DoDonPachi (New Thread #2)

freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

neo wrote: Quite a good run, no bomb up to 1-5 and no miss up to 1-6. Sadly, everything after the initial death was a complete mess :( . I uploaded this run on youtube
Excellent replay neo, it's good to see someone using B-L!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Yeah it's like the first B-L video I've ever seen lol ~
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski 19,360,410 A-L 1-5 258 hit

I've gotten to the 1-6 boss, but my chaining early on has been shit and my score through 5 levels here is better. Expect to see better things eventually though (my major shmup goal is to 1cc both loops).
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

neo wrote:Image
neo - 75.075.030 - B-L - 2-3 - 495.

Quite a good run, no bomb up to 1-5 and no miss up to 1-6. Sadly, everything after the initial death was a complete mess :( . I uploaded this run on youtube.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use wolfmame on linux?
I believe the wolfmame patch applies cleanly to SDLMAME.

What did you use to record the video? -mngwrite and -wavwrite, then combining and encoding the separate video and audio parts of the playback?
neo

Post by neo »

I tried SDLmame, but it only starts with SDLmame 0.107, and it seems that mame versions over 0.99 record corrupted INP of Cave games :? . I think I will try to apply the wolfmame patch to xmame 0.99, but I don't know if it will work.

I used GTK-recordmydesktop to record the video.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski 25,718,030 A-L 1-6 198 hit

Still looking for that 1CC. Barring stupid deaths on the 3rd boss, 4th boss, and bombing my way through the 5th boss, i might have had it.

edit: if anyone is interested in the replay, i used mame32++ .117 and the file is here http://files.filefront.com/ddonpachhigh ... einfo.html Doubt anyone will watch, as I have some dumbass deaths in there and the score isn't that great, and there is no real suggestions you can tell me besides "don't suck" :P. I will use wolfmame if i ever get higher scores, but i'm using this mame now because of netplay and the fact that i don't want to have 2 mames.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski 29,272,310 A-L 1-5 389 hit

I got so nervous because my score was amazing after 3 stages (around 22 million), dropped 1 life stupidly against stage 3 boss, 1 dumb life against a pattern i usually dodge on the stage 4 boss, and then dropped 1 life during stage 5 and 3! against the boss. 3 lives against a boss that I usually only need 1 bomb to survive against. I died with full bomb stocks each time also btw.

Swear I'm going to 1cc that first loop soon!

http://files.filefront.com/ddonpachstar ... einfo.html

replay, same as last time, i'm sure no one will want to watch but you never know.
viniciusvbf

Post by viniciusvbf »

viniciusvbf 46,578,600 C-S 1-ALL 326 hit
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

stanski wrote:http://files.filefront.com/ddonpachstar ... einfo.html

replay, same as last time, i'm sure no one will want to watch but you never know.
That's the right attitude~

Good job and keep on improving ! A-L is the best ;D !!
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski 34,162,630 A-L 1-6 335 hit

http://files.filefront.com/ddonpach34mi ... einfo.html

Had i not gotten so nervous around the end of level 6 and bombed a few times, this coulda been my 1CC. I'm improving though, so I'll get it soon!
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski 37,747,360 A-L 1-5 473 hit

I am sweet and decided to just die a lot. I didn't bomb at all until stage 5, I thought dying was a better choice. :evil:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ye you feel more like a man when you don't bomb lol ^^
I hate bombing unless I'm really really cornered or in a very high risk situation. I kind of only bomb at the very last moment as a result, which is more risky but nicer to watch ^_^
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

G19 17,425,050 C-S 1-5 213 Hit

Played via Mamedox on Xbox. Damn Xbox d-pad is definately not helping.

a.k.a - G19
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I think I might join in, since I've been focusing on this game pretty heavily as of late. I'm getting so close to the 1-loop clear, but I still have to bomb stage 5 and 6 a lot, and am very inconsistant on stages 3 and 4 (less consistant on 3, for some weird reason).

RWM / 45,542,570 / A-L / 1-6 / 484

Knowing me, my 1-All will have a lower score than that -_^ Or at least a lower score than whatever high score I have at the time. I almost always fail to beat my high score when I first clear a game, it's kind of funny.
tada

Post by tada »

Yay! I suck!

tada 15,614,940 A-L 1-5 160hit
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Damocles - 26,128,190 - C-S - 1-ALL - 216hit

After not playing this game for three years I pick it back up and get the 1-loop clear. I thank the new monitor I picked up for my father. Tate really is the key. Low score, but I might try chaining...maybe...
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I've been practicing on this game for the London shmupmeet. Couldn't do anything good on the weird joystick that the cab had there, but back home the practice showed results :

PROMETHEUS - 172'449'420 - A-L - 2-3 - 842

It's a very good loop 1 (I got almost all the chains properly) followed by a very bad loop 2 with pretty quick and dumb deaths due to bad bomb usage.

Replay recorded with wolfmameplus-99.

- Used the Japanese Version of Dodonpachi -
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neo

Post by neo »

PROMETHEUS wrote:PROMETHEUS - 172'449'420 - A-L - 2-3 - 842
:shock:

Just when I thought I was getting better with 1-4 and 1-5. I guess I will have to practice a lot to beat such a score... Quoi qu'il en soit, félicitations PROMETHEUS :wink: .
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

PROMETHEUS wrote:PROMETHEUS - 172'449'420 - A-L - 2-3 - 842
:shock: We got a winner! Just watched the replay. Amazing nomiss chaining of first 5 levels, and that A ship is so fast he makes it look easy. Stage 5 was really great, as he refuses to pickup the extra bomb multiplier in order to keep the chain going, then laser bombs in a difficult section and still keeps the chain going! Regains bomb bonus back up to x5 in st6. Amazing stuff.

