Whats it like where you live

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Davey

Post by Davey »

A photographic adventure through Toledo, courtesy of Bully Magazine:
America The Not-So-Beautiful: Toledo

And I know I've linked to this before, but the entries about Toledo and Cleveland are ridiculously true, so I'll post it again:
Bully's "Ten Worst American Cities To Live In" List
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

My Country used to be a bit of a warzone :twisted: , Its small but theres always something going on, fortunatly the peace process has kicked things in gear and people are more at peace but Northern Ireland is one hell of a place to live even though are population is aproximately 1.2 million, we are experiencing widespread imigration from Russians, portugeese, brazillians and czechzlovakians(However its spelt :) )

Scenery wise very similar to edinburgh like Ords only less hilly we have serious problem with boy racers though stealin our 6th year school girls argh! Must be about 40,000 students in the capital though so the night life and clubs rock.

Politicians in my country are a joke, just criminals who obstruct peace and encourage cross community violence. Helping to steal £26 million its ridiculous. And we are ruled by the British which is actually a dam good thing keeping us in check, even though were a financial drain on the empire.
Vidi Vici Veni
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

i live in Iowa now. i want you to imagine what a cornfield looks like.

there. that's iowa.

although the girls in cedar rapids/iowa city sure aren't the farmer chicks i was expecting.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Diabollokus wrote:My Country used to be a bit of a warzone :twisted: , Its small but theres always something going on, fortunatly the peace process has kicked things in gear and people are more at peace but Northern Ireland is one hell of a place to live even though are population is aproximately 1.2 million, we are experiencing widespread imigration from Russians, portugeese, brazillians and czechzlovakians(However its spelt :) )

Scenery wise very similar to edinburgh like Ords only less hilly we have serious problem with boy racers though stealin our 6th year school girls argh! Must be about 40,000 students in the capital though so the night life and clubs rock.

Politicians in my country are a joke, just criminals who obstruct peace and encourage cross community violence. Helping to steal £26 million its ridiculous. And we are ruled by the British which is actually a dam good thing keeping us in check, even though were a financial drain on the empire.
I actually lived in Belfast with my wife a couple of years ago. We lived off the Ormeau road and Lisburn road (I think). There was a rough pub called Hunters across the street from our house and there was always a fight usually started by the security! I worked at a young peoples centre for teenagers with mental health issues at Stanmillis road, about 5 minutes walk from the Botanical gardens. My wife worked at the Shankhill, which was frankly rough as fuck and a wee bit scary.
Nice city Belfast, but I always felt a bit apprehensive about living there. Maybe it was all the murals or it was like i had to pick a "side". I had to be either a catholic or protestant. I had to support Rangers or Celtic, that sort of thing. Towards the end we were having a shit time there so we left before the marching season started.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

WoW!

I like walk through all those places you mentioned on a regular basis.

Its hard to believe a country like mine exists in the developed part of the world sometimes, you did the right thing by leaving b4 marching season, in some respects the whole side thing has just got rediculous but its dying down every year.

I honestly choose to have no side and ignore the whole thing I don't consider it important The reason for it all is N. Ireland has no cultural identity so its people cling to false ideals.

Your're right about the security and bouncers is these parts though, complete asholes just 2 weeks ago a m8 of big bro's woke up in hospital due to bouncer brutality. Think he said'' Come on hard man, this is your big shot, your power trip, let it all out, standing in a door way is the best you'll ever do!'' Think he was just asking for it lol.

Teenagers with mental health issues eh? Must have had your work cut out LOL think 1 in 6 people in n.ireland has a mental problem of some sort.
Vidi Vici Veni
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

no offense to any of you northern irish people, but the accent can sound pretty insane too :) a couple NI friends of mine when they get drunk and arguementative(and from my experience its always the NI who are the most up for an arugement at any time!) their accent goes absolutly mental. The northern irish accent in general sounds mental lol
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I live in Rio de Janeiro, that is like that Sim City guy used to say "Crime-infested". While the area where I live isn't half bad at this, it isn't very good either. It's usual to hear gunshots from time to time (A few years ago it was common to hear EVERY night... nowadays things seems to be more calm... dunno why). Me myself have been in the middle of 3 different gunfights (Though one of them wasn't here in my area).

So I should keep shmupping, as this makes my bullet dodging skills a lot better :D

I live in North area, which is where most of "middle class" people live. Living in North Area is great, and I just love my neighborhood, though lately the comerce is growing too big, and some areas are full of people and cars in "comerce time". Still the residential areas are very nice in general. Usually, in North Area you won't get stealed, as the drug dealers give us protection here. Living in South Area is a lot more dangerous because of that. Of course, you can still get shot if you are unlucky to be caught between a gunfire, but at least you know that if you can stay alive, you will rarely be robbed :D

And of course, There are 2 "favelas" surrounding us, and another 3 very nearby. Much like any place in Rio de Janeiro :D
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

The accent in belfast is unique I can;t work it out half the time myself :D

It varies across the region from perfect english to ''Please talk slower!!!!!)
Vidi Vici Veni
it290

Post by it290 »

I live in downtown Denver, Colorado. Pretty decent, although I've lived here so long that I would really like to go somewhere else.

Here's a google maps satellite photo of the area around my house:

http://www.dimensional.com/~it290/googlemap.jpg
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Right now its snowing so heavily and blowing in so many directions at once it actually looks like a movieset with fake snow and wind machines and all...
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

it290 wrote:I live in downtown Denver, Colorado. Pretty decent, although I've lived here so long that I would really like to go somewhere else.

Here's a google maps satellite photo of the area around my house:

http://www.dimensional.com/~it290/googlemap.jpg
I cant get my head around just how damn big america is.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Bully Magazine wrote:PHOENIX:

Only an idiot would want to spend most of the year trapped in air conditioning. Such an idiot usually moves to Phoenix. Then this dope will say, "Yeah but it's a dry heat." To make matters worse there is absolutely nothing to do in Phoenix besides run from your car's air conditioning to your house's air conditioning. Or you can play golf. Otherwise, they should tear the whole metropolis down and let it just rot back into the desert. .
F***tard. This year has been so nice for Phoenix. It has been raining almost one day of each week since November, and that's a huge blessing here. I have been in the valley for around 8 years, and it's grown so much. I can get my shmups, groceries, music, high-speed internet, banking, mail, and other stuff taken care of even by walking a few blocks in any direction. Who cares about freaking bars or Nightclubs? (We do have them, in case you want to know) just riding around the city with your friends in a convertible, enjoying the cool air of the autumn evenings is enough to soothe even the most tormented of spirits. And don't get me started about being able to see falling stars in downtown Phoenix even with artificial light and all.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Nebraska is flat. Hardly any trees, very few hills except in spots, and LOTS of corn & bean fields. Pretty boring, landscape-wise, until you get out to the western edge of the state where there are interesting rock formations (Chimney Rock is a landmark in the state) and some of the red dirt/rock you see in Wyoming. Otherwise we have lots of cows, pigs, and horses. Not a lot to see out here...
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

FRO wrote:Nebraska is flat. Hardly any trees, very few hills except in spots, and LOTS of corn & bean fields. Pretty boring, landscape-wise, until you get out to the western edge of the state where there are interesting rock formations (Chimney Rock is a landmark in the state) and some of the red dirt/rock you see in Wyoming. Otherwise we have lots of cows, pigs, and horses. Not a lot to see out here...
Thinks of Bright Eyes and Cursive :wink: