Best SHMUP OSTs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dusk Stalker

Post by Dusk Stalker »

Rob wrote:Since Giga Wing was mentioned I just have to say I never really like Takumi soundtracks but they always seem to get a great title screen theme.

Zuntata are the best, no doubt. Too bad Takumi didn't borrow some of their talent for their last two games.
Giga Wing 1 or Giga Wing 2, too?

'Cause, the soundtrack of GW2 is pretty original for a Shmup, and the "classic" themes give a unique style to GW2, I think.

Radiant Silvergun... Hitoshi Sakimoto powered. 8)
Maybe, for me, one of the best.ost.ever. A powerful, and epic music fort a great game.

The Cave's OST is very good too. Ibara, Mushi/Futari, Guwange, ESP Rade...
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

klausien

Post by klausien »

In no particular order:

Lords of Thunder - The most metal of all video games, even moreso than Guilty Gear.

ThunderForce V - Like an arranged version of TecnoSoft's 16-bit OSTs.

Mushihimesama - It's just perfect for the feel of the game. Agreed on the progressiveness of the individual songs.

Dimahoo is a great one that is usually forgotten. All of the Raizing shmups have excellent music.

Radiant Silvergun & Soukyugurentai for their Sakimoto epicness.

GigaWing 2 has a pretty epic soundtrack too.

Gradius - The whole series has incredibly classic music. I especially love the little pre-stage space scene tunes from 3 and the original.
Last edited by klausien on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

klausien wrote:In no particular order:

Lords of Thunder - The most metal of all video games, even Guilty Gear.
Thanks for the recommendation, I love this one!
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
Shatterhand

Re: Best SHMUP OSTs

Post by Shatterhand »

Bill wrote:
It's good music, but at the same time, I don't see what it has to do with Gradius Gaiden or DoDonPachi, stylistically, or why it'd cancel them out. Particularly if that distinct European sound doesn't click with someone the way Konami Kukeiha Club's might.
I just picked two games mentioned at random that has music I don't overly apreciate :)
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

klausien wrote: Gradius - The whole series has incredibly classic music. I especially love the little pre-stage space scene tunes from 3 and the original.
If I were to recommend only 1 Soundtrack CD for shmups, it would without a doubt be the Gradius Arcade Soundtrack.

Still available at Play-Asia and a must buy imho. (and no, there´s no affiliation link in that one...so no conflict of interest ... just pure awesomeness). BTW, anyone know where to get Gradius in Classic new???
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

captain ahar wrote:
mastercello wrote:Here you can find a lot of shmup ost:

*link*
big no no dude, if i were a mod...
If I were a mod, I'd change the rules. Game music = fair game. :roll:
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Zanac Neo

Not an official OST, but damn good anyway.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Shatterhand wrote:
Bill wrote:
It's good music, but at the same time, I don't see what it has to do with Gradius Gaiden or DoDonPachi, stylistically, or why it'd cancel them out. Particularly if that distinct European sound doesn't click with someone the way Konami Kukeiha Club's might.
I just picked two games mentioned at random that has music I don't overly apreciate :)
Oh, sorry man. Yeah, I thought those two soundtracks plus Apidya's made an odd selection of music! ^^

I love how diverse shooting's best music tends to be. Gradius Gaiden, Thunder Force V, G-Darius and R-Type Delta are as distinct a set of game soundtracks as anyone will find in the same genre, despite being contemporary works. I find I never get bored with this stuff, as a fan of game music in general.

Although it's technically not an OST, another good shooter album is Konami's Perfect Selection Shooting Battle, Volume 1. Like the Dracula (Castlevania) Battle PS albums, it's Konami shooter music given the 80s metal treatment with excellent musicianship and production throughout. There's a Volume 2 as well, but I always thought Vol. 1 pwned it. Definitely worth hearing for any metal-inclined fans of late-80s / early 90s Konami shooter music.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

amorph wrote:You see how I registered to say this?

Dangun Feveron.

Followed by Ibara.
Bravo, amorph!

Only one nod to Dangun??? One nod???

Listen to that music as you play! This OST is more disco than disco ever was!

I second the Dangun Feveron OST!
louisg

Post by louisg »

gunbird18 wrote:
Listen to that music as you play! This OST is more disco than disco ever was!

I second the Dangun Feveron OST!
Yeah, that stuff is cool. It's too bad that those late 90s Cave games with the compressed audio streams only had ~1 minute songs. Do sound track albums exist with longer cuts?
Humans, think about what you have done
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dusk Stalker wrote:
Rob wrote:Since Giga Wing was mentioned I just have to say I never really like Takumi soundtracks but they always seem to get a great title screen theme.

Zuntata are the best, no doubt. Too bad Takumi didn't borrow some of their talent for their last two games.
Giga Wing 1 or Giga Wing 2, too?

