Rob's 91-95 arcade countdown: hidden gem search.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
boagman

Post by boagman »

crithit5000 wrote:
filthy little dominatrix called Viewpoint
:| DISTURBING :|
Don't I know it. Quite the accurate picture, though.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Jesus, I spent like ten minutes going through and editing the post for the lols...but then I realized I was only halfway through. So, I'll be serious:

If you can't handle a bit of a different perspective, then perhaps you're not ready to graduate to the internets.

Other random things to deal with:

1.) The game's graphics are dated. Speaking from a purely artistic standpoint, it does well against most any early 3D game, but nobody can look at viewpoint and say "wow those flat shaded polygons are not dated because they exercised the foresight to future-proof them by PRE RENDERING THEM MUAHAHA OUR POLYGONS SHALL BE SULLIED BY NO Z-FIGHTING A'TALL"

2.) tl;dr

3.) I don't know shit about the game, but I do have the FM-Towns version. I played it on a $2 MSX2 joypad that resembled an oversized smashed jellybean. It came with a smashed up Panasonic FS-A1 computer. It had precisely two buttons and a little cross pad.

4.) I wouldn't accuse the game of being pretentious. Silly humans, visuals are too good for your feeble eyes. LET'S SEE YOU BEAT A SHMUP WITH YOUR BARE EARS: NO GRAPHICS ALLOWED. It should be clear why such a different type of viewpoint would be at odds with the competitive nature of players on this Forum in general.

5.) I will admit that there are many people who know this game better than me, and I don't think I've ever been the best at any game, besides the ones I created in my own head, and perhaps I was the best at Crimson Land's survival mode, for a few minutes. Having played the game for a few minutes, I can say that I'm better at it than at least 90% of the Earth's population, with the exception of the original development team, boagman, some guys in Japan (they moved onto Strikers '45 Plus - OH THE SHAME), and some dead refugees who couldn't dodge bullets because they trained with Space Invaders instead of a 3D spatial awareness simulator, such as GLQuake or Tomb Raider.

[Laundry list of things I've eaten and their effects on my digestion]

Also, since we're free to be subjective all up in here, I'm going to say that to me, Super Contra is a better shmup than Viewpoint. It adds gravity and better weapons.

p.s. my initial reaction was to want to play Ghost Pilots, although thankfully I didn't
boagman

Post by boagman »

crithit5000 wrote:
and if I won the lottery, I'd honestly see if I could legitimately put back the original team for a sequel...
If that doesn't pan out, perhaps you could buy Cave and force them to put their spin on whatever the hell subgenre of gaming this is.
Crap, sorry for the double post.

The subgenre would probably be isometrics, and there is *no way on God's green earth* that I would entrust Cave to do anything but mess it up. I mean, Jiminy. You don't install Chauncey The Monkey-Boy as the guy in charge of readying the space shuttle for its next mission, do you? At least, not unless you *want* it to turn out all wrong, disasterous, and covered in the stench of death.

Isometric games are just so few and far between, it's almost like they're in a subgenre as small as games like Cabal, Blood Bros., Nam-1975, and the few others that would qualify. I can probably count the number of isometric shooters that I'm familiar with on one hand...and I might not need all the fingers.

::sigh:: Now I'm getting all depressed.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

boagman wrote:Nam-1975 and Magician Lord were *great* stinking games to hold me over until I could find it.
Magician Lord? Please tell me you're joking. I'd rather be kicked in the groin by a Sambo champ wearing steeltoes than play that game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the original cab had a device to do exactly that.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

After seeing Viewpoint in this thread It would not suprise me to see Slapfight ("because the ship is too big" BS) or Truxton ("because the game is too hard" BS) pop up too.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

bsidwell wrote:
boagman wrote:Nam-1975 and Magician Lord were *great* stinking games to hold me over until I could find it.
Magician Lord? Please tell me you're joking. I'd rather be kicked in the groin by a Sambo champ wearing steeltoes than play that game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the original cab had a device to do exactly that.
Also: Nam-1975. Clearly, this man has withstood gaming hell for years and learned to enjoy it, and apparently shunning decent games as a result.

I'm afraid of what he'll think of nearly every entry in PHFSTGT.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
boagman

Post by boagman »

bsidwell wrote:
I wish I could tell you that; I can't. I spent many, many hours guiding Elta through, and while I was never *quite* able to 1CC it, I came darned close, and knew it was completely attainable.

It's another in that "pleasure-spiked-with-copious-amounts-of-pain" category for me, and I love besting this stuff. Give me your Viewpoints, your Magician Lords, your NAM-1975s, your Ghosts 'n' Goblins series...it's my mission to tame them, and tame them I have.

I don't know that I've ever met anyone else who's beaten NAM-1975 without dying. That's just the kind of idiot I am.

Oh, and to those who *own* NAM-1975 but have never beaten it? Hang your heads in shame until you do. It's totally worth it.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

PHF? Do I want to know? If not, kindly leave me ignorant.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Twiddle wrote:Also: Nam-1975. Clearly, this man has withstood gaming hell for years and learned to enjoy it, and apparently shunning decent games as a result.

I'm afraid of what he'll think of nearly every entry in PHFSTGT.
Guilty as stinking charged, though I must fire off a *major* league "OBJECTION!" when referring to NAM-1975 as "gaming hell." It's bliss, my friend, bliss. Oh, and *that's* a game that I'd admit to having some seriously dated graphics. But the gameplay? Marvel-stinking-ous.

These types of games aren't *all* I play, but I can pretty safely say that they're the ones that have provided me with the greatest triumphs, moments, and memories. I darned well *loved* killing the ever-living crap out of Muckly at the end of NAM-1975. It's a game that *makes* you learn to beat it...or you get *nothing*. There was something about that that I just couldn't let go. Imagine that. ;)

This might sound stupid, but what's "PHFSTGT"?
BBH

Post by BBH »

bsidwell wrote:Magician Lord? Please tell me you're joking. I'd rather be kicked in the groin by a Sambo champ wearing steeltoes than play that game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the original cab had a device to do exactly that.
Magician Lord is not a bad game.
Twiddle wrote:Also: Nam-1975. Clearly, this man has withstood gaming hell for years and learned to enjoy it, and apparently shunning decent games as a result.
Neither is NAM-1975.
boagman wrote:I don't know that I've ever met anyone else who's beaten NAM-1975 without dying. That's just the kind of idiot I am.
hey yo
thewestexit

Post by thewestexit »

bsidwell wrote:
Are you kidding? Magician Lord is a great platform action game. The best 1st gen Neo Geo release by far IMO.
boagman

Post by boagman »

BBH wrote:
boagman wrote:I don't know that I've ever met anyone else who's beaten NAM-1975 without dying. That's just the kind of idiot I am.
hey yo
Really? Color me very impressed! I know what a feat that was, as it took so long for me to get that good. That game was just such a wicked game at the arcade, teasing you with the continue-kill, and having it do the same thing at home was inspired..."No easy run-throughs! You want the goods? You *make me give it up*! Otherwise, DIE!"

Pain/anguish is a highly motivating factor. ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

yojo! wrote:After seeing Viewpoint in this thread It would not suprise me to see Slapfight ("because the ship is too big" BS) or Truxton ("because the game is too hard" BS) pop up too.
pre-91
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

boagman wrote:Guilty as stinking charged, though I must fire off a *major* league "OBJECTION!" when referring to NAM-1975 as "gaming hell." It's bliss, my friend, bliss. Oh, and *that's* a game that I'd admit to having some seriously dated graphics. But the gameplay? Marvel-stinking-ous.
It's been getting less enjoyable the last few times I've played it.

Soundly thrashed by better games such as Cabal, GI Joe, Blood Bros, and Devastators, in my view (nevermind those are all konami/fabtek releases).

Yeah, I've got the cardboard box release of NAM-1975 too, though I never have gotten very good at it.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I think I saw a brief bit of Magician Lord when my friend had a Neo Geo (he sold it after a very short while). I didn't actually get to play it, but it looked pretty fun =/
Rob

Post by Rob »

Arvandor wrote:but it looked pretty fun =/
Shoulda been Neo Geo's slogan.
BBH

Post by BBH »

boagman wrote:Really? Color me very impressed! I know what a feat that was, as it took so long for me to get that good. That game was just such a wicked game at the arcade, teasing you with the continue-kill, and having it do the same thing at home was inspired..."No easy run-throughs! You want the goods? You *make me give it up*! Otherwise, DIE!"
Well, I never did it when it was in the arcade, I didn't learn how to beat the last boss until it was emulated and it became easier to practice things. I've done it legit since then, though.

The thing that really irritates me about NAM is the "random" bosses you may or may not fight after a level. It makes playing for score absolutely retarded. It's pretty funny because whenever I play it nowadays, if I get the first "random" extra boss (the crane thing) I usually die on it.
Pain/anguish is a highly motivating factor. ;)
After your dominatrix analogy, I think we've learned a little too much about your fetishes...
boagman

Post by boagman »

Arvandor wrote:I think I saw a brief bit of Magician Lord when my friend had a Neo Geo (he sold it after a very short while). I didn't actually get to play it, but it looked pretty fun =/
It certainly was; it was just brutally hard. It's one of the few games that I've ever played where the sub-bosses were harder to figure out/beat than the actual level bosses were. Still, altogether satisfying, especially being able to kill a twit who had the audacity to claim that I was imprudent while, in the next breath, claiming deity/immortality, all with a far-too-smug-to-live smirk on his face.

Bah. I'm calling a penalty on myself for going too far OT in this thread.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Ok, let's get back to the countdown. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Rob wrote:
Arvandor wrote:but it looked pretty fun =/
Shoulda been Neo Geo's slogan.
:lol:

Chelnov > Magician Lord, just to name one

ML looks like it wanted to be a bit like Psycho-Nics Oscar, or Xain'd Sleena, or something, but then they pulled in the camera. Being able to shoot overhead is nifty. Note that it's not as useful as being able to shoot diagonally to kill one of those blasted swooping creatures that drop food pellets on you. Ah yes, four-way shooting - another curse of the Neo (Ninja Spirit to Metal Slug, not a positive change there)

I would like my platformers to have more than one way of dealing with an enemy. Oh no, a horde of skeletons! MASHMASHMASH. Oh no, a bizarre purple beast! I shall duck and be saved!

In fact, I think that if you just took the dude running around in Dragon Breed you'd still have a better game than ML is
Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
D

Post by D »

Why not first list all of the shmups from that era (without images)
Then we can decide in what order they should be.
Then we can argue and fight with each other who should up or lower which title in their list.
Succes guaranteed!
Rob

Post by Rob »

D wrote:Then we can decide in what order they should be.
Then we can argue and fight with each other who should up or lower which title in their list.
Succes guaranteed!
Top 25 results/discussion thread.

#66 Ultra X Weapons (Banpresto, 1995)
ImageImageImageImage
Psikyo Jr. during the levels and Compile during the bosses. The graphics are very ugly.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#65 Final Star Force (Tecmo, 1992)
ImageImageImageImage
SNES-style update, with lots of slowdown and a lot less challenge. Remember some of these backgrounds? That's all it has in common with the original, since they drained it of its simple charms. Generic 16-bit console exclusive style vertical.
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

Psikyo Jr. during the levels and Compile during the bosses. The graphics are very ugly.
holy hell, yes they are. That shot on the right is really something else.
Rob

Post by Rob »

#64 Acrobat Mission (UPL, 1991)
ImageImageImageImage
An early, less polished version of XII Stag (wiggle side shot for bonus points - useless in practice here). Weak firepower or highly durable enemies. Guide your ship to its doom after you get hit by the bullets from enemies you can barely destroy.

Less enjoyable than SNES version.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Robjob you should put the entire thing in the first post. :idea:
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

That would make the following discussions between each section pretty difficult to follow. This way flows better, even if it is a bit more tedious for those who just want to see the list (but... the discussion is most of the amusement).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

JoshF wrote:Robjob you should put the entire thing in the first post. :idea:
..forum would crash everytime fighter17 posted :P
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Rob

Post by Rob »

Arvandor wrote:for those who just want to see the list
Keeping it updated in the first post.

I do like the discussion/harrassment between entries.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

double post
Last edited by Ceph on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.