With practice on that last boss, and loop two practice (forget about bomb bonus, and bomb away to get the nomiss bonus at the end of each level) and his score could reach 200M.

Congrats!
CRI

Post by CRI »

just saw your replay.
awesome run! :D
you are a skilled player PROMETHEUS. :wink:
thx for sharing it you use some nice technics to chain.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Stanski - 43,169,570 - A-L - 2-1 - 479

Finally got that 1CC! Now i can actually properly play stages 4-6 going for score instead of survival.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Updated.

Congratulations to PROMETHEUS for taking the #1 spot.

Twiddle, Gorecki, AWJ, ktg, KUK, and P_HAT have been bumped off the scoreboard due to capacity of 75 submissions. Sorry to see you guys go. :(
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

lolz. I return soon! :wink:
Congratulations to PROMETHEUS for taking the #1 spot.
+1
stanski

Post by stanski »

Prometheus: thanks for the replay, its very nice to see a player closer to my skill level playing a-l versus the 600 million replay at super-play.

I've got a few questions:

1. How do you practice? Do you just play the game or what?

2. When you are playing, do you restart often?

3. You looked very in control during the first 5 stages, like every movement was perfectly planned. Then in level 6 onwards you seemed to have trouble mixing scoring and surviving. Is this often the case, or can you survive the second loop a little better if you play more conservatively? What is your scoring plan for the second loop in other words?

Thanks again, level 5 was especially impressive.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys~!
stanski wrote: 1. How do you practice? Do you just play the game or what?
Basically, sometimes I do some "dodging practice" on some difficult bosses like 1-6 or even Hibachi, but most of the time I play one stage again and again to learn how to chain it / get more consistent at chaining it. At first I liked to invent my chaining paths by myself (did that for stage 1, 2, 3 and 4), but then I got fed up of doing that and now I just copy the chaining techniques from that 600M superplay you mentioned (it's a lot faster, I learned how to chain stage 5 and 6 in about 40 hours). I never do full runs unless I want to record and make a highscore.
stanski wrote: 2. When you are playing, do you restart often?
When I actually do full runs... Well, depends on how much consistency I have been able to achieve and what score I aim to get. This time, it took me around 10 runs or so to get 172M, out of which I restarted probably 6 or 7. However, I was not happy with how it ended and wanted to try again and do better, but in the next 15 runs I kept doing mistakes like chain break in stage 2 or even miss in stage 3 (when that happens I restart immediately because it's too many points lost for something that is not very hard to do better), so I gave up and posted this run.
So yeah, I kind of restart often because it is hard to achieve really good consistency in this game, especially because a very very small mistake can cost you a lot, and even the first stages can have some hard parts. I think, if you aim for a certain score or achievement but your consistency at reaching it is really low, either aim for a lower score / smaller achievement or give up on recording for now and practice with save states to get better. This way you don't waste time.
stanski wrote: 3. You looked very in control during the first 5 stages, like every movement was perfectly planned. Then in level 6 onwards you seemed to have trouble mixing scoring and surviving. Is this often the case, or can you survive the second loop a little better if you play more conservatively? What is your scoring plan for the second loop in other words?
Well, I learned the stage 6 chain really fast in a few hours because I wanted to know it before going to the London meet, and there are definitely a few points where I could know my way better and have a more solid path. Second loop is another story as I don't really have any practice on it yet, I only know how to play 2-1 right now. So in second loop, I usually only try to survive and use bombs when I'm cornered. Points for me in second loop would come from end of stage no miss bonus, and bullet cancelling in stage 2-3, and maybe some small "easy" chains in stage 2-4. I really really messed up second loop in this run, I can definitely survive it better. Like Dave K said if I did the same loop1 again and then a good loop 2, I could score around 200M. But I have too little consistency on that and I dont want to record 100 times so I'll just practice for now until I'm consistent enough •_•!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
stratos

Post by stratos »

Congrats to Prometheus, your score is really good! However, I always ask how you and other people I know can play only training and not do full runs! I've always found training good to learn some difficult passages or chain or tricks, but when I go to full runs I really get pissed off because the tension is preatty different!

Even a great player like Ben Shinobi (French like you ;)) prefere to do full runs and clear the games before attacking score. I guess these are different style that suits different kind of players :)

Anyway, congrats for your run, it was amazing :)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Congrats Prometheus! :)

Did you achieve this score playing on a keyboard? Or did you use a stick or pad?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

stratos wrote:Even a great player like Ben Shinobi (French like you Wink) prefere to do full runs and clear the games before attacking score. I guess these are different style that suits different kind of players Smile
Like everyone else when I started playing DDP (it was one of my first shmups), I played with C-S for survival and tried to just get as far as possible and clear the game. I mean, it's really fun to do full runs when you discover the game and even after but in my opinion you will improve slower if you do too many full runs.
CIT wrote:Did you achieve this score playing on a keyboard? Or did you use a stick or pad?
Keyboard (I'm quite better with keyboards). I am still a bit unsure if I'm going to decide to always play with keyboards or with sticks in the future. The only flaw I see to keyboards is that it takes a bit too long to switch your middle finger from up to down. But I see some flaws to sticks that keyboards don't have too so I don't know yet...
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
stratos

Post by stratos »

Did you achive that rocord playing with a keyboard??!!?!?!!???!?!??! :shock:

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
CIT

Post by CIT »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Keyboard

Awesome. That should give the joystick elitists something to ponder about. ;)