'll take it from there...and can even produce professional quality looking DVD cover jackets for the DVD cases if it needed be. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yeah, I'll definitely do that sometime down the line just to see about how much they would charge if I just went that route. Thanks. : D
Mills

Post by Mills »

Some very sound technical advice from Pc Engine Fan X :D .
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Toss another one up on the list sven.
http://www.nakanoryuzo.co.jp/SYOUHIN/SYOUHIN.html
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
jpj

Post by jpj »

awesome, but how did you find it, if you don't mind me asking?
and could someone translate the gist of it? obviously it's a black label doj dvd (type A and B?), released next month, but does it say anything about score etc? anything special about it?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

It says it gives you both Type A and Type B 2-ALL replays, and both involve a no-miss no-bomb up until the TLB.

It also comes with a 64 page strategy booklet discussing topics such as hyper use and max combos.
Last edited by EOJ on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpj

Post by jpj »

looking closer, looks like a 3+ billion replay...
zakk

Post by zakk »

So the question no one seems to be asking: how can we buy it?
sven666

Post by sven666 »

zakk wrote:So the question no one seems to be asking: how can we buy it?
its not released yet.

cool find anyways, ill update the list sometime soon, keep the list flowing :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
unsane

Post by unsane »

What exactly is an "appreciate" dvd? It's not in the glossary...
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

unsane wrote:What exactly is an "appreciate" dvd? It's not in the glossary...
Good question.
As well, what determines an "Official Guide" or a "Perfect Guide", or a "Complete Guide"
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

MVS just names their superplay DVDs "Appreciate" DVD. Thats all
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

sikraiken wrote: Thanks for the advice. : ) However, what I'm looking for are a few things:

- Menu Selection
-- Best stage score runs
-- ??? (Maybe more)
- Cost

Obviously you can hunt around and find a business that will create a dvd with all that stuff for you, but the cost would likely be prohibitive. However all that stuff can be created on your own relatively easily on a decent/average computer.

Just get all your video files together and nab a dvd authoring program. Make a separate audio track for the commentary, create menus that access all the clips, etc.

Even professional packaging can be done with a decent printer/ dvd labeling program. You'll either need taste/photoshop skills or someone with them to make it look nice, but the technical aspects are easily within reach these days.

Just decide if you are going to devote time or money to solving the problem.
"The art director is always listed as the art director in their games. The programmer is always listed as the programmer."
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

sven666 wrote:
zakk wrote:So the question no one seems to be asking: how can we buy it?
its not released yet.

cool find anyways, ill update the list sometime soon, keep the list flowing :)
Apparently, it can be ordered.
http://nakanoryuzo.cart.fc2.com/
Now to find someone who can actually order it.

Plus, there seems to be whole update to another page of the site.
http://www.nakanoryuzo.co.jp/NEWS/NEWS0001.html
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

im very interested in this one, if anyone could order it please pm me immediately. :)
I like chocolate milk

jpj

Post by jpj »

ditto :D
jpj

Post by jpj »

wow, it's HFD !!
if you can beat ISO, fair fuckin' play.... i wonder if he has a better (more consistent) chain route through stage 4?

definitely wanna get this
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

release date is december 21st apparently
I like chocolate milk

Stan

Post by Stan »

I have the INH Ibara DVD. I am pretty disapointed with the video quality, if you consider that its a DVD. Some of the replays for that game from the internet seem to have better video quality in my opinion.

Can someone comment on the DVDs from other companies, especially the official cave DVDs?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Stan wrote:I have the INH Ibara DVD. I am pretty disapointed with the video quality, if you consider that its a DVD. Some of the replays for that game from the internet seem to have better video quality in my opinion.

Can someone comment on the DVDs from other companies, especially the official cave DVDs?
Well the DOJ DVD was pretty good I thought (why can't they ever record in full tate though?), but I've only seen the INH DVDs ripped into avi's so I'm not sure how good/bad they look. The avi's I've seen didn't look awful quality IIRC.

If you're really wanting arcade perfect, the in-game superplays on DOJ and Galuda are as good as you'll ever see.

Arika used to release replays online for Galudas arrange mode, but I can't remember if they were great quality or not.
drboom

Post by drboom »

I know about super-play.co.uk, but are there other sites that you can upload and download superplay/insanity/appreciate runs from? I'm looking for some Mushihimetama, Deathsmiles and Muchi Muchi Pork runs.
In fact, I'm dying to see some more Deathsmiles as its on my buy list (not this month, tho).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

omg, i just watched the dualplay black label DVD, sick beyond belief, not only does this dude no miss/no bomb up to hibachi but he fucking chains most of it too :shock: (entire stage 1&2 for instance, and 15000hit on boss 4!)

finishes with 280mil for player 1 and 180mil player 2, INSANE!

i watched it back to back with the mushi ultra dualplay vid and that one looks like a cakewalk in comparison :lol:

so cool that theyve filmed the players hands in both aswell, the dude uses all three buttons in both games on a bogstandard astro setup :P
jpj

Post by jpj »

dual play? are you fucking kidding me????
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

jpj wrote:dual play? are you fucking kidding me????
I'm putting $ down that he meant dual as in two seperate plays. I can't see anyone making a dual-player run in this game.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

sven666 wrote:so cool that theyve filmed the players hands in both aswell, the dude uses all three buttons in both games on a bogstandard astro setup :P
I think you're losing your $, Limbrooke. :)
Another thing is that I've never heard about a DOJ BL dual play DVD.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Limbrooke wrote:
jpj wrote:dual play? are you fucking kidding me????
I'm putting $ down that he meant dual as in two seperate plays. I can't see anyone making a dual-player run in this game.
why dont you paypal me that cash straight away cause thats exactly what it is ;) like i said it also films the players hands (like the infamous Ikaruga dualplay vids) and trust me it is SICK.

ive never seen the vid before neither but it is Vol:2 of a series, the mushi Ultra being Vol:1, capture quality is ecellent and definetly not a VHS rip, got it off yahoo and had to pay deerly for it.