Play-asia's getting into the SHMUP business (Soldner-X)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The graphics indeed look awesome, but I still doubt the game will play any good.

Like it has been said, it's probably going to play as well as X2 .
soniq-man

Post by soniq-man »

professor ganson wrote:
sideshow wrote:It should be released on XBOX LIVE Arcade.
I think it's exclusive to PS3.
You can still vote if you want an Xbox360 port. Check the site.

More news soon.

Best,

Rafael
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Yes, I voted and a large percentage of people also voted for a 360 port.
soniq-man

Post by soniq-man »

sideshow wrote:Yes, I voted and a large percentage of people also voted for a 360 port.
No, I mean *now*. Now that PC and PS3 versions stand, there is a new poll, that allows you to vote if you want the game to be released on XB360. I don't think that the publishers and developer is intentionally ignoring anyone's votes. There are mechanics behind the scenes that aren't alway obvious.

Anyway, dev is in last stages. Music wise, I am working with a well known (more info soon) producer in his studio in Denmark on the mastering. Recording is completed. I'm quite certain that if you liked Last Hope's music, you will love the result. The quality of the production very much outshines my earlier work - in my opinion. We have put lots of effort into the story, sequences and soundtrack.

Best,

Rafael
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

soniq-man wrote:We have put lots of effort into the story, sequences and soundtrack.
I don't want to sound less than respectful, but shouldn't putting lots of effort into the actual game be the priority?
eight

Post by eight »

Pwn. Go.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Herr Schatten wrote:
soniq-man wrote:We have put lots of effort into the story, sequences and soundtrack.
I don't want to sound less than respectful, but shouldn't putting lots of effort into the actual game be the priority?
He is not saying that it isn't.

Besides, it is impossible for a game like this to be made without "putting lots of effort into the actual game".
soniq-man

Post by soniq-man »

Herr Schatten wrote:
I'm a freelance musician. I compose the music and priovide sound to the game. :-) Of course, I work closely with Sidequest Studios, and I can assure you that the same amount of care is being put to the other parts of the game: Graphics, coding, design, balancing. I can only post info with regards to sound, as that is my job. :wink: And with "we" I meant my mastering engineer and I. :-)

Rafael
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

soniq-man wrote:I can assure you that the same amount of care is being put to the other parts of the game: Graphics, coding, design, balancing.
Good to hear. You got me worried there for a moment.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

icycalm wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:
He is not saying that it isn't.

Besides, it is impossible for a game like this to be made without "putting lots of effort into the actual game".
Philosoma and X2 anyone?
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

You really think those games were made without "lots of effort"?

Since when is failure indicative of the amount of effort that went into a game?

If "lots of effort" was the only prerequisite for success my tone-deaf ex-girlfriend would be a pop star by now.
Last edited by icycalm on Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eight

Post by eight »

Since the beginning of videogames?
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Do you even understand what this sentence means?
icycalm wrote:Since when is failure indicative of the amount of effort that went into a game?
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Perhaps an example would help.

Have you ever watched, say, swimming races during the Olympics?

Do you think that the guy who comes last didn't put "lots of effort" into his training?
eight

Post by eight »

Since the beginning of videogames?
Do you even understand that this already was a reply (or better said a rhethorical question in return to your question) to it?

EDIT: Since you doubleposted. Err, sure, but you are comparing apples and oranges there, mate.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

I understood that it was a reply. That's why I tried to help you see that it was an inane one.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

When Herr Schatten said "Game", I believe he was meaning "Gameplay". That's how I read it anyway, that's why I brought up X2 and Philosoma

Both games had obviously lots of efforts in many areas, but it doesn't seem like the developers paid too much attention to the gameplay itself.

In X2, I feel like they just made a number of enemies, and then they send the enemies one after the other without any thought.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Shatterhand wrote:When Herr Schatten said "Game", I believe he was meaning "Gameplay". That's how I read it anyway, that's why I brought up X2 and Philosoma

Both games had obviously lots of efforts in many areas, but it doesn't seem like the developers paid too much attention to the gameplay itself.

In X2, I feel like they just made a number of enemies, and then they send the enemies one after the other without any thought.
Gameplay?! :wink:
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

games aren't like books, movies and music. Gaming is a media where the direct user interaction makes a real difference to the experience. That's where "gameplay" comes, and why "moviewatch" makes no sense.

