STGT 2k7- Week #1 Twin Bee Yahhoo!

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

sikraiken wrote:Plus, I hate having to quit out and start up again when I mess up. I'm using a capture card and it's always on, so when I get a good run I don't have to worry about "oh, hey, did I decide to quit out of the game and record an INP or was I too lazy to do that this time". It's nice to just hit F3 to restart.
That's what I do. Got sick of having to quit out every time I want to restart a run since Blazing Star week last year (and I still endured the game enough to record an input for that week), so it's been direct-feed recording all the way.

Just release the run whenever it suits you, SiK. Or send it via PM to people who are interested (like me). The people complaining don't realise just how annoying recording an input in MAME really is until they are forced to do it for every run. And I would have liked to have seen them do that for VP1.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I record inps on all of my runs cuz I liek 2 make savestates off those inps lol
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

sikraiken wrote:
gavin19 wrote:It's not rocket science.
That wasn't a criticism of you btw. I meant that if someone had an inp to post then adding a link to the proper mame version would make it easy for other people to watch it hassle free. Not to mention saving a lot of bandwith compared to an avi encode.
Feel free to make a run yourself.
Lol. I did but after restarting 20 times I gave up out of frustration. Making inps is pretty low on fun.
I don't have an INP.
No worries, I didnt realise you were using a capture card.
a.k.a - G19
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

gavin19 wrote: No worries, I didnt realise you were using a capture card.
Trust me, you wouldn't want to see an INP where the first half an hour is spamming the F3 key all the time.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

lol f3 makes inps error
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

shoe-sama wrote:lol f3 makes inps error
Oh really. I stand corrected.
Keade

Post by Keade »

:?:
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Keade wrote::?:
I'll have everything available (videos + write ups for all five weeks) at midnight (eastern standard time) on October 22nd. No delays etc this time since everything except week five will be uploaded well before then, it just won't be accessible to anyone. That's how I decided to do it.

I'll even have an INP for Darius Gaiden available.

Also, I will be responding to everything some of you guys said over on your forum. That's always fun.

Gavin19: Sorry for the misunderstanding.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

sikraiken wrote:Also, I will be responding to everything some of you guys said over on your forum. That's always fun.
That should be fun indeed ^^;
Keade

Post by Keade »

Prometheus started it all :lol: (joking)

Anyway, have fun with Babelfish.
If you want to read it all that bad btw, I can give you translation of my own posts, even tough I see it a waste of time - videos would be the simplest of the answers to them, and I would make apologies when I see them.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

You sure are good at getting attention sik, no need to prove that anymore :lol:
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

falsificare
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Zomg the defenders of the faith are here, escape as soon as you can!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I like taking video games seriously enough to make them an audit, too.

White guys who beat me = cheaters, even with proof
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Keade

Post by Keade »

Looking at their complaints over games, some people do seem to take the tourney seriously, unfortunately.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I'm afraid having people not play shitty games is not in the same ballpark as acting like computer games are spectator sports. Sorry if they appeared similar, I apologize for overestimating the amount of brain matter you use.

Personally, I'm not going to accept a score unless the submitter sings "Pee on Me" on the audio track of the AVI accompanied with WolfMAME inp, two forms of government identification, a police officer present to verify, four or five of my IRC buddies with Rob taking notes, and the submitter's grandmother to confirm that it is indeed him or her playing. Clearly you types are not as hardcore as me. Image
unban shw
Keade

Post by Keade »

My point with the "complaints" was some people seemed not to have fun while playing.
Which seemed to be your point : by making an audit, we were forgetting that this is for fun. See ?

Don't expect me to post or lurk here again before october (or whenever Sik' posts news), the discussion is becoming uninteresting, but you probably noticed that :roll:
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Twiddle wrote:Personally, I'm not going to accept a score unless the submitter sings "Pee on Me" on the audio track of the AVI accompanied with WolfMAME inp, two forms of government identification, a police officer present to verify, four or five of my IRC buddies with Rob taking notes, and the submitter's grandmother to confirm that it is indeed him or her playing. Clearly you types are not as hardcore as me. Image
Ah, Kaede clearly overestimated the amount of brain matter you use. This thing is not about PR00FS (you'd like it again, it's pretty clear), it's about the behaviour of sik. No one asked him to prove something, so what's the point of a show like that? Lol, to have someone talking about that and then jump at the unfaithful with the help of TWIDDLE? To look like a busy superstar?

