Treasure: New DS Game Countdown: Bangai-O Spirits

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Turrican wrote:
Frogacuda wrote:
Turrican wrote:my hopes:

1) it's an original project

2) it's almost as good as Astro, and hopefully not as bad as their recent lineup.
The only games they've done recently are the Bleach games, which are excellent, especially the second one.

And since you didn't even know they had done a DS game, it's clear you're just talking out of your ass on this one anyway.

I hope they do a beat 'em up using the Bleach engine for their next game, in fact. It would be like Guardian Heroes but way better.
Nope, it just means our concept of "recent" are different. I was referring to Advance Guardian Heroes / Gunstar Super Heroes, both less than spectacular.
AGH was largely a different team (with some overlap, though) than their normal handheld team. Masaki Ukyo and Tetsuhiko Kikuchi were prominent forces there. Also, the main designer and programmer of GSH was Hideyuki Suganami, a freelance guy (he was staff for many, many years, but left after Sin and Punishment).
MathU

Post by MathU »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Oh, god, NO. Astro Boy's populatiry still baffles me.
How so? It's a licensed game of a very popular show. If it's even slightly decent it will be popular.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Frogacuda wrote:
Turrican wrote:
Frogacuda wrote:The only games they've done recently are the Bleach games, which are excellent, especially the second one.

And since you didn't even know they had done a DS game, it's clear you're just talking out of your ass on this one anyway.

I hope they do a beat 'em up using the Bleach engine for their next game, in fact. It would be like Guardian Heroes but way better.
Nope, it just means our concept of "recent" are different. I was referring to Advance Guardian Heroes / Gunstar Super Heroes, both less than spectacular.
AGH was largely a different team (with some overlap, though) than their normal handheld team. Masaki Ukyo and Tetsuhiko Kikuchi were prominent forces there. Also, the main designer and programmer of GSH was Hideyuki Suganami, a freelance guy (he was staff for many, many years, but left after Sin and Punishment).
So what? Sounds pretty defensive considering I was just talking out of my ass...

The games are labeled Treasure... I thank you that you took time to analyze the staff variations to explain the less than stellar results, but it doesn't change this fact one bit. Whichever team they had on Guardian, they had to have quality check at the end of production to see how it was going. When they give a game green lights, they take my criticism for it regardless on the guy on board.

Oh, and forgive me if I don't rush out to buy every anime tie-in Treasure makes to stay alive...
X - P - B
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Oh, god, NO. Astro Boy's populatiry still baffles me.
I can understand not agreeing with it being a spiritual successor to Alien Soldier, but you really didn't like the game? I thought it was pretty fun (though I know nothing of the anime).
sfried

Post by sfried »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:The problem with easy games is that they bore me to death. GSH is definitely easier than Contra. You can fuck around a lot in GSH and sometimes I didn't even care if I got hit. Hell, I even took bathroom breaks in the 3D levels :lol:.
Say that while playing the chopper game on hard...

Anyways, I actually like Gunstar Super Heroes. It still keeps me entertained. Same thing with Advance Guardian Heroes (different in its own right. Some say it plays like that pulled-off-the-shelf game Rakugaki Showtime).
Turrican wrote:my hopes:

1) it's an original project

2) it's almost as good as Astro, and hopefully not as bad as their recent lineup.
3) Character designs by HAN and music by NON.
Last edited by sfried on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Oh, god, NO. Astro Boy's populatiry still baffles me.
The difficulty gets rather hard, the scenarios are well varied, it has excellent control, and it has a combo system of sorts for score. The level structure isn't to everyone's tastes, but the actual levels are well designed. Keep in mind this is the US/EU version I'm referring to. The JP version has inferior level design and lacks the hard mode of the US/EU version.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

BrianC wrote: The JP version has inferior level design and lacks the hard mode of the US/EU version.
It lack the HARD mode? Of all things!

GSH is a very well made graphic demo for the GBA IMHO (The first level boss still knocks my socks of; it´s hard to believe the GBA can make such fluid sprites if you program it properly for once). Other than that, it really lacks in the gameplay department. For every good game Treasure has put out, there is at least one mediocre game (Silpheed anyone? That was BAD). They don´t have as much consistency in their games as I used to believe. Their good games, however, are indeed GREAT.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

BrianC wrote:
Oh, god, NO. Astro Boy's populatiry still baffles me.
The difficulty gets rather hard, the scenarios are well varied, it has excellent control, and it has a combo system of sorts for score. The level structure isn't to everyone's tastes, but the actual levels are well designed. Keep in mind this is the US/EU version I'm referring to. The JP version has inferior level design and lacks the hard mode of the US/EU version.
I played US/EU
version of the astro boy on gba...... it was most complicated platform game for GBA story-wise, trust me once you're on second playing of the game you'll know what i mean
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

But it says "Strategy RPG."
eight

Post by eight »

So?
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Oh god, please NO. I'd be out of words if the "new" game turned into another bleach game. I'll just quote AVGN:

"I remember reading about that and being so excited. I couldn't wait to see that movie [Super Mario Brothers], but it was like waiting for a buffalo to take a shit all over your face."
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

[quote]For every good game Treasure has put out, there is at least one mediocre game (Silpheed anyone? That was BAD). They don´t have as much consistency in their games as I used to believe. Their good games, however, are indeed GREAT./quote]

I think this is true just for their PS2-Era games. On the Mega-Drive their library is unbeatable, and on the 32-bits systems (and the N64) is just as awesome.

