Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
null1024

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by null1024 »

Been playing Exerion [Arcade].

It's fun. I'm maybe a bit too used to the handling in the [hilariously cut-down] SG-1000/MSX version, as it's extremely hard to change directions here.
It takes ages to go from flying left to moving right at all. The game has fairly heavy inertia since the presentation tries very hard to make the game feel like an into-the-screen shooter even though 100% of the play mechanics are those of a vertical shoot-em-up. It fits and it works, the game is all about managing where you are relative to enemies that try to ram you instead of dealing with loads of bullets coming at you.

One thing I really don't like is how you need both shots from your standard gun to disappear to fire it again -- on the SG-1000 version, you can shoot again once one of your shots disappears. Here, you have to rely much more heavily on the machine gun, which has limited ammo that you get back from shooting enemies.
The difficulty seems terribly front-loaded too, most of my runs ended VERY early, and then after that, I'd cruise on for quite a while without too much trouble. The opening wave of enemies is definitely harder than anything after for quite some time. :P
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Garegga finally clicked for me. I'd played the game something like 10-20- hours, and gotten the platinum trophy (which doesn't require a legit arcade 1CC), but I never really got why people loved it so much (the #1 all-time game in the last top 25 here) until I started getting deeper into the scoring and rank management. I once read a dev say that fun in a game is based on the number of decisions a player has to make from moment to moment. I can think of plenty of examples where that doesn't quite work, but I do think it has a lot to do with how engaging a game is, and that's the case here.

You're counting power ups falling off the screen (or keeping one eye on the gadget) to manage your option formations. You're dodging smaller powerups to avoid jacking the rank for little reward, and suddenly they turn from small pickups to clouds of non-lethal bullets you have to weave through. Sections leading up to the scoring tricks become focused min-sections about building toward maxing that out. You're watching your bullet fire, pausing when you can to avoid that bumping rank. Boss milking turns the fights into a boxing match, and you end up playing with all sorts of parts of the boss to find out how you can affect it while trying to time things to avoid getting rage-smashed by it at the end. And there are tons of little routing puzzles to work out along the way, right from that parking lot at the very beginning.

Since first playing it I always knew it was a fun game with solid fundamentals, but I never got why people were so enthusiastic over it. Games have had rank to manage forever. But I think having so many moving parts under the hood that the player can manipulate really juices the "one more try" factor, because you can always think of something meaningful you could have done differently to affect the situation. It mitigates burnout because of how unique each run can become once you get what's happening. It's one of those games, at least for me, that didn't really come alive until I got into the rank & scoring. But I'm glad it did, because TBH rank management has always been something I haven't been very interested in, but this has shown me how it opens up a deeper layer of the genre.
null1024 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:50 pm on the SG-1000 version
Are you playing this on an actual SG-1000? Either way, I respect it.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sengoku Strider wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:48 am Are you playing this on an actual SG-1000? Either way, I respect it.
Heh, no.
A while ago, I went through quite nearly the entire SG-1000 library to see what was good, since quite nearly no one mentions it even as a footnote, and I found myself really liking the game and thinking it handled better than the NES port of the game despite being much leaner and more stripped down.

Really, I would want the machine for only like 6 games, and a lot of the non-Sega ones can be found on the MSX.

Gulkave is... maybe too ambitious [looks great, has a horrible habit of sending the same enemy pattern over and over and over to pad the game out], but genuinely super cool, Ninja Princess was a ton of fun [even if there's an SMS version of the game], GP-World is a pretty good racing game, Champion Billiards is a fun game that I'm pretty sure is by the same team that did Lunar Pool on NES, and I had a good time with Hang-On II [which is a backport of Hang-On SMS with different layouts]. Also, Exerion, which is the one I ended up playing the most.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I love DFK.
This final stage is so much fun and over the top. Especially on BL Arrange or Arrange L.
I'm getting better at Arrange L too. I can get to stage 5 without dying now. Not consistently, but enough that I can consider my flubs to be mistakes as opposed to being overwhelmed.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

RayStorm (PS1)(PAL) 50fps
RayCrisis (PS1)(PAL) 50fps [sometime is confusionary on screen]
G-Darius (PS1)(PAL) 50fps
DoDonPachi (PS1)(NTSC-J) 60fps NO Slowdown [i'm unbelivably good at it, i don't know why :lol:]
Battle Garegga (Arcade) 60fps NO Slowdown
Batsugun (Arcade) 60fps NO Slowdown [this game is so hard...]
Sexy Parodius (PS1)(NTSC-J) 60fps
Gradius Gaiden (PS1)(NTSC-J) 60fps [graphically unsettling, at least for me...]