Seriously ridiculous. And yes, I allow you to use the epic "lol he's taking gamez seriously" line again, otherwise you'd be out of the debate pretty quickly.

Also, I don't see why Kaede should stop posting now. You did nothing wrong, don't get trapped in a corner by NOTHING.
Last edited by LUNardei on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Twiddle wrote:I'm afraid having people not play shitty games is not in the same ballpark as acting like computer games are spectator sports. Sorry if they appeared similar, I apologize for overestimating the amount of brain matter you use.
You are not making any point at all =( !
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Keade wrote:My point with the "complaints" was some people seemed not to have fun while playing.
Which seemed to be your point : by making an audit, we were forgetting that this is for fun. See ?

Don't expect me to post or lurk here again before october (or whenever Sik' posts news), the discussion is becoming uninteresting, but you probably noticed that :roll:
To be honest I've gotten used to bitching about the game selection ever since the very first STGT game (exploited and manipulated by people like you*, no doubt) which opened participants up to using awful, awful voting strategies intended to grief opponents when the perpetrators have long stopped playing.
LUNardei wrote:Ah, Kaede clearly overestimated the amount of brain matter you use. This thing is not about PR00FS (you'd like it again, it's pretty clear), it's about the behaviour of sik. No one asked him to prove something, so what's the point of a show like that? Lol, to have someone talking about that and then jump at the unfaithful with the help of TWIDDLE? To look like a busy superstar?
The first mistake you're making is that you think he told me to "quash the unbelievers" when in reality I could care less about "true scores" and am personally more concerned about how much certain people act completely batshit when it comes to scores in computer games, particularly when they get beaten by mere amounts in the hundreds of thousands. You can bitch about ridiculous score claims all you want, but when I see reports of bitching about miniscule score differences something tells me there is an entirely different problem on hand, one that's magnitudes more petty.
Seriously ridiculous. And yes, I allow you to use the epic "lol he's taking gamez seriously" line again, otherwise you'd be out of the debate pretty quickly.

Also, I don't see why Kaede should stop posting now. You did nothing wrong, don't get trapped in a corner by NOTHING.

* - does not mean nationality, but mindset
unban shw
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

LUN wrote:I allow you to use the epic "lol he's taking gamez seriously" line again, otherwise you'd be out of the debate pretty quickly
Twiddle wrote: I am personally more concerned about how much certain people act completely batshit when it comes to scores in computer games
Well done.
Ah, me too, as you can see.
* - does not mean nationality, but mindset
One step at a time. I guess we can't pretend more from you.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

To be honest I've gotten used to bitching about the game selection ever since the very first STGT game (exploited and manipulated by people like you*, no doubt) which opened participants up to using awful, awful voting strategies intended to grief opponents when the perpetrators have long stopped playing.
Just to clear things up... yesteryear I only voted for the game I found to be the most fun one to play. There wasn't even team talking about it.

This year I am deciding within the team, and the only thing that matters is what game we have the most chances with it. It obviously backfired with Viper Phase 1, but we did better on Darius Gaiden than we firstly expected it :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Shatterhand wrote:Just to clear things up... yesteryear I only voted for the game I found to be the most fun one to play. There wasn't even team talking about it.

This year I am deciding within the team, and the only thing that matters is what game we have the most chances with it. It obviously backfired with Viper Phase 1, but we did better on Darius Gaiden than we firstly expected it :)
I wasn't really talking about people who voted on what they found fun given 30 minutes of playtime (I'm sure maybe 5-6 people (conservative estimate) can find Air Buster fun but when 20-30 vote for it it's another matter). I'm talking about awesome voting strategies such as voting for awful games just because one, maybe two teams are good at popular game, or stuffing the ballot with non-players because their team can milk the game for forever, or the especially hilarious "increase the 1 vote advantage to 6 by withdrawing votes" (sorry, Rob). I'm sure you don't do this sort of thing. You're not that bad of a sport.

(all of the choices (except the unpopular Bakraid, though milk Axebeak trick is probably going to produce results similar to Darius Gaiden's) were awful in some way this week, btw, so I'm not counting it.)
unban shw
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

My voting didn't make any difference last year, if I remember correctly not ONE game I voted actually won.

I guess I was voting correctly last year then :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Twiddle wrote:particularly when they get beaten by mere amounts in the hundreds of thousands. You can bitch about ridiculous score claims all you want, but when I see reports of bitching about miniscule score differences something tells me there is an entirely different problem on hand, one that's magnitudes more petty.
You don't seem to understand that people who take this kind of aggressive stance against cheaters aren't as much bothered by the fact that they were personally beaten by that cheater than they are bothered by the fact that that cheater is helping disrupt and ruin the competition overall.