I can't understand how they fucked up Silpheed so much. The Sega-CD game is better than the PS2 one.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

It can't be a Bleach game since Sega has the license to that series.
cody

Post by cody »

Shatterhand wrote: On the Mega-Drive their library is unbeatable . . .
I can't understand how they fucked up Silpheed so much.
Light Crusader is a P.O.S. Dynamite headdy has some interesting ideas, but is nowhere near the same league as gunstar or alien soldier. Mcdonalds TLA . . . different strokes, I suppose. I'd say treasure was at best batting .750 on the megadrive, as opposed to .500 these days. They've always been uneven, comes with the territory when you make games by saying "wouldn't it be cool if" . . . you'll get some novel game mechanics, and some crap.

As for Silpheed, there's really no telling how much of the game design was them, vs. Game Arts.
taresk

Post by taresk »

i hope a shoot em up style radiant silvergun or irakuga....the sequel of this SHOOT VERTICAL...

SHOOT VERTICAL RULEZ!!!

taresk
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Considering how many non-Treasure Bleach games came out on other systems, it's a pretty safe bet that it's not designed by Treasure. It's in a different genre from the Treasure Bleach games, so I doubt that Bleach-The Third Phantom is Bleach 3. The title is probably just related to the plot of the game.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

cody wrote:
Shatterhand wrote: On the Mega-Drive their library is unbeatable . . .
I can't understand how they fucked up Silpheed so much.
Light Crusader is a P.O.S. Dynamite headdy has some interesting ideas, but is nowhere near the same league as gunstar or alien soldier. Mcdonalds TLA . . . different strokes, I suppose. I'd say treasure was at best batting .750 on the megadrive, as opposed to .500 these days. They've always been uneven, comes with the territory when you make games by saying "wouldn't it be cool if" . . . you'll get some novel game mechanics, and some crap.

As for Silpheed, there's really no telling how much of the game design was them, vs. Game Arts.
Light Crusader is a debatable title I agree... but I don't think it's that crap. I think Dynamite Headdy is awesome.... not on same leage as Gunstar or Alien Soldier for sure, but few things on the world are. I think it's unfair to compare Dynamite Headdy to a game that's probably the best game in the system.

And as for Silpheed... yeah, I like to believe Game Arts was the one to blame... yet Silpheed on Sega CD is eons better than the PS2 and it was 100% made by Game Arts.
RyanDG

Post by RyanDG »

To calm some fears, it can't be a Bleach game... The "about to be revealed" game is by ESP and Treasure. Bleach (the likenesses) is currently under license agreement with Sega.
http://www.arcade-renaissance.com - My little home on the web.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

eight wrote:So?
Considering how many non-Treasure Bleach games came out on other systems, it's a pretty safe bet that it's not designed by Treasure. It's in a different genre from the Treasure Bleach games, so I doubt that Bleach-The Third Phantom is Bleach 3.
JJG

Post by JJG »

Radiant Bleachland Adventure?
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

You mean "Super Mirage Dynamite Radiant Bleachland Adventure Gun Soldier Heroes"?
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

My gut is telling me it'll be a on-rail 3d shooter like Sin and Punishment. The huge kanji, the apocalyptic vibe, the countdown... I can see it sucking like hell if it uses the stylus.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote: If we could just get Castlevania 1999
sod off

Anyhow, I wonder how Alien Soldier Sequel and Contra 4 would compare...that'd be interesting to see :D I don't expect to see this, however.
sfried

Post by sfried »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
UnscathedFlyingObject wrote: If we could just get Castlevania 1999
sod off

Anyhow, I wonder how Alien Soldier Sequel and Contra 4 would compare...that'd be interesting to see :D I don't expect to see this, however.
IGA-ruga! A shmup with whipping!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

where does it says it's a treasure game?
eight

Post by eight »

Wait, Shatterhand's right.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Shatterhand wrote:where does it says it's a treasure game?
Right at the beginning of the Flash animation: トレジャー×ESP

:wink:
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

so this "トレジャー×" means tresaure ? Because I don't have the slightest idea.
RyanDG

Post by RyanDG »

Its a new Bangaioh

Famitsu Weekly spoiled it -
DS | Bangaioh Tamashii
ESP
This winter
- 4 players via wireless play
- stage editor included
http://www.arcade-renaissance.com - My little home on the web.