Darius Gaiden (PS1)(Region ???) not tried yet.

with PS1 pad , the one without analog sticks.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Using training more for KetsuiPachi.
I am getting so close to being able to kill Hivac. But that final pattern is utterly wicked. I'm comfortable with her openers. I'm comfortable on her missile-go-round. I think I can figure out that opening radial pattern on phase 3 without i-frames. But the curtains REALLY are not playing during that final sequence. I would have to absolutely have every resource possible to deal with that. But I think I can figure out how to cheese it (her health though...).

As for Golden Disaster, that's...that's a project. I don't know HOW the fuck you're supposed beat that thing cleanly. I actually have a harder time with that big bastard than Hivac. Anyone here that's confidently killing that thing is some kind of wizard because actually what in the shit.

Regardless, I feel like I could at least get a standard clear on this mode if I iron out my stage 5. The last 3 bosses are just so hard though.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I CAN GET HER. O^O
I figured out some strategies. I just need to not make stupid deaths but, I can get her!! I was so close!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOdX6YaaEI
Marc

Post by Marc »

Twin Cobra. Ouch. I'm good up to ST4 then.....
10 stages of this madness? Fuck.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steven

Post by Steven »

Marc wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:12 am Twin Cobra. Ouch. I'm good up to ST4 then.....
10 stages of this madness? Fuck.
Wait until you get to stage 8; that's the hardest stage in the game because of the ridiculous amount of helicopters and boats. Twin Cobra is the easy one, too; you can sort of bomb your way through Twin Cobra due to the respawns (and there are times that you'll have to to avoid chain deaths when it respawns you inside a giant mess of shit), but if you die on stage 8, 9, or 10 in Kyuukyoku Tiger, you'd better be pretty damn good or you probably won't be able to recover. Kyuukyoku Tiger is a beautiful masterpiece of a game, though, and easily one of the best games I've ever played in any genre. Twin Cobra... yeah no lol. I don't like Twin Cobra very much.

Green laser is better against stage 4 boss in Twin Cobra than the blue spread shot is, even if you have autofire, and you may consider using it against the stage 6 boss as well. In Kyuukyoku Tiger, green laser is better for those only if you do not have autofire.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Started derusting some of my 1ccs this week in anticipation for a trip to Galloping Ghost Arcade to try and get them on actual hardware; somehow this has led to me playing the console versions of Gradius and trying to focus on 1cc'ing the PCE version. I'm not sure how the idea that the NES version of Gradius is an easier version to 1cc came to be; the PCE version feels way more manageable compared to that version, let alone any of the arcade originals.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

I'm having a blast playing GanaBlade. Great chinese indie shmup, cheap on steam and difficult to get that sweet 1cc.
AeroBranford

Post by AeroBranford »

I've been swapping between Esprade Psi on the switch, and Touhou Perfect Sakura Fantastica on Arcade (port of Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2, a Chinese Touhou fangame remake of Perfect Cherry Blossom).

Esprade is a lot of fun, and the first CAVE game I have really tried grinding out. I consistently make it to stage 5a at this point, and I feel like it will be my first CAVE 1CC. Its aesthetics are awesome, and I have a lot more fun on the stage sections than most games. I like how the first three stages all have a variant depending on if they are your character's stage 1, 2, or 3, and some bosses I thought were easy became a lot harder when trying them on a different character. Stage 4 is probably my favorite, trying to swap between the two sides to take down the train segments was a lot of fun, and the boss is my favorite so far. I really wish it was in English though, having to read an online translation gets annoying after a while.

