Don't hate on easy shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

If anyone mentions Zanac Neo then he misses the point of the thread, game gets retardly hard on area 7... not to mention area 9 has ultimate ships which use your sub-weapons (!!) and are very hard to take down, final boss is extreme too....

The point of this game is to point out games that are easy through all moments not 2/3
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Kaiser wrote:If anyone mentions Zanac Neo then he misses the point of the thread, game gets retardly hard on area 7... not to mention area 9 has ultimate ships which use your sub-weapons (!!) and are very hard to take down, final boss is extreme too....

The point of this game is to point out games that are easy through all moments not 2/3
For winning, use the FC Custom in Zanac Neo. FC Custom is make Zanac Neo far more managible :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Even with the non-hidden ships it's not all that hard, the game gives you tons of extra lives.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

tumiki fighters
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
stanski

Post by stanski »

karous :-D
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Kaiser wrote:If anyone mentions Zanac Neo then he misses the point of the thread, game gets retardly hard on area 7... not to mention area 9 has ultimate ships which use your sub-weapons (!!) and are very hard to take down, final boss is extreme too....

Zanac NES is pretty easy. I've finished it a lot of times with more than 30 extra lives on reserve. Of course, I am an experienced Compile shmupper, and have finished Zanac like dozens of times, but still, I think any average shmupper can do it without much trouble.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

Space Bomber

It's not as easy as some may like, but it's easier than quite a few things.

The plot and gimmick mechanic are pretty whacky.
Rob

Post by Rob »

shoe-sama wrote:Space Bomber
strike 3
szycag

Post by szycag »

Notice how I haven't added anything shoesama wrote?
That is Galactic Dancing
Jon

Post by Jon »

Star Parodia is stupidly easy and still manages to be pretty fun. I also like the previously mentioned Coryoon and Magical Chase.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Thanks guys, a few more updates and I'll tidy up the list a bit. Probably by platform or developer. Like I said, you can make your case for stuff you think should or shouldn't go on that list.

In my personal opinion none of those games kick as much ass as Lords of Thunder (except TFIII of course, duh)
That is Galactic Dancing
Jon

Post by Jon »

BulletMagnet wrote:Even with the non-hidden ships it's not all that hard, the game gives you tons of extra lives.
I can see his point though. I spend the majority of the game with a huge stockpile of extra lives and the last stage makes me chew right through them.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Rob wrote:I know I'm probably considered a hater, but excellent thread. I like older 16-bit style games a little on the easy side. TF3 > Gaiares.

AIR ZONK
I always found Gaiares to be a pretensious game. 8 or so minute long intro, pretty unforgiving difficulty (though not impossible), very long. Then those ads in US mags with some mullet adorned kid telling us how this game "smokes". I mean, fuck off. TF3 has aged better than that game.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Awesome thread!

Zanac Neo definitely belongs on the master list. If I can 1CC the game (with FC Custom) without much sweat, then it is easy (with FC Custom).
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Yeah, but the FC Custom's the game's hidden Über-1337 death machine. Most of it's weapons can simply neutralize any enemy bullets. The game has some tough moments otherwise, though maybe it should still be considered easy because of the lives you can stockpile and the continue option.

I'm not sure the SNES U.N. Squadron should be listed either, since that ceiling boss has stopped many players cold.

Now what hasn't been mentioned? Let's see...

Gradius II for Game Boy is on the easy side, but you should already know that. :wink:

The infamous Genesis port of Zero Wing is easy (unlike the cruel arcade version), though I fell asleep before playing all the way through.

Final Soldier's pretty easy, though the game isn't so hot.

The PCE version of Mr. Heli's a cakewalk save for one cheap boss.

Silk Worm is ridiculously easy.

Black Widow is like an easier version of Robotron.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Zanac Neo? Very easy. I cleared the game on the second try...using the Hammer Duke and weapon 2 (strong, forward-only laser) 99% of the time.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

szycag wrote:Thanks guys, a few more updates and I'll tidy up the list a bit. Probably by platform or developer. Like I said, you can make your case for stuff you think should or shouldn't go on that list.

In my personal opinion none of those games kick as much ass as Lords of Thunder (except TFIII of course, duh)
I think Gleylancer is consider many folks here for being "too easy".