For example, I'm not taking part in STGT and I don't really give a crap who's going to win but if there are any cheaters pathetically lurking inside the crowd they should be pointed at and kicked out, for the sake of the others.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

PROMETHEUS wrote:You don't seem to understand that people who take this kind of aggressive stance against cheaters aren't as much bothered by the fact that they were personally beaten by that cheater than they are bothered by the fact that that cheater is helping disrupt and ruin the competition overall.
I do understand if someone claims 1.8+ billion and the best known player among the circle is 400-500 mil, because that sort of thing raises eyebrows. This isn't the sort of thing that should discourage competition, though. Even if is a fake score it shouldn't be the sort of thing that discourages people from playing unless they have a very special attachment to their score (which can always be improved on), in which case some pride-swallowing or skepticism is advised. If the board holder doesn't think it's real, he can feel free to not have it in. A fake poster is only cheating themselves out of actually enjoying the game whether it gets accepted or not.

What I don't understand is the rage over a "cheater" scoring something as little as 100k more than a several million score. What if you really aren't hitting the "maximum theoretical limit"? If your score isn't near it or near the record then it's even less excusable.
unban shw
zakk

Post by zakk »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
Twiddle wrote:particularly when they get beaten by mere amounts in the hundreds of thousands. You can bitch about ridiculous score claims all you want, but when I see reports of bitching about miniscule score differences something tells me there is an entirely different problem on hand, one that's magnitudes more petty.
You don't seem to understand that people who take this kind of aggressive stance against cheaters aren't as much bothered by the fact that they were personally beaten by that cheater than they are bothered by the fact that that cheater is helping disrupt and ruin the competition overall.

For example, I'm not taking part in STGT and I don't really give a crap who's going to win but if there are any cheaters pathetically lurking inside the crowd they should be pointed at and kicked out, for the sake of the others.
Except it never turns out this way. It turns into a 'this person did really well and I never heard of them playing this game before so therefore they are suspect/possibly cheating' or 'I spent alot of time on this game and they beat me by X points after playing way less than I did so there must be something going on'.

In the majority of cases you're suspicious of the wrong people anyways, and all it does is insult the people who do get accused. I'd rather have a competition with 2 or 3 guys who are faking scores than one with small groups of people who are constantly suspicious of good scores from certain people. The cheaters only cheapen it for themselves, the accusers cheapen it for innocent bystanders.

If you're going to accuse people of cheating in a public forum (even one you consider "private") you should probably pair that accusation with proof. Otherwise it just looks like someone can't deal with the fact that other people are better than they are.

Personally I wouldn't respond to such accusations, because I don't really give a crap what other people think. I can see why Sik would want to respond though; he's bringing nearly and entire lifetime (for him, at least) of gaming experience to these games and doing well at them, only to see people claim he must be faking it somehow. I can see how that might be a tad bit insulting.

Also completely randomly off-topic: PROMETHEUS: you should probably re-upload that Guwange video to super-play. The one you put up there has
312MB of audio (PCM uncompressed, you really want to use mp3) AND the audio just contains silence for the whole video. At the very least strip the PCM audio out, it reduces the file size by half.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Twiddle : Regardless whether you think or not that this type of people can harm competitions, it is still natural to act against people who try to take advantage of events to gain attention and praise or whatever it is they want to get by cheating. It is highly unfair to all the others because they are the ones who truly deserve that attention.

Are you saying we should just let them be ?
zakk wrote:"Otherwise it just looks like someone can't deal with the fact someone is better than they are. "
I agree some people may become suspicious for this reason and it is indeed stupid and harmful, but it is not what this is about here. For example, I consider MrMonkeyMan to be better than me and respect him for that. Also, bear in mind that we haven't been saying anything over here ourselves, Sikraiken is the one who seems to want to talk about it. We didn't directly insult anyone.

About the Guwange video : I have no idea who uploaded this :/ The true last JCK is currently working on making a video of it to upload it to superplay later and it should be much smaller and with sound. Mystery!

Edits: arg Icarus leave me a few seconds to correct typo >.<!! ^^
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

And that's a very different kind of accusation. I would not be suspicious of you because you just don't behave suspicious and have shown and proven many times that you can really do the scores you post.

For sik it's another story.