Nintendo Puzzle Collection import

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
postman

Nintendo Puzzle Collection import

Post by postman »

I just broke down and imported this, and for any fans of Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle League / Panel de Pon , DO IT!!!!

Mulitplayer rocks, you can even turn off the slowdown. I'm not big on Dr. Mario or Yoshi's cookie, but PDP is awesome on a cube. Supports 1-4 players at onces and is mad fun. Well worth the import and the Freeloader price.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Aside from 4-player mode, are there any significant changes in PDP from Tetris Attack? Additional modes, etc.? I already own Tetris Attack, so I'm wondering if there's any benefit of getting this, especially considering I don't even have 3 friends who would want to play it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

At last year's E3 Nintendo said they were bringing this stateside and they never did. It is strange that a game so basic never gets a US release.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I would've bought it if it came stateside.
postman

Post by postman »

I kept hearing rumors of a US release, then got tired of waiting, so I grabbed it, fully expecting an announcement of a us release the day I get it, just like it always seems to happen in the past.........from what I read, Nintendo thought it "wouldn't sell well in a US market"..........
Aside from 4-player mode, are there any significant changes in PDP from Tetris Attack? Additional modes, etc.?
Let me consult the menu translation to recall the different game modes:

Solo game has a story mode vs. computer
Time limit mode (highest score in limited amount of time)
Line Challenge mode (clear blocks up to a line)
Puzzle combo mode (clear whole board within a set number of moves)

Most of these I remember being in Tetris Attack (though it's been a while since I played it)

Then there is custom puzzle mode, where you can build your own puzzle by setting start blocks then play the level.
Also 4 player at once support, but you already said you weren't interested in that, so aside from playing on a Cube, and removing slowdown, there isn't much reason to buy this. But if you could even pull 3 homeless people off the street, the multiplayer is great..........
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

You can download scaled-down versions of the games to your GBA if you have a GC -> to GBA adaptor. I thought that was pretty nifty. You can also use your GBA as a controller if you have said adaptor.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

I was wondering, how does the 4-player mode work in regards to garbage destruction? Do all the normal blocks clear themselves at once when you hit one (if they're from different opponents) or do you have to work each color out separately?

Like, say you have a block from P2 and a block from P3 on top of that, and you hit the P2 block. Does the P3 block also disappear?

I've been wondering this since the game was announced, since the manuals for the original versions said each color had to be eliminated separately (of course, then there were only two colors, and one was meant to impede your progress).
postman

Post by postman »

The trash blocks are different colors and styles, so you can tell who sent them over, however they break like the normal game, and the only trash blocks that give you any trouble are the (!) ones, just like the normal game............so they must have changed that option since the frist draft of the instructions.....

What is interesting about the multiplayer trash is that your attacks are random, and could go to anyone playing, INCLUDING YOURSELF! The people I play with get frustrated, becuase one person will score a 6 or 7 chain only to have it drop on themselves. When you break the (!) blocks however, these go to ALL opponents excluding yourself.........we've been looking for an option to turn off the "self attack" feature, but aren't sure if it exists and still don't understand all the menus completely.......
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

That random thing actually sounds like a lot of fun. Of course, I also play Crack Attack a lot, and in that game's single player mode, you always drop all your garbage on yourself. It's a great risk/reward system, IMO, especially since there are a bunch of types of extra garbage in one of the two modes that have different properties. Plus it's great for practicing speed and garbage-clear chains.