PAL LCD TV Supergun Compatibility Listing.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Coryoon

PAL LCD TV Supergun Compatibility Listing.

Post by Coryoon »

Ok Supergun Owners, many of us are upgrading to LCD TV's and some of us (me) have had issues that I understand relate to certain pcb's and therein certain LCD TV's refresh compatibility.

This may well be be only PAL related and primary issues relate to a fair selection of non-ancient PCB hardware.

I have tested in a variety of retailers at home;

Samsung main branded series. 4

Toshiba main branded series. 4

Sharp Aquos Series. 3

Sony Bravia series. 2

Maxim smaller LCD series (17 Inch). 1

Issues guides;

Screen will Roll or not display at all unlikely to work for anything 4

Screen displays older titles fine, but with some inconsistent issues on newer, terminal for Ketsui 3

Screen displays all but 1 board (Flicker on Ketsui) other problem boards scrolling fixed by scrolling NTSC/PAL selecter in menu 2

Runs anything and everything!! 1

My Pcb's in rank of Most problematic;

Ketsui 4
Ibara 3
Progear (Jpn) 3
Batrider (Jpn B) 2
Bakkraid 1
Mahou 1

Ok I am no authority but think this might be handy, I will need to edit this shortly as 1) Im knackered and need sleep 2) Need to clarify model No's if possible and 3) Need to do a few more misc tests.

I hope to add to the list generally and add feedback from any of you guys as to what you use etc and will amend and or change the guide (I will redesign the format if need be).

Please note that I have used 2 CRT Tv's (Sony Wega and a crappy Bush) as controls as (Sony CRT esp) they are less fussy.

In a final ridiculous pointless statement I will add that I can also grade which PCB will look best (aesthetically IMHO) on which platform eg Ketsui suits a LCD format screen whereas Ibara suits a CRT format screen. (Ignore this paragraph ;) ).
2d will never die.
system11

Post by system11 »

It will affect NTSC market and PAL market LCD screens equally. LCD displays have a number of set resolutions and refresh rates. CRTs are able to display things 'in the region of' their frequency, and resolution can vary slightly too. PCBs do not all put out 60hz pictures, some don't even match standard 'low resolution' (hello CPS2), and most panel displays will have problems with those.

Why do you think cab makers are still putting expensive CRTs in?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

I could have been clearer and yes you are correct as this appears to be a refresh issue, however I only have access to PAL TV's, so I can only vouch for them.

I will tidy up my post shortly (it was very rushed).

Incidently could you post what the TV make and model you use if it's LCD?

It's funny how the only LCD screen so far that it 100% stable is a cheapy no-name one! :roll:
2d will never die.