8th Bay Area shmupmeet (is over)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Dave_K.

8th Bay Area shmupmeet (is over)

Post by Dave_K. »

Date/Time:
-------------
Sunday August 26th, starting 10am ending 5pm.

House Rules:
---------------
Same deal as before, everyone pays $5 at the door for food/drink which I will supply. Pizza run around Noon. Please feel free to bring more food, as the money would barely cover my electric bill as it is.

Machines are purposly NOT setup for freeplay. So respect the credit (limit your continues), and don't take home my quarters.

Please do not open machines, or my PCBs. If you brought you're own PCBs, let me know and I will install them myself. I'll make one general swap out of games after lunch to accommodate the groups taste.

Confirm w/me if you are bringing any guests. This is not an open invitation for your friends to play arcade machines for free. This is primarily for shmups.com members. Thanks!

About 14 people so far (not counting me):
---------------------------
Sven666 + 1?
IlMrm + 1
Pixelcorps
shariar07 +1
DirtyMonk
Piratero
Kiselgof
louisg
BER
Segasonicfan
Ironish
Last edited by Dave_K. on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:37 am, edited 19 times in total.
bay

Post by bay »

i thought sven had to cancel his trip?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

In Sven's USA trip thread he last wrote this:
sven666 wrote: aaaaand some more news is i WILL be going to USA after all, altho the trip has been cut short and changed location a little, i will be in LA from aug 19th to aug 31st.

so let the tips rain!

itd still be great to meet up with some of you guys if anyone has the time and is in the area! :)

dave_k are you still hosting a shmeet?
sven666

Post by sven666 »

bay wrote:i thought sven had to cancel his trip?
i did.. and then i managed to uncancel it :D
if you make it to the westcoast it would be very cool to meet up bay!

im in california from aug 19th till 31st.

im travelling with a friend whos not into videogames that much but ill give him money for the movies or something during the meet.

umm ive never been to the states so i have no idea about where you live dave and what distance it is away from things?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

sven666 wrote: umm ive never been to the states so i have no idea about where you live dave and what distance it is away from things?
I'm located in San Jose, California (near San Francisco). So thats about 350 miles North of LA (5-6 hours driving time one way). It would have been worth the trip here to also see the CA Extreme Show, but since that weekend is out of the question now, its up to you if you still want to drive up for a Bay Area shmupmeet. I know there is a large contingent of NeoGeo guys in LA (including Matsu) that could possibly also host a meet down there (Droid's house?).
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

sorry to hijack your thread, but I was wondering what what school your girlfriend is going to in Tacoma.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

She is studying Optometry at Berkeley, and has a 4 month residency at some hospital in Tacoma (I forget which one) as part of her last year of rotation work.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

cool, I was just wondering because I'm currently going to school in Tacoma. Make sure she doesn't stay in Parkland, an area south of Tacoma, that place is a shithole.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Hard to believe it's the 8th meet already. :)
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

My vacation starts on Aug 20 to Sept 3 and i would be in San Jose, CA to visit my pops. Could we have a shmupmeet during that time. Its been a while since we had one. I have not seen Dave for a while and his mastery of the shmup world, hehehe :lol:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Shawn, that would be awesome if you could join us! Looks like your dates overlap with Sven's, so I'm hoping the weekend of the 25th/26th will work out for you both. Stay tuned for the final date/time.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Dave_K. wrote:Shawn, that would be awesome if you could join us! Looks like your dates overlap with Sven's, so I'm hoping the weekend of the 28th/29th will work out for you both. Stay tuned for the final date/time.
that sounds great actually, then we could go up to SJ for that weekend and head back for our flight home on the 31st afterwards :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
mrkotfw

Post by mrkotfw »

I've been waiting for the next meet! Maybe I can finally see Ketsui in action? :shock:
Yaul: An awesome open source SEGA Saturn software development kit
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Piratero wrote:I've been waiting for the next meet! Maybe I can finally see Ketsui in action? :shock:
i certainly hope for a showdown seeing as me and dave have nearly the same HS :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

sven666 wrote: i certainly hope for a showdown seeing as me and dave have nearly the same HS :)
Game on! :D
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Looking forward to the dual. :)

Where's Bernard? It'd be great if he can attend this meet. Usually he's the one who makes the inform post on the thread.

