Refitting a Dreamcast Agetek joystick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mushy

Refitting a Dreamcast Agetek joystick

Post by Mushy »

A warm hello to you all,

As my first post Ill introduce myself. I am Mushy, I am known under this name (and many other guises) playing iCTF unreal tournament 99 for the last 2 years. My interests of course are more far reaching than just FPS games; but this has been my primary source of entertainment for a while. I have just recently liberated my dreamcast from its slumber to find many fine shmups ported to my beloved system. (A system that I always loved and thought very highly of, despite its short lifetime and development cycle)

I've recently bought the AgeteK aracade stick (green buttoned one). It was a toss up between buying this and modifying my current home-build arcade stick (6 button + coin, reset and joystick JAMMA setup) I built about 6 years ago. I went for the "lazy" option because I liked the look of the DC stick.

However I am looking to re-fit the buttons and the stick itself both for that "authentic" arcade feel, and also because the unit was purchased second hand and the joystick (judging by the state of the joystick-down microswitch) has clearly been used heavily in fighers and is a little "loose" for my liking.

Many concratulations if you have made it this far btw you patience has been much appreciated ;) My question is rather simple aside from the excessive text above.

I have read http://www.tychom.org/stick/index.html

Physically the work to be undertaken is not a problem.However what would be the best joystick/button combination for me?

I'm happy with the DC stick as it is, just that its a little "worn" for my liking, I'd maybe like to have to move the joystick a bit less off-center to activate the switches (ie have it more sensitive) the fitted buttons are fine but for completeness I will refit with the same brand as my chosen stick.

So basically, what should I go; for Sanwa or Seimitsu?

My supplier will be http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/arcadeparts.htm

If anyone would be able to advise me on the best joystick especially, I would be very grateful. Or maybe more practically, give me a indication as to how both sanwa and seimitsu joystick "feel" compared to the factory parts.

If you made it this far please have a beer on me, and I'll be forever in debt for your input.

:D
Last edited by Mushy on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Circa2113

Post by Circa2113 »

Well, I suppose you will be playing mostly shmups?

Seimitsu, in my opinion, is much better for the precise joystick movements you will desire with any shmup title.

Sanwa sticks seem a little looser which can make controlled movements more difficult. (although it's nice for fighters where you need half-circles, dragon punches, quarter circles, etc.)
Mushy

Post by Mushy »

Yes this will be used 95% for shmups, if you have any specific joystick model suggestions from that page regarding the stick itself it would be a great help. As for the buttons and the fitting I'm guessing that sanwa is easier for doing this mod?
brumma

Post by brumma »

Mushy wrote:Yes this will be used 95% for shmups, if you have any specific joystick model suggestions from that page regarding the stick itself it would be a great help. As for the buttons and the fitting I'm guessing that sanwa is easier for doing this mod?
Seimitsu LS-32 is the joystick you want for shmups. Keep in mind that the shaft on the Seimitsu is shorter than that of the Sanwa, so you may just want to cut away the plastic and mount the stick directly to the inside of the top metal plate. Sanwa and Seimitsu snap-in buttons require the same modification process, so take your pick there. Screw-ins require a bit more cutting. Personally, I prefer Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons over Seimitsu PS-14-G.
Mushy

Post by Mushy »

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll cut down the housing walls around the stick and see how I like the seimitsu when its mounted to the plastic underside, if it's too short I'll bolt it directly to the metal plate.