LED-backlit screens coming later this year

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ed Oscuro

LED-backlit screens coming later this year

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'm not sure of the cost, but I will definitely be watching later this year when Samsung rolls out LED-lit LCD screens.

Of course, that'll be little help if you're using older arcade hardware with a nonstandard resolution, and lord help us if half the screens are wide format.

That said, I'm pretty revved up. For the meantime, I'm replacing my 21" Sony Trinitron (177W) with a Samsung SyncMaster 204B. I can't wait to get rid of the crappy florescent light, though. Better light uniformity, better brightness, better-almost-everything.

But still poor support for different resolutions.

In my view, the issues holding back LCD technology the most are: pixel interpolation and display time delays on certain high-end models (which use hardware to interpolate pixels with a sometimes noticable delay), and tradeoffs between excessive speed or image quality.

SEDtv continues to interest but there's no information about how it will deal with multiple resolutions - I imagine it will perform pretty well in that regard, although different resolutions would require some electronics to co-ordinate the various elements.

Finally, I'm feeling pretty cautious about OLED (Organic LED). Good specs but the lifespan of the blue element continues to worry me.
elvis

Post by elvis »

LED backlight LCDs won't fix any of the inherent blurring and slow refresh problems of LCD technology. All they will do is create a more even backlight to shine through the liquid crystal, stopping the "white bars" that appear on most LCD monitors and TVs when they display a dark or all-black picture.

CRT continues to be the best technology for gaming, and will continue to be for some time.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

elvis wrote:LED backlight LCDs won't fix any of the inherent blurring and slow refresh problems of LCD technology.
Nope. Better base panels will fix that :D
elvis wrote:All they will do is create a more even backlight to shine through the liquid crystal, stopping the "white bars" that appear on most LCD monitors and TVs when they display a dark or all-black picture.
They also will allow darker blacks and much-improved maximum brightness (should be especially noticable on images with high contrast between dark/light areas).
elvis wrote:CRT continues to be the best technology for gaming, and will continue to be for some time.
I agree, but many of the good makes are not being produced and you can only get them secondhand. I don't know if you can find new examples of some of the better high-end CRTs through secondary channel with much frequency, although what's there should remain cheap until (hopefully) a true successor to CRT technology comes along.