'Cause, the soundtrack of GW2 is pretty original for a Shmup, and the "classic" themes give a unique style to GW2, I think.
It gives it a nice feel, yeah, but it would be nice if it was a little more memorable. My favorite is the title screen theme, again.
ghibli99

Post by ghibli99 »

Right off the top of my head and without looking at other folks' choices, Guwange, Dangun Feveron, Pop'n Twinbee, Air Buster, Gradius Gaiden, and Ordyne all come to mind. I'm sure I'm missing another good 50 from this list, though.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

ghibli99 wrote:Right off the top of my head and without looking at other folks' choices, Guwange, Dangun Feveron, Pop'n Twinbee, Air Buster, Gradius Gaiden, and Ordyne all come to mind. I'm sure I'm missing another good 50 from this list, though.
Haven't heard anything from Ordyne...I'll have to check it out. Also, nice! Another member from Phoenix, AZ :D
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Anyone else notice that the music in Arranged mode in Ibara sounds a helluva lot like music from Under Defeat?
louisg

Post by louisg »

Damocles wrote:Anyone else notice that the music in Arranged mode in Ibara sounds a helluva lot like music from Under Defeat?
Ok.. now I REALLY need Ibara =)

Is it by the same guy? I really dug his track Liquid Soup on FM Sound Module Maniax too.
zinger

Post by zinger »

louisg wrote:
Damocles wrote:Anyone else notice that the music in Arranged mode in Ibara sounds a helluva lot like music from Under Defeat?
Ok.. now I REALLY need Ibara =)

Is it by the same guy? I really dug his track Liquid Soup on FM Sound Module Maniax too.
Yep, both by Shinji Hisoe - who's really finished in the VGM business if you ask me (sadly lost it after his Namco days). The Ibara soundtrack was also tons worse than Under Defeat. I agree about Liquid Soup though, amazing work! :)
SOUNDSHOCK
louisg

Post by louisg »

zinger wrote: Yep, both by Shinji Hisoe - who's really finished in the VGM business if you ask me (sadly lost it after his Namco days). The Ibara soundtrack was also tons worse than Under Defeat. I agree about Liquid Soup though, amazing work! :)
Oh that's too bad. I really enjoyed the UD music. I'll have to go look up his earlier work.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Oddly enough, for the most part, I prefer the Ibara soundtrack to the Under Defeat OST. ...then again, I never was a big fan of the tracks on UD...
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

Soldier Blade.

Donpachi a close second.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

I do not know if there is a newer topic, sry.

Cave games have great music. DDP, whole series.
Currently listening music from DFK. Good.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Re:

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

worstplayer wrote: Bakraid (better music than Garegga IMO)
Anything is way better than Garegga, it's so overrated.

As for the best, nothing else comes close to Raiden DX, Ashura Blaster, Gun Frontier, Alltynex Second, Lightning Fighter (iOS game), Raiden IV, Alltynex, and Ketsui
abcabcabc339

Post by abcabcabc339 »

Hydorah, anything else is wrong. It's not the cheap looping shit you hear in jap/american games. It's beautifully composed to fit every scrolling segment of the game like a glove. Meropticon, a level in the second half of the game, features the pyramid-shaped artificial planet Meropticon. It features a LIVE RECORDING of a lightning fast waltz played on the harpsichord by Gryzor87.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Truxton, truxton and truxton. Or Tatsujin, if you prefer.
Best. Shmup music. Ever.
dunpeal2064

Re: Re:

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote: Anything is way better than Garegga, it's so overrated.
It being overrated doesn't instantly make it the worst shmup OST in the world. Play some NES 1942 or something.
alpachinko

Post by alpachinko »

Bokan to Ippatsu for its corny tunes. Stuck in my head to this very day. I really like the Guwange and Soukgouryentai soundtracks too.
R-Gray 1

Post by R-Gray 1 »

Axelay
R-Type Delta
Raystorm
Gradius V
Ikaruga
Einhänder
Gradius Gaiden
Under defeat arranged
Border down
UN squadron
Gradius III
Mushihimesama
Psyvariar 2 ( I forgot this game for top 25 shmup ost )
Darius Gaiden
Radiant silvergun
Rayforce
Image fight
Super Nova(darius force)
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Today I discovered the Dangun Feveron OST and feel bad I didn't vote for it in the OST voting thread. :(
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
KAI

Post by KAI »

Where's the K.H.D.N. love?
zinger wrote:Shinji Hosoe - who's really finished in the VGM business if you ask me (sadly lost it after his Namco days).
:( He's still awesome.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I'm really regretting not voting for Image Fight/X-Multiply in the recent top 25 OST skirmish! I love the melancholy edge to some of those tracks.