NES cartridge cleaner that gets top and bottom connectors??.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

NES cartridge cleaner that gets top and bottom connectors??.

Post by dave4shmups »

I saw this at Game Force several years ago, but haven't seen it since. It's a rectangular device that "grips" onto both the top and bottom sets of connectors in a NES cartridge, and then you just slide it back and forth.

Does anyone know the name of this device, and where I can get one??
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I don't know about those gimmicks. I mean, if you really want to spend the money to get this device then sure, but if you just want to get the job done then a jar of Q-tips and a bottle of rubbing alcohol ought to do just as well and cost less.

And back on topic, no I don't know where to get one, sorry.. Did Nintendo have an official cleaning kit?
icepick

Post by icepick »

I used the... erm... "Eliminator" or something like that, the pink one, that was sold at GameSt-... Funcoland. It was like the product that you are describing, but was instead a single fancy angled-T-shaped plastic "swab" that one could use on one side of the cartridge connector, and then the other. I'm sure that you've seen it.

The solution included was more diluted than alcohol, which I suppose might be gentler on the cartridge connecter. Also back on topic, no, I haven't seen the one that you're talking about. Good luck! :wink:
\\ /\/\ \
antron

Post by antron »

I have heard that loading problems have more to do with the lockout chips not syncing than anything (which may be partially due to dirtyness)

you can disable the one in the NES by removing one of its pins. your problems will probably go away.
PC Engine Fan X!

Yes, Nintendo released such an official NES Cleaning kit

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

iatneH wrote:I don't know about those gimmicks. I mean, if you really want to spend the money to get this device then sure, but if you just want to get the job done then a jar of Q-tips and a bottle of rubbing alcohol ought to do just as well and cost less.

And back on topic, no I don't know where to get one, sorry.. Did Nintendo have an official cleaning kit?
For iatneH,

Yes, Nintendo did indeed release such an Official NES Cleaning Kit back in 1991-1992 timeline. It was even for sale at USA Toys-R-Us stores for $9.99 MSRP. I bough one on clearance at my local Toys-R-Us store for a mere $3.99 USD -- best $$$ spent to take care of my 1st generation NES console. You could even use it with the newer 2nd generation "top-loading" NES console as well. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks for the suggestions; it's the cleaning wand that came with the Official NES Cleaning Kit-and there are actually some new ones on Ebay!

Last month, I picked up a Generation NEX console, and it really is great! It won't play a few games on the console, but it's very solid over all. The only thing that stinks about it is that you can't wiggle the cartridge around to get it to work; it clicks in and that's about it. The FC Twin, which has a slot for both SNES, and NES games, works better, though.

My NEX isn't dirty, but I wonder if the system cleaner would work/fit in the NEX?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"