Treasure: New DS Game Countdown: Bangai-O Spirits

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
eight

Post by eight »

Calling Gunstar Heroes 'less than spectacular' is blasphemy.
JJG

Post by JJG »

I'd say the Astro Boy game was recent and that imo is probably the best game out for gba.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

eight wrote:Calling Gunstar Heroes 'less than spectacular' is blasphemy.
I was referring to the GBA one, mind you.
X - P - B
sfried

Post by sfried »

Turrican wrote:
Calling that game less than spectacular is still a blasphemy, mind you.
(Not as good as the original, but still better than 99% of the stuff on GBA out there, minus Astro Boy.)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

sfried wrote:
Turrican wrote:
(Not as good as the original, but still better than 99% of the stuff on GBA out there, minus Astro Boy.)
Perspective I guess. I'm pretty sure the original GH is into everyone's MD top ten. I'm far less sure the same applies to the GBA one. Surely not in my top ten (while Astro qualifies in it).

What can I say... Maybe I'm just becoming extremely picky with time.
X - P - B
sfried

Post by sfried »

Turrican wrote:
sfried wrote:
Turrican wrote: I was referring to the GBA one, mind you.
Perspective I guess. I'm pretty sure the original GH is into everyone's MD top ten. I'm far less sure the same applies to the GBA one. Surely not in my top ten (while Astro qualifies in it).

What can I say... Maybe I'm just becoming extremely picky with time.
That's because GBA is kind of like SNES and MD combined in selection (Sonic, anyone?).
JJG

Post by JJG »

The Gunstar Heroes on GBA was good, it was just too short and too easy. It's not a bad game, it's just once you beat it there's no real point in going back to it except time attack.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

It's not a bad game... But It's not the stuff legends are made of, too.

Ten years from now, a niche, overlooked thing like Ninja Five-O is more likely to be remembered than a tired brand-exploiting game that messes with fundamentals (weapon system) and can't probably count a single supporter who'd choose it over its MD grandaddy.

But hey, this has gone far too off-topic.

Bottom line is, Treasure has been quite uneven with recent outcomes, hence my hopes the new title will try to match Astro's qualities.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

JJG wrote:The Gunstar Heroes on GBA was good, it was just too short and too easy. It's not a bad game, it's just once you beat it there's no real point in going back to it except time attack.
Gunstar Super Heroes GBA isn't a bad game, but it does lack polish in some areas. There are a couple areas where the enemies either barely attack you (the Afterburner and Galaxy Force inspired stages) or don't attack at all (the block boss). The rotating helicopter stage is horrible for time attack and awkward to play because of slow movement with a big hit box. Another thing is that too much was taken from Gunstar Heroes. The similar stages in GSH were most often better in the original.

I heard mostly good things about the Bleach DS games, but I also heard that they have terrible AI in the 1p vs. com (or whatever it's called) mode. They still sound rather neat for the multi, though.
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Ten years from now, a niche, overlooked thing like Ninja Five-O is more likely to be remembered than a tired brand-exploiting game that messes with fundamentals (weapon system) and can't probably count a single supporter who'd choose it over its MD grandaddy.
Exactly! And if Ninja Five-O had the proper visual style it would have been the portable Shinobi I'm still waiting for...yeah I know Shinobi3 on PSP is nice too. Ninja Five-O was a superb little title.
Btw, a (spiritual) sequel to Alien Soldier would be awesome :D
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Necronom wrote: Btw, a (spiritual) sequel to Alien Soldier would be awesome :D
We kind of got that already with Astro Boy, and it was indeed awesome.
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

Turrican wrote:It's not a bad game... But It's not the stuff legends are made of, too.

But hey, this has gone far too off-topic.

Bottom line is, Treasure has been quite uneven with recent outcomes, hence my hopes the new title will try to match Astro's qualities.
I get so tired of hearing this line of BS from people. The game is great and better then the original Gunstar Heroes IMO. This elite mindset from some of you is getting old and fast. Super Gunstar Heroes took all the things great about Gunstar Heroes and added extra gameplay elements and depth. Plus it was a hell of a fun game.

I'll say it here GSH > GH.

I can just imagine the line of "OMG IT'S NOT T3H OLD SKOOL TREASURE" members that will follow this post.

Great people I've had deals with:
superhitachi4, KyleRXZero, Canadianzombie, Wanderer, and Strider77.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah, and I also feel like to add that despite some of Treasure's shortcomings, any announcement (with countdown to boot) from them is still an event for any self-respected gamer.

Edit: the above was @Necronom.

And whoa, I can count Jedah Doma among the people who'd choose GSH over GH, go figure. You people do exist, then.
X - P - B
JJG

Post by JJG »

I heard it's gonna be a sequel to their Mcdonalds game! :D
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

JJG wrote:I heard it's gonna be a sequel to their Mcdonalds game! :D
Now that would rock!! :)

Seriously... If they ever want to fall into the sequel trap again, at least give us a Dynamite Headdy Two.
X - P - B
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

JJG wrote:I heard it's gonna be a sequel to their Mcdonalds game! :D
LOL

Yes, that would rock. That reminds me, I need to play that bad boy.