I can't begin to imagine how many games you now have Dave. :D
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Bernard is aware, but he's still working weekends, so not sure if he can make it. I tried to give him as much lead time as possible for this one.

The only notable games I've gotten since the last meet are: Espgaluda II, Pink Sweets, DonPachi, Batsugun, RSG, and Sonic Wings Limited/Special. I haven't even played Espgaluda II yet! Oh yeah, there is this other big cab I got in the back, but it still needs some work. :wink:

I think my garage arcade is now officially full/complete, so I'll need to come up with a better name than Dave's Arcade.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I'm down.

How's Spy Hunter doing?
Humans, think about what you have done
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

louisg wrote:How's Spy Hunter doing?
Oh thats right, you were not at the last shmeet. Its working, but has a humm to the sound. Its also incredibly difficult.
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

Sweet, looking forward to this one!

Sincerely,

Mikhail
louisg

Post by louisg »

Dave_K. wrote: Its also incredibly difficult.
Sweet! Yeah, Spy Hunter is a rough game. Someone on the shmups IRC channel said the stick shift should be labeled Lo and Die :D

Anything I can bring to contribute? I think I brought Saturn Souky last time. Since then I acquired the Salamander best-of disc with 2 on it. I also have the C64 DTV stick with Uridium. I have Karous, too, but you probably have that.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

louisg wrote: Anything I can bring to contribute? I think I brought Saturn Souky last time. Since then I acquired the Salamander best-of disc with 2 on it. I also have the C64 DTV stick with Uridium. I have Karous, too, but you probably have that.
I have Karous and Souky (ST-V). Not sure I have room to hookup another console like last time. I don't think it got a lot of playtime anyway, so you don't have to burden yourself unless you really want to.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Dave_K. wrote:I have Karous and Souky (ST-V). Not sure I have room to hookup another console like last time. I don't think it got a lot of playtime anyway, so you don't have to burden yourself unless you really want to.
Oh very cool, when did you get the ST-V? And what do you think of Souky?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Haven't played Souky much since the cab I was running it on had sound problems (lost all sound). It has since been fixed.

I got the ST-V mobo after the last meet...sorry wasn't on my noteable upate list. I feel people are only interested in playing cave games. I've got Soukyugurentai, Raident Silvergun, Shienryu, and Cotton 2. Also not mentioned were a few gnet shooters (Psyvariar Revision, Shikigaminoshiro, and Night Raid). Since a few of these are horizontal, I may load them up on the one cab.
PC Engine Fan X!

? about the Superplays stored on your Success Psy-R G-Card

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Dave K.,

Question about your copy of Taito G-Card Psyvariar Revision:

Have you checked out the Superplays stored on your Psy-R card?

And are they as good as ISO's Taito Psy-R G-Card Superplay?

I have one but the Japanese player isn't as good as the master Psy-R player by the name of 'ISO' whose handiwork is featured in the Psvyariar Appreciate Vol. 1 DVD from Reverse Babel Label... ^_~

It's interesting to note that such Psy-R Superplays are saved individually directly to the Taito G-Card itself for posterity and can't be viewed on such another Psy-R Card anyways (but just on the G-Card currently being played)...

Only that Takumi produced arcade shmup title of Night Raid is a horizontal displayed game (like that of Gigawing 1 & 2 or Mars Matrix) whereas both Psyvariar Revision and Shirogami No Shiro are vertical oriented arcade shump titles, of course..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dave_K.

Re: ? about the Superplays stored on your Success Psy-R G-Ca

Post by Dave_K. »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Have you checked out the Superplays stored on your Psy-R card? And are they as good as ISO's Taito Psy-R G-Card Superplay?
Yes there are a bunch of ALL replays saved, but I have no idea how good they compare to ISO's superplay, as I've never seen it (nor know what score obtains).

PCEFX, will you be joining us for this meet?
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

gah!! i MIGHT just be back from vacation the night before!!

i'm definitely down, but need to ask the GF what day i get back, then i can show off my sunburn hehe..
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

I know I've been lurking for way too long, but I wanted to chime in and say that I'm up for it as well.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

ok, so i'm back the night before, so if I can get out of bed the next day, i'm there!!

anyone travelling from SF???
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

pixelcorps wrote:ok, so i'm back the night before, so if I can get out of bed the next day, i'm there!!

anyone travelling from SF???
Right here. :) I gotta warn you though, we take off early in the morning, as I always get to Dave's place promptly at 10. :)