Omega Five (XBLA)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

@ TodayIsForgotten

Is your gamertag Todaysforgotten on Live?
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

Yup. Couldnt fit the I.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

:!: Dude, you're a fuckin' legend, man. Very glad to see you here! :)

Every frikkin' game I download, hit the leaderboard, there you are. Among top 10 in the world.

I believe I've aimed for your score as a benchmark to shoot for more than once when I've replayed some games.

Big tip of the hat to your skills, sir. If you happen to record and release replays that the 360 doesn't already do for you, I wouldn't mind knowing about them. You could be like, the next Icarus.
TodayIsForgotten

haha, i appreciate your kind words. Thats cool that i could reach out and touch some players! :) hehe. Nah, thats cool though that you try to size me up to gauge/develop your scores. I wonder if others do that? In either case, thats pretty damn flattering.

I dont care about gamerscore, but i do like to get 200/200s in the arcade games i do buy. I'm all about trying for highscores. Some arent my best efforts but lately i havent really cared to improve my scores.

I do have a youtube page, but its mainly just tips and pointers in a few games ive done so far.
Square King

Post by Square King »

I was reading this thread last night and noticed that TodayIsForgotten is still #1. :D I also decided that I'd drunkenly treat myself to Omega Five. Loving it so far.
TodayIsForgotten

I find that amazing that i still have the number 1 score. Firstly, i ruined a 30x chain on the level 4 boss and secondly died halfway through level 5. I guess the game never really took off.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

maybe... but its a pretty decent game for the X360... 5 well spent bux.
neist

Post by neist »

Kaspal wrote:maybe... but its a pretty decent game for the X360... 5 well spent bux.
It's only 5 bucks now? Wow. I couldn't give it a better recommendation for 5 bucks.

It's probably one of my favorite XBLA games.
kong

Post by kong »

It's 800 points which is $10.
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

I never liked this one. Not surprised if it didn't do well among so many Xbox Live games that are available.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Kaspal wrote:maybe... but its a pretty decent game for the X360... 5 well spent bux.
Microsoft's odd pricing scheme strikes again.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I liked this game more when I first got it, and I still can't say it sucks or anything.

I mean, it has sucky character designs, but that's not the big problem.

The problem is the speed of the game. It's just slow. I dunno, it just kinda floats along.

It's alright. For 5 bucks, it's a good deal.

s/m
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I liked this game more when I first got it, and I still can't say it sucks or anything.

I mean, it has sucky character designs, but that's not the big problem.

The problem is the speed of the game. It's just slow. I dunno, it just kinda floats along.

It's alright. For 5 bucks, it's a good deal.

s/m
microsoft's odd pricing scheme strikes again!... hehe...

ps: i know i know... i fell into that too... i know its 10 bux actually, not 5.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

They're playing you all for a bunch of suckers. :)
fraggore

Post by fraggore »

i realy like the game. its was a nice change to the xbla line up would recomend it. its a realy nice looking shmup as well the characters are big but you get used to it.
hell hath no fury like a pregnant hamster
Ghegs

Re: Omega Five (XBLA)

Post by Ghegs »

Looks like the game's getting a 3DS port next year. That's a bit surprising. Famitsu link here.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TaygetaVendetta

Post by TaygetaVendetta »

Ghegs wrote:Looks like the game's getting a 3DS port next year. That's a bit surprising. Famitsu link here.
:( Was hoping to see this thread bumped for a XBLA sequel announcement.

Wonder what kind of extras will be added to the 3DS port (aside from the obvious 3D)? Extra characters, stages?

I always found the title of the game odd considering there were only four levels and four characters.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

A sequel would be pretty sweet, especially if it fixed the original's flaws. Sadly, no such luck yet.

The fifth in Omega Five is Sensei's dog, according to Hudson.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

OK, so far I've read some complaints about the character design, and slow pacing-aside from these things, what do you all like and dislike about it? I've never played a bad shmup with Hudson's name on it.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Lol- I completely forgot that I'd downloaded this a couple of years ago (and only played it about twice then)...until this morning when I remembered, redownloaded it and discovered that it rocks. I'm putting off playing my newly acquired Deathsmiles just to enjoy this Hudson excellence eh? :D
Why is this game so rarely talked about now when it really is so good?
Last edited by mjclark on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

The 3DS port has been canceled due to Hudson's dissolution into Konami. Wouldn't be surprised if the XBLA version gets de-listed sometime.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Estebang wrote:The 3DS port has been canceled due to Hudson's dissolution into Konami. Wouldn't be surprised if the XBLA version gets de-listed sometime.
From what I could find, it sounds like Famistu was responsible for delisting the game and Konami hasn't officially announced the games as cancelled.

Destructoid article with comment from Konami
Austin

Post by Austin »

mjclark wrote:Why is this game so rarely talked about now when it really is so good?
Could be that it doesn't have a very flexible chaining system, something that seems to be a big no-no around here.

Personally, I think this game is great. Nice visuals, lots of action, good controls for what it is. Unlocking that broken sword-based character added to the awesomeness even more, haha. I just wish the game was a little bit longer.