Newbie question. - LