HRAP autofire and Mushihime-sama

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Damocles

HRAP autofire and Mushihime-sama

Post by Damocles »

I've heard of the Japanese arcade cabs that have up to six or seven buttons each devoted to a different autofire frequency. Does anyone have an idea if something similar can be obtained on a HRAP? I own neither, so it's out of pure curiosity.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Certainly not by default. Where would you even put all the switches to adjust frequency? I imagine it'd be a lot of hassle to program the PCB in any case.
EOJ

Re: HRAP autofire and Mushihime-sama

Post by EOJ »

Damocles wrote:I've heard of the Japanese arcade cabs that have up to six or seven buttons each devoted to a different autofire frequency.
I think you mean "six or seven buttons total". 3 main "default" buttons (shot, bomb, autofire), plus 3-4 rapid fire buttons, up to 2 for A shot and 2 for C shot. I've never heard of a setup with more than that. Unfortunately, you cannot do a setup with more than 5 buttons (via the software settings) on a HRAP as the PS2 version doesn't let you map more than one rapid fire setting per shot type (A or C).

BTW the best Maniac and Ultra mode scores in Japan were done with the rapid fire buttons run through a laptop computer, with special software programming for optimal hit frequency. That's probably the most complicated shmup control setup ever.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

TWE wrote:
Damocles wrote:I've heard of the Japanese arcade cabs that have up to six or seven buttons each devoted to a different autofire frequency.
I think you mean "six or seven buttons total". 3 main "default" buttons (shot, bomb, autofire), plus 3-4 rapid fire buttons, up to 2 for A shot and 2 for C shot. I've never heard of a setup with more than that. Unfortunately, you cannot do a setup with more than 5 buttons (via the software settings) on a HRAP as the PS2 version doesn't let you map more than one rapid fire setting per shot type (A or C).
Well, that answers that...unless you hacked the RAP to split a single button to the rest. Dunno if that's possible with the internal circuitry, however. Then again, that amount of work for one game would be absolutely...well...something...

TWE wrote:BTW the best Maniac and Ultra mode scores in Japan were done with the rapid fire buttons run through a laptop computer, with special software programming for optimal hit frequency. That's probably the most complicated shmup control setup ever.
Wonder if that's Twin Galaxies legal...

Amazing what people will do to push score limits.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Damocles wrote:
TWE wrote:
Well, that answers that...unless you hacked the RAP to split a single button to the rest. Dunno if that's possible with the internal circuitry, however. Then again, that amount of work for one game would be absolutely...well...something...

TWE wrote:BTW the best Maniac and Ultra mode scores in Japan were done with the rapid fire buttons run through a laptop computer, with special software programming for optimal hit frequency. That's probably the most complicated shmup control setup ever.
Wonder if that's Twin Galaxies legal...

Amazing what people will do to push score limits.
Twin Galaxies would say that any method of using hacks to boost up such a high score (rather than by traditional arcade controls setup -- with standard PCB provisional auto-fire settings, if provided) would not be counted. If one wants to do such an official Twin Galaxies new World Record run on such arcade PCB, then play fair and on "default" arcade PCB settings with no external boosted auto-fire hacks whatsoever + an TG game referee would have to watch you doing such a WR run to authenticate it anyways...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Twin Galaxies would say that any method of using hacks to boost up such a high score (rather than by traditional arcade controls setup -- with standard PCB provisional auto-fire settings, if provided) would not be counted. If one wants to do such an official Twin Galaxies new World Record run on such arcade PCB, then play fair and on "default" arcade PCB settings with no external boosted auto-fire hacks whatsoever + an TG game referee would have to watch you doing such a WR run to authenticate it anyways...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The Mushi and Ultra mode records with rapid fire are noted as such. Arcadia also has the WR scores without rapid fire listed, of course.