Replacing X-arcade joystick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LRa

Replacing X-arcade joystick

Post by LRa »

Hi,
I want to replace my x-arcade joystick with a Sanwa ball top. Is there anything special I should get? or every joystick is standard size with standard placed screw holes?
Thanks
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Japanese sticks like Sanwa and Seimitsu require thin mounting plates (HORI real arcade pro for example). The X-Arcade has a thick piece of particle board and will only work with HAPP or HAPP-like sticks.

Is it possible? Sure, but it may not be worth the effort. An excellent place to ask or research this question is: Shoryuken

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums

Look in the hardware forum.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

We had a topic about this a long time ago in the previous shmups forum. I have little interest in shoddy American arcade controls or else I could remember the details of what was said. Though I seem to recall it was 8 1/2 that found it was possible to install the Sanwa JLW (like Ultimarc sells, with taller shaft) into X-Arcade without need for metal mounting plate's thin surface.
LRa

Post by LRa »

oxtsu wrote:We had a topic about this a long time ago in the previous shmups forum. I have little interest in shoddy American arcade controls or else I could remember the details of what was said. Though I seem to recall it was 8 1/2 that found it was possible to install the Sanwa JLW (like Ultimarc sells, with taller shaft) into X-Arcade without need for metal mounting plate's thin surface.
The previous forum messages were deleted right?
Anyway isn't Sanwa JLW bat type?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

LRa - They are still around somewhere, only not accessible by the adminstrators to retrieve. Basically, yes, they are vanished for now. :(

About Sanwa JLW, one comes standard with ball-top, then there is a variation with a thicker shaft (for surviving the man-handling western playing style...j/k), which comes standard with bat-top or 45mm (BIG) ball-top. In any case, the Sanwa bat-top is sold seperately and compatible with all (current model) Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks if you'd like to have it. The microswitch assembly and build on JLW is not as tight/high quality as the standard bearer JLF. Something to consider as well.
Last edited by oxtsu on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LRa

Post by LRa »

oxtsu wrote:LRa - They are still around somewhere, only not accessible by the adminstrators to retrieve. Basically, yes, they are vanished for now. :(

About Sanwa JLW, one comes standard with ball-top, then there is a variation with a thicker shaft (for surviving the man-handling western playing style...j/k), which comes standard with bat-top or 45mm (BIG) ball-top. In any case, the Sanwa bat-top is sold seperately and compatible with all (current model) Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks if you'd like to have it. The microswitch assembly and build on JLM is not as tight/high quality as the standard bearer JLF. Something to consider as well.
JLM or JLW ?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

JLW. Typo..sorry about that.
LRa

Post by LRa »

Weird, the JLF are cheaper...
Anyway there's JLW-TM-8 which is 35mm and JLW-UM-8-LB45 which is 45mm.
What is standard 35 or 45?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

JLF are cheaper most likely because of simpler mechanism and higher production run. Still, JLW is not so bad performance, just not recommended over JLF. Main benefit is when it's needed for the particular application/cabinet type. I think it was designed specifically for Ultimarc in European market but not 100% sure.

35mm is standard size ball-top, and the only one I find comfortable. Honestly the 45 is so huge I would only imagine some NBA player having any good feeling with them. The larger size, heavier ball-top increases leverage which is making the stick feeling more soft. There's more effective ways to lighten the feeling though, like cutting the spring down.
LRa

Post by LRa »

I see, so I should go with the JLW-TM-8, and should have no problems without any modifications(though the metal arm seems very short).
Thanks
Last edited by LRa on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Hold on now...there is most likely some slight mod needed (like screw mount area). I recall that he really had to shoe-horn it in there, but it did fit without cutting away a section of wood control panel to replace with metal, that's main point. Take my words lightly here since I've not done it myself. Hopefully 8 1/2 or someone else that performed the operation will chime in here with further detail.
LRa

Post by LRa »

Is the JLW metal arm shorter than the JLF ?
LRa

Post by LRa »

Cugel wrote:Japanese sticks like Sanwa and Seimitsu require thin mounting plates (HORI real arcade pro for example). The X-Arcade has a thick piece of particle board and will only work with HAPP or HAPP-like sticks.

Is it possible? Sure, but it may not be worth the effort. An excellent place to ask or research this question is: Shoryuken

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums

Look in the hardware forum.
I tried there(shoryuken) and they have no idea...
LRa

Post by LRa »

Does anyone know to which Sanwa stick the J-stik from here :
http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html
corresponds ?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I posted reply on Saturday which is vanished now, again...

From my recollection, JLW is taller than JLF by small amount. Unknown exactly the dimension though, since I didn't measure the JLW when I had the stock at one time.

The J-Stick that Ultimarc sells is 'near' identical to Sanwa part# JLW-TM-8, and JLW-UM-8-LB30N.

Good luck with your X-Arcade mod. :)
LRa

Post by LRa »

oxtsu wrote:I posted reply on Saturday which is vanished now, again...

From my recollection, JLW is taller than JLF by small amount. Unknown exactly the dimension though, since I didn't measure the JLW when I had the stock at one time.

The J-Stick that Ultimarc sells is 'near' identical to Sanwa part# JLW-TM-8, and JLW-UM-8-LB30N.

Good luck with your X-Arcade mod. :)
Thanks
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Thought I should use this old thread rather than create a new one. I've managed to install 2 Seimitsu LS33 sticks into a Duel X-Arcade stick. Fairly simple procedure which just involved a bit of chiseling away of the X-Arcades insides. The hardest part was removing the original sticks as X-Gaming had decided to glue all the screws and bolts into place.

Pics,

The LS33s are the perfect height for this mod.

The 2P stick, not wired up yet.

My apalling wiring. Also note that I mounted the first sticks mounting brackets vertically. This will have to be redone horizontally as the bracket covers the original sticks carrage bolt holes so it currently looks untidy on top.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

There is another way. Assuming that you're never going to use the X-Arcade stick again, simply cut the casing off the stick, then grind what remains so that you're left with a flat plastic mounting plate. Simply measure the JLF and calculate where the holes need to be drilled. Mount that puppy to the X-Arcade and you're good to go. I can attest personally that this works.
destructor

Post by destructor »

oxtsu wrote:The J-Stick that Ultimarc sells is 'near' identical to Sanwa part# JLW-TM-8, and JLW-UM-8-LB30N.
Ultimarc stick is long 69mm, Japan stick is 65mm. Spring can be different too (I'm not sure).
http://www.kowal.itcom.pl/ArcadeParts_pliki/JLW.htm
Learn Polish Language ;)

For JLF you can mount octagonal restrictor, for JLW circle. Circle restrictors are available on Ultimarc.
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

How about a Mag Stik? ;)[/code]
np: Image
D

Post by D »

destructor wrote:
oxtsu wrote:The J-Stick that Ultimarc sells is 'near' identical to Sanwa part# JLW-TM-8, and JLW-UM-8-LB30N.
Ultimarc stick is long 69mm, Japan stick is 65mm. Spring can be different too (I'm not sure).
Learn Polish Language ;)

For JLF you can mount octagonal restrictor, for JLW circle. Circle restrictors are available on Ultimarc.
Wow that site looks awesome.
Grrrrr :twisted: There is no Polish-English web translator grrrrr. :evil:
Where's the English flag picture/link
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

fl0w wrote:How about a Mag Stik? ;)[/code]
Mag Stik? Yes. Mag Stik Plus? No. Well...not without modding the X-Arcade case.
destructor

Post by destructor »

D wrote:
destructor wrote:
Learn Polish Language ;)

Wow that site looks awesome.
Grrrrr :twisted: There is no Polish-English web translator grrrrr. :evil:
Where's the English flag picture/link
As on mainpage is written kowal want to find peoples to translate site. Later I will give to you link with Polish-English translator.