So there you have it. If you are involved with games on a regular basis you stand to gain a lot by crossing out this useless word from your vocabulary, and replacing it either with the word 'game', or with more specific ones such as: mechanics, controls, level design, etc., as appropriate.
Mechanics, Controls, level Design, etc , all together form "gameplay".
You can't destroy the word because some stupid guy uses it to say a certain explosion doesn't look good, or the plot of Galaga is too thin.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Shatterhand wrote:games aren't like books, movies and music. Gaming is a media where the direct user interaction makes a real difference to the experience.
Like, say, car driving. You can say that a Maserati "has good cardrive", or you can just say that it's a good car. The choice is yours.
Shatterhand wrote:Mechanics, Controls, level Design, etc , all together form "gameplay".
Everything forms gameplay: the way the game plays. Even graphics and cutscenes and music form gameplay. Because if you change one of these aspects you are basically changing the way the game plays. In a more subtle way, of course, than if you had changed, say, the controls -- but in a not less valid one.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

Hey, I'll give you a million dollars if you make Guwange 2. Even though I suck at the first one, give me another one to suck at.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Motorherp

Post by Motorherp »

I'll make Guwange 2 for a million dollars. Cash in advance of course.

:: SHMUP-DEV ::
- what it says on the tin
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Motorherp wrote:I'll make Guwange 2 for a million dollars. Cash in advance of course.
I'm a millionaire, now start working smartarse. Proof-of-Concept in advance of course;-)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

icycalm wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:games aren't like books, movies and music. Gaming is a media where the direct user interaction makes a real difference to the experience.
Like, say, car driving. You can say that a Maserati "has good cardrive", or you can just say that it's a good car. The choice is yours.
I couldn't tell. I don't have a driver license, and the only car I ever drove was a Kart :)

Everything forms gameplay: the way the game plays. Even graphics and cutscenes and music form gameplay. Because if you change one of these aspects you are basically changing the way the game plays. In a more subtle way, of course, than if you had changed, say, the controls -- but in a not less valid one.
I disagree. Changing the graphics don't necessarily change the gameplay.
If you want to get real deep on this discussion, I'd tell you to go play 2 MSX games called "Twinkle Star" and "Super Zelixer"

They are shmups with both vertical and horizontal levels. Twinkle Star is a cute'em up and Super Zelixer is a typical spaceship shmups. Both are exactly the same game, and play exactly the same, even though graphically they are completely different.

I don't want to get much deep into this discussion as I don't think it's going to lead us anywhere :)
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

Shatterhand wrote:Changing the graphics don't necessarily change the gameplay.
If you want to get real deep on this discussion, I'd tell you to go play 2 MSX games called "Twinkle Star" and "Super Zelixer"
I don't have to do anything to prove to myself that the quality of the graphics affects the play experience -- the "gameplay", as you say. I've already encountered plenty of videogames out there with solid controls, mechanics, level design andwhathaveyou, which I can't get much enjoyment out of because of their lack of pleasing aesthetics.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

lol definitions
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

icycalm wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:Changing the graphics don't necessarily change the gameplay.
I don't have to do anything to prove to myself that the quality of the graphics affects the play experience -- the "gameplay", as you say. I've already encountered plenty of videogames out there with solid controls, mechanics, level design andwhathaveyou, which I can't get much enjoyment out of because of their lack of pleasing aesthetics.
This would get the discussion even further, but I don't feel like doing it, as I don't think it will be any productive :)

Not that I think you are wrong or right or anything, it's just a matter of opinion, and getting into deep discussions in english is a bit tiresome for me sometimes.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

Gameplay is a specific term that does not encompass graphics or storyline.

Nobody uses it to describe a game as a whole.

If you think the gaming experience as a whole was good, you just go "omg that game was good".

If you're referring specifically to game mechanics and items and other technical stuff, you use the term gameplay.
Motorherp

Post by Motorherp »

Necronom wrote:
Motorherp wrote:I'll make Guwange 2 for a million dollars. Cash in advance of course.
I'm a millionaire, now start working smartarse. Proof-of-Concept in advance of course;-)
Haha, man that's so close to the truth it hurts. And by "proof-of-concept" they mean all the difficult technical work that you really needed the money to be able to complete in the first place.

With regards to 'gameplay' I actualy completely agree with that article and am now going to attempt to scrub that word from my vocabulary. I can understand the need for it, ie: its possible for people to know whether a game was good or not simply due to whether they enjoyed it or not. However a lot of people simply lack knowledge on the subject of game theory to be able to analyse why the did or didn't like it and hence have to rely on saying that the 'gameplay' was wrong in order to specify that their opinion relates to something regarding the game theory rather than the graphics or theme. Unfortunately this is as useful and descriptive as simply saying, that album sucks, or that car drives bad, and ultimately doesn't help the developers one little bit.

:: SHMUP-DEV ::
- what it says on the tin
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

YAY!! this game on PS3 is going to be a download, I'm so fucking thrilled with that I could just die. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I knew this whole download crap would start taking over at some point. 1st SSF2T remix now this.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?