I was a bit hesitant to play PSF since I honestly didn't like FDF1 all that much. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, it definitely feels like they improved on the pattern design compared to their first attempt. I am almost at the point of achieving a 1CC, so far Ran Yakumo is my favorite boss. Supposedly it even has some pretty good music, although I couldn't tell due to only ever listening to the Trash Taste podcast while playing. If I had one complaint, it would be that it draws a bit too much from its source material, even almost copying one spellcard entirely. It also has the same problem that mainline Touhou has with rather uninteresting stage sections for the most part.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I threw Raiden Fighters Jet on for a few scrubruns to get a feel for the series - heard about it plenty over time, but never got around to touching a Seibu Keihatsu STG until now.

And well, it's the first shmup I've had play inoffensive elevator music at me during first boot! The SHMUP KING: HAVE IT YOUR WAY flames on the title screen are awesome too :lol: really nicely animated.

As for the game itself... Ships! Systems! Secret Mahouesque Mascot! Whaa! :shock:

On first blush it seems like a best-of-STGs mashup tape, with Raizing and Toaplan most prominent in the mix - right down to Ebonheart popping out of the Jet Carrier for some bullet corridor action :mrgreen: yet, I'm failing to draw any obvious lines between the who's-who-of-the-JAM that seem to have inspired it - I wonder if there was any staff crossover?

Nifty scoring mechanics too; I rather enjoy the stream of how did i make that happen? that comes with system-heavy games like this - figuring out how to make aerial medals take a shine to you, how to evolve them into hilarious miniboss-sized accolades, whether fairies should be grabbed, shaken down, or killed, etc.
Though medals turning into abstract silver-gold things and upending the scoring system for the rest of a run remains a mystery. I know I picked up a missile box, but that's about it...

Will have to put some more time in and try out the other 10(+?!) ships :)
Last edited by Lander on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Yeah I would say either Raiden Fighters Jet or Raiden Fighters 2 is probably the best manic style shmup ever. Jet has branching paths that can lead to longer or shorter runs with different final levels. Its super cool. Raiden Fighters 2 is a lot more traditional with its stage order.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

To Far Away Times wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:23 pm Yeah I would say either Raiden Fighters Jet or Raiden Fighters 2 is probably the best manic style shmup ever. Jet has branching paths that can lead to longer or shorter runs with different final levels. Its super cool. Raiden Fighters 2 is a lot more traditional with its stage order.
Wait...what is a "Manic style shmup"?
I've read the SHMUPS101 but there's no mention about it in the subgenres. :?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Lemnear wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am
To Far Away Times wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:23 pm Yeah I would say either Raiden Fighters Jet or Raiden Fighters 2 is probably the best manic style shmup ever. Jet has branching paths that can lead to longer or shorter runs with different final levels. Its super cool. Raiden Fighters 2 is a lot more traditional with its stage order.
Bullet hell
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Steven wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:49 am
Lemnear wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am
Bullet hell
ty.
I've read a poll on this forum about which subgenre is harded, and Bullet Hell, Danmaku, Manic, Cavaran, Memorizer etc. were all different entries :?
Lander

Post by Lander »

I thought Manic was fast + mid-density bullets (ex. Garegga, Raiden), whereas Danmaku was slow + high-density bullets (i.e. Cave, Touhou) - like the Shooting Games versus Dodging Games analogy that sometimes comes up, with Bullet Hell being a more general term that could feasibly cover both.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Lander wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:14 pm I thought Manic was fast + mid-density bullets (ex. Garegga, Raiden), whereas Danmaku was slow + high-density bullets (i.e. Cave, Touhou) - like the Shooting Games versus Dodging Games analogy that sometimes comes up, with Bullet Hell being a more general term that could feasibly cover both.
mmm make sense :roll:
I've the impression that since i've played more Danmaku/Bullet-Hell i became less able with "Manic" shmups (if this is the name of the subgenre). With clusters of bullets is more obvious where to go, while with less bullets, is harded to figute it and the fact that they are faster, make it even harder...
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

in common practice the terms are more or less synonymous. unless there arises some practical reason to use one term over the other that ends up a convention, or someone starts the international english shmup term consortium that dictates proper usage, it will probably remain as such.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

ASSAULT SHELL!

It's really hard for me to recommend this one; mostly because of stuff like this:
Spoiler
There's a fun game in here, but it does lacks polish. AS plays like a very toned down Crimzon Clover; using a very similar break system.
Graphics are clean and simple. Controls well, other than Type D's options (shown above); and the fact I can't change the key bindings in game (it always locks up :?). Sound track is pretty good, a little more mellow than I'm use to. Can't find the best tracks on Youtube; but here's some anyway.