JJG

Post by JJG »

When I first played Treasureland Adventure (I think that's what it's called), I was getting my ass kicked. I didn't understand the game until like the 2nd to last level. I'd never played a game before where you had to let the boss damage you in order to damage it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jedah Doma wrote:Super Gunstar Heroes took all the things great about Gunstar Heroes and added extra gameplay elements and depth.
I don't agree on this. Gunstar Super Heroes took too much from the original and often dumbed things down in comparison. Pinky Roader's first appearance doesn't have any attacks in GSH, unlike in the original. Some sections were way too easy with very little resistance. They took away the mixing of weapons and the throws. I like the new system myself, but I don't feel it adds depth.
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eight

Post by eight »

Turrican wrote:
Oh, that one was called Gunstar Super Heroes, that's where you got me confused!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

eight wrote:
Turrican wrote:
Oh, that one was called Gunstar Super Heroes, that's where you got me confused!
Yup, my bad. Edited that post of mine for the sake of clarity.
X - P - B
eight

Post by eight »

*lol* Thanks, sir.
splitblkribbon

Post by splitblkribbon »

I'm going to go play some mcdonalds treasureland, I'm scared though, I have high expectations for this game. I hope it doesn't let me down, I heard its like gunstar heroes except more explosions.
I'm the world's first dolphin pilot
JJG

Post by JJG »

splitblkribbon wrote:I'm going to go play some mcdonalds treasureland, I'm scared though, I have high expectations for this game. I hope it doesn't let me down, I heard its like gunstar heroes except more explosions.
Someone lied, it's more like a creepy hamburger addicted clown platformer with weird boss battles.
splitblkribbon

Post by splitblkribbon »

JJG wrote:
splitblkribbon wrote:I'm going to go play some mcdonalds treasureland, I'm scared though, I have high expectations for this game. I hope it doesn't let me down, I heard its like gunstar heroes except more explosions.
Someone lied, it's more like a creepy hamburger addicted clown platformer with weird boss battles.
hahaha I was just kidding. By the way, does anyone think its weird that you play as ronald mcdonald, and when you go into the shop to buy something, ronald mcdonald is behind the counter selling you things? Weird.
I'm the world's first dolphin pilot
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

GSH while not bad, is underwhelming. The graphics are mindblowing for a GBA game but it's wayyyyyy too easy. The 3D levels were particularly horrible. Every time there was one when I played it, I went to take a bathroom break or something. It's a challenge to die in one of those levels.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

JJG wrote:The Gunstar Heroes on GBA was good, it was just too short and too easy. It's not a bad game, it's just once you beat it there's no real point in going back to it except time attack.
So, how many times have you beaten the last level on hard without taking damage?
I heard mostly good things about the Bleach DS games, but I also heard that they have terrible AI in the 1p vs. com (or whatever it's called) mode. They still sound rather neat for the multi, though.
It has 1 pak download play, so at least you don't have to convince your friends to buy a copy (you can even use all of the characters.)
The best thing about Gunstar Super Heroes is the perfect control. I played GSH before the original, and I was shocked at how crappily it controlled compared to the sequel. I can see what you're saying about it taking alot of stuff and dumbing it down, though. I still can't believe that there's 1 level in the entire game that's insanely hard while the rest are all really easy once you find your method.
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

What's so bad about a game that's easy. Contra for the NES is easy as can be, but it's a blast to go back through and play over and over again. Easy doesn't make a game any less fun, at least in this instance.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jedah Doma wrote:What's so bad about a game that's easy. Contra for the NES is easy as can be, but it's a blast to go back through and play over and over again. Easy doesn't make a game any less fun, at least in this instance.
The problem I found with GSH isn't simply that it's easy. The shmup like stages with the big hitbox border on cheap. It's near impossible to die in the rotating pseudo 3D stages, even when extremely low on health. There are enemies that barely attack based on enemies that were a bit more fierce in the original. Too much is rehashed from the previous game, like the train sequence with the guys falling out at you. One boss, who was supposed to be one of the harder ones in the game, has a glitch that makes him very easy to beat.

I agree that easy doesn't always make a game less fun, but I feel a lack of polish and a game being easy for the wrong reasons (like enemies that don't attack when they should) does.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

The problem with easy games is that they bore me to death. GSH is definitely easier than Contra. You can fuck around a lot in GSH and sometimes I didn't even care if I got hit. Hell, I even took bathroom breaks in the 3D levels :lol:.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

BrianC wrote:
Necronom wrote: Btw, a (spiritual) sequel to Alien Soldier would be awesome :D
We kind of got that already with Astro Boy, and it was indeed awesome.
Oh, god, NO. Astro Boy's populatiry still baffles me.