Here is my case:

exibit a

exibit b

Anyways, I think Gleylancer is one of the fine games of Mega Drive/Genesis -- there are some people who are dog it for its high price and lack of difficult :roll: Please put it on the list szycag :D

The info line:
Gleylancer - NCS/Masaya - Mega Drive/Genesis
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

szycag wrote:Notice how I haven't added anything shoesama wrote?
Don't hate on shoe-sama
szycag

Post by szycag »

:wink:
That is Galactic Dancing
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Mortificator wrote:The infamous Genesis port of Zero Wing is easy (unlike the cruel arcade version), though I fell asleep before playing all the way through.
That might explain why you find it easy. Unlike the ones that come before them, the last two levels present a considerable cahllenge and the last boss is retardedly difficult to beat.
jp

Post by jp »

Blast Wind

I 1CC'd it on my second try. Regardless, its still one of my top 3 shooters. Its just so much fun, and the gameplay is just so damn good. 8)

Oddly enough, I had a friend over and was going to let him 1CC Blast Wind since he had never 1CC'd a shmup. But when he tried it he couldn't get past the first boss on one credit. But he can easily get to stage 3 of Raiden 3 on one credit. Go fig.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Arrow Flash
Thunderforce AC
X-Out
Hybris
Menace

and

Gradius Gaiden Loop 1
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

jp wrote:Blast Wind…Oddly enough, I had a friend over and was going to let him 1CC Blast Wind since he had never 1CC'd a shmup. But when he tried it he couldn't get past the first boss on one credit. But he can easily get to stage 3 of Raiden 3 on one credit. Go fig.
I fail at Blast Wind :oops:
I can only manage Stage 5 or 6 on one credit :cry:
I play it this weekend and see which stage I fail at for sure :oops:
jp

Post by jp »

Sonic R wrote:
jp wrote:Blast Wind…Oddly enough, I had a friend over and was going to let him 1CC Blast Wind since he had never 1CC'd a shmup. But when he tried it he couldn't get past the first boss on one credit. But he can easily get to stage 3 of Raiden 3 on one credit. Go fig.
I fail at Blast Wind :oops:
I can only manage Stage 5 or 6 on one credit :cry:
I play it this weekend and see which stage I fail at for sure :oops:

Stage 5 or Stage 4? Don't change routes in Stage 5, thats the easier route. For the Drad just keep the shield in front of you for the first part, it'll block all the shots. Then just keep to the sides for the second part so the laser.

For Stage 6, route 2 is your best bet, since route 1 has the wall-walker thingy, and it is quite nasty.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

jp wrote:Oddly enough, I had a friend over and was going to let him 1CC Blast Wind since he had never 1CC'd a shmup. But when he tried it he couldn't get past the first boss on one credit. But he can easily get to stage 3 of Raiden 3 on one credit. Go fig.
Like I said, I usually see this on Compile shmups. People who are used to play shmups can breeze over the Compile ones, but people who aren't used to shmups are destroyed by Compile ones. I've seen the scene of someone losing all lives on the first 45 seconds of Aleste 2 too many times to know.

And those same peole usually can at least get at 1-3 at Strikers 1945, or level 3 of Gradius Gaiden, for example.
jp

Post by jp »

Shatterhand wrote:
jp wrote:Oddly enough, I had a friend over and was going to let him 1CC Blast Wind since he had never 1CC'd a shmup. But when he tried it he couldn't get past the first boss on one credit. But he can easily get to stage 3 of Raiden 3 on one credit. Go fig.
Like I said, I usually see this on Compile shmups. People who are used to play shmups can breeze over the Compile ones, but people who aren't used to shmups are destroyed by Compile ones. I've seen the scene of someone losing all lives on the first 45 seconds of Aleste 2 too many times to know.

And those same peole usually can at least get at 1-3 at Strikers 1945, or level 3 of Gradius Gaiden, for example.
Interesting. Maybe its because games from Compile and Blast Wind start off at a fairly medium difficult and don't really have dramatic increases in difficulty as you go from level to level, whereas games like Gradius, Strikers, Raiden III, etc. start off fairly easy but around stage 3 the difficulty starts dramatically increasing for every new level.
FRO

Re: Don't hate on easy shmups

Post by FRO »

szycag wrote:Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)
Blazing Lazers (PCE)
QFT! Both are outstanding games that didn't take me long to 1CC, but both are loads of fun to play with good graphics, great soundtracks, and just plain fun.
clp

Post by clp »

stanski wrote:karous :-D
yeh karous is easy in terms of completing the game but is hard if you wanna get a 3 billion + score
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn, a double post due to dodgy connection. I'll edit this with another in a sec, or perhaps someone can delete it. >_>

EDIT: And Gekirindan. Not a complete pushover, but quite a reasonable Taito vert. None of Rayforce's crushing pressure. I like it as a chillout shooter so much it's my current avatar. Also has a nice soundtrack.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thunder Cross (JP version) is good clean proto-Gradius V Type 3 fun that won't break your balls. It will boot you instantly if you game over on the last boss, but he's almost like a Gradius last boss homage. Excellent Konami Kukeiha Club soundtrack too.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.