Stage 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFovFb ... J9&index=3
Boss Track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJMQ7V7uIs

I 1cc'd it this morning, took about 13 hours. I'm not quite done with it yet. I'll try for the 2-ALL since I've already made it to 2-5.
EDIT: I did get it, it took another two hours. It's time for a harder game.

Check it out, if you'd like.
Last edited by The_Fix on Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
minion

Post by minion »

Been working my way through the M2 Zero Wing / Hellfire release. I was surprised at how much I like Zero Wing, although it's definitely a tough one. The last two stages are pretty rough on arcade mode. The music is so great I keep coming back tho. When it's kicked my ass too much, I cool off by playing the Mega Drive version, which has even better music IMO.

Really expected to like Hellfire more. Maybe I'd enjoy it more if there was a way to 'hotkey' button-to-weapon mappings, so you didn't have to memorize the number of presses to cycle to the weapon you need. I always find myself having fun up until I mis-cycle to the wrong weapon and lose a life, at which point I just hop out and go back to playing Zero Wing.

Overall a little conflicted on the release since the Insert Credit podcast mentioned that the M2 president has had some questionable tweets. Just makes me really sad, M2 was such an obvious boon to the community it was easy to feel good about supporting them. Now not so clear.
BIL

Post by BIL »

minion wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:37 amOverall a little conflicted on the release since the Insert Credit podcast mentioned that the M2 president has had some questionable tweets. Just makes me really sad, M2 was such an obvious boon to the community it was easy to feel good about supporting them. Now not so clear.
What'd he do, reveal the DECO project was a stealth April Fool's?
Lander

[Muffled Kenny Loggins]

Post by Lander »

Decided on a ship in Raiden Fighters Jet - Judge Spear Slave - and put in enough practice to savestate no-miss up to Real Combat 1.
I'm getting the hang of activating special medal mode at the first Miclus of the second stage. Feels odd for a good run to throw away the interesting combining mechanic so quickly in favor of a more straightforward Garegga approach, but it undeniably makes flying less chaotic.

Can't decide if a 1-ALL feels doable short-term or not - it seemed well in reach at first since continues were artificially lowering the rank, but the other side of the coin is delivering a vigorous beating. Those stage 4 boats in particular are vicious thanks to their tight point-blank window - had to hail-mary a fairy bomb from one of them to cut through the boss safely on my successful run.
Speaking of, bosses seem almost tame by comparison to the more aggressive zako rushes - a couple of well calculated kabooms and you barely have to dodge anything!

And woo, Real Combat 1. They really kick it up a gear with those stealth fighters :shock: manageable with proper positioning, but it's easy to screw up amid the QUICK SHOT chaos and let one live long enough to snipe you.

Unwound with an improptu evening of K Tiger afterward, which by comparison has been kicking my ass in the manner of a seasoned Jujutsu practitioner. Slow, deliberate, effortless. Your form is poor, student :wink:

More fool me for passing it up as a little too retro until now - good design wasn't invented at the turn of the decade, after all. I'm still acclimatizing to the stately pace and big hitboxes (Stage 2 Plane Boss is the wall thus far) but it's quite fascinating to see the nuances that emerge when you slow things to the point where travel time and trajectory are hard-committal.

Firing lines, turret turn rates and enemy control as primary concerns, imminent death being visible but not fixable with a simple flick of the wrist, V-strafing dodges that lend a surprisingly dog-fighty feel to certain baddies, having to accept that you missed the powerup carrier in the melee... And woe betide the inattentive player who allows a powerup traffic jam to occur! :) The genre never fails to amaze with its versatility.

