US PSP Launch Titles

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
judesalmon

US PSP Launch Titles

Post by judesalmon »

Having a ball with Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 and Ape Escape On The Loose, and overall it seems that the titles that have been available for the PSP US launch have been pretty good.

Thoughts?
Be attitude for gains:
1) Be praying...
2) Be praying...
3) Be praying...

And a shameless plug for the stuff I'm selling on eBay, if you're into that sort of thing.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

how is the Ape Escape conversion? any new stuff at all?
I have no sig whatsoever.
judesalmon

Post by judesalmon »

Looks better than the PSOne version (obviosuly), more polygons, better textures, smoother overall, but the PSP is capable of more.

Doesn't seem to be too different from the original, apart from the mini-games (such as ape boxing etc.) that can be played wirelessly too.

What did the second analogue stick do in PSOne version?
Be attitude for gains:
1) Be praying...
2) Be praying...
3) Be praying...

And a shameless plug for the stuff I'm selling on eBay, if you're into that sort of thing.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

one was move and the other was used for weapons (swing to use net, rotate around to use the helicopter-thing,etc. )
I have no sig whatsoever.
BIG

Post by BIG »

How is the frame rate in Wipe-Out: Pure?

BTW,MGAc!d is SHWEET!

BIG-
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

i heard the ridge racer game was really good too.
"It could be that my view on the absurdness of this story is not objective and you don't think it to be unusual at all but I can't help being impressed by this chain of events."
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

The only PSP game that looks interesting to me now is an import; Namco Museum.

I could care less about the releases that are out now which are mostly EA games.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Wipeout Pure is awesome. When I first played wipeout in 95 or 96 my jaw dropped from the presentation and awesome feeling of speed. This version has the same ability. The graphics are lush and beautiful, the soundtrack is just as good as it always has been and the sensation of speed is pretty acurate. I would not say it is better than F-zero on the GC, but for a handheld system this just rocks.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Is the atmosphere in Wipeout Pure more like a theme park as in Wipeout XL or urban sprawl as in Wipeout 3? And are the tunes more "repetitive beat" trance-like as in XL or are they actually musical like Wipeout 1 and the awesome Xpander Edit from Wipeout 3?

Also, anybody played Ridge Racers and its prequels and can comment on how the new game feels? I'm a diehard RR fan.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I was gonna bite the bullet and get a bundle pack and Wipeout Pure today until I found out we don't get paid till next Thursday. Urrgggh. Here's hoping they are still available because I go on a short road trip on Saturday. Then once I get my tax refund hello 1 gig mem stick and portable MST3K. 8)

As you can tell after a lot of skepticism, I have totally warmed up to the system after reading and seeing a lot more overhwelmingly positive impressions. Can't wait to see what emulation and homebrew brings to it.

I am really iffy on getting Metal Gear Acid though now after reading the very detailed IGN review. Sounds like a very frustrating game. What do you think of the IGN review, Mr. Big? Assuming you read it, whattaya think about what Mr. Allen said about fights being cheap and interrupted a lot by the card format?
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

i just played this shit yesterday for NPS 2, and graphics are just as good as the ps2!!! this shit is amazing..Im picking up Lumines (looks like a very addictive music puzzle game) and maybe Twisted Metal (online!) and maybe the new Darkstalkers game
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Went to Wally world after work last night and put one on layaway for $26. There were still a lot of 'em left but I'm not taking any chances. Now I just need to decide on a launch game to buy. I'll probably get Lumines later as it looks excellent but I want more than a puzzle game.
fog

Post by fog »

Still waiting for my Wipeout Pure import to arrive. :(

Had the PSP for a couple of months now and still playing it like mad even though I only have 2 games.

Ridge Racer is great. Excellent conversion, a ton of tracks and you can't beat a bit of wi-fi multiplayer at work :D

Lumines though is the game I've lost most time to. Might not appeal to some but the way the music and gfx constantly change makes it hellishly addictive. Only problem now is a single game now takes over an hour.
judesalmon

Post by judesalmon »

I've had a PSP since Japanese launch and now have eleven games for it:

Japanese:
Everybodys Golf - very pretty and plays an excellent game of golf.
Lumines - best puzzle game ever IMO, top score 767,000; still trying to beat a million.
Namco Museum - the old games are classics and the revamped versions are very good.
Puyo Puyo Fever - you either like it or you don't.
Puzzle Bobble - ditto
Ridge Racers - runs at 60 frames and is the best looking RR yet, an excellent racing game and the best RR yet.
Vampire (Darkstalkers) Chronicle - looks beautiful, plays amazingly, some control issues with PSP's D-Pad.

American:
Ape Escape On The Loose - just like the PSOne version, but a very solid platformer.
Metal Gear Ac!d - I really liked the time I spent with the Japanese version, but was a bit dubious after the IGN review, however Gamespot gave it a much better review, so I picked it up yesterday (yet to play).
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix - amazing to see this running so well on a handheld machine, a good game to show the PSP off with and a good game to play.
Wipeout Pure - runs at 30 frames with some occasional slowdown, but this can be excused considering how much is going on. The best looking 3D PSP game (having seen Tales Of Eternia in the flesh that takes the honours for best-looking PSP game) and my favourite Wipeout yet.
Be attitude for gains:
1) Be praying...
2) Be praying...
3) Be praying...