And of course, the music. Come for the cool helicopter, stay for the pitch perfect aviator-toting 80s pilot 'sperience 8)
minion

Post by minion »

BIL wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:11 am
minion wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:37 amOverall a little conflicted on the release since the Insert Credit podcast mentioned that the M2 president has had some questionable tweets. Just makes me really sad, M2 was such an obvious boon to the community it was easy to feel good about supporting them. Now not so clear.
What'd he do, reveal the DECO project was a stealth April Fool's?
https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/2693- ... rritt-k/74 has the details if you're interested
BIL

2 birds 1 stone

Post by BIL »

minion wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:11 amhttps://forums.insertcredit.com/d/2693- ... rritt-k/74 has the details if you're interested
Thanks! Phew, I thought it really was about the DECO stuff. Having wracked my soul, I have come to a solution... Image
Totally not a GIF of M2 Prez spotting WEF technicians installing the Bass Quake Speakers in his yard

1) buy 2 copies, now u are mad @ paying 2x 3;
2) give 1 to me FO FREE >¦3
3) now your suffering is immense >83 but ur karma is nice~ ;3
Lemnear

Re: 2 birds 1 stone

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:35 am
Totally not a GIF of M2 Prez spotting WEF technicians installing the Bass Quake Speakers in his yard
1) buy 2 copies, now u are mad @ paying 2x 3;
2) give 1 to me FO FREE >¦3
3) now your suffering is immense >83 but ur karma is nice~ ;3
Sorry BIL but this GIF will be stolen :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Works great in Galaga etc threads! :3
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm trying to counterstop the Hamster Switch port of Halley's Comet and failing miserably. I'm not sure if it's the slight bit of added input lag (thanks Switch) or if it's the visibility issue of playing on a fairly large TV compared to an arcade cabinet monitor, but it's making me feel I've lost my touch a bit. :P I've gotten hit multiple times by stuff I straight up haven't seen which is very strange. I might have to sit closer to the TV or try hooking it up to a smaller TV.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Horii is a very eccentric dude. He kind of always seems like he's somewhere between one third to half asleep, and if you ever meet him, there's a decent chance he'll pull out his phone in the middle of your conversation and start posting stuff on Twitter while still managing to keep up with your conversation about how Mega Drive and Saturn games have become prohibitively expensive or whatever. At least, that's how it was when I met him a year and a half ago. The best way to describe him is by using the Japanese term "my pace".

Anyway, my unofficial break from shooting after playing nothing but Kyuukyoku Tiger for a while has more or less continued, but I sort of started Raiden III, I guess. I haven't really been able to play it that much yet, but I'm not sure how I feel about the game so far. Jaimers says the best missile here is the R missile, which is interesting because MOSS then decided to make the R missile super terrible in Raiden IV.
minion wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:37 am Been working my way through the M2 Zero Wing / Hellfire release. I was surprised at how much I like Zero Wing, although it's definitely a tough one. The last two stages are pretty rough on arcade mode. The music is so great I keep coming back tho. When it's kicked my ass too much, I cool off by playing the Mega Drive version, which has even better music IMO.
1P arcade Zero Wing is deceptively hard. It doesn't look hard, but then you get to the hard parts and you'll have trouble because some of the checkpoints are very difficult to recover from and the game will only give you like 2 or 3 extends over the course of a single loop if you don't get the 10UP, so you absolutely cannot afford to make any mistakes in the second half, especially on stages 7 (7 is easily the hardest stage in the game, BTW) and 8. 2P is somewhat easier, but you lose about half of your shots on screen because of the potential presence of the second player.
Lander wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:37 amUnwound with an improptu evening of K Tiger afterward, which by comparison has been kicking my ass in the manner of a seasoned Jujutsu practitioner. Slow, deliberate, effortless. Your form is poor, student :wink:

More fool me for passing it up as a little too retro until now - good design wasn't invented at the turn of the decade, after all. I'm still acclimatizing to the stately pace and big hitboxes (Stage 2 Plane Boss is the wall thus far) but it's quite fascinating to see the nuances that emerge when you slow things to the point where travel time and trajectory are hard-committal.

Firing lines, turret turn rates and enemy control as primary concerns, imminent death being visible but not fixable with a simple flick of the wrist, V-strafing dodges that lend a surprisingly dog-fighty feel to certain baddies, having to accept that you missed the powerup carrier in the melee... And woe betide the inattentive player who allows a powerup traffic jam to occur! :) The genre never fails to amaze with its versatility.

And of course, the music. Come for the cool helicopter, stay for the pitch perfect aviator-toting 80s pilot 'sperience 8)
That Uemura enemy placement is part of what makes the game so special. He really did a genre-defining job in the second half of the game, which is essentially an evil and distorted alternate reality version of the first half, and that makes it cool.

The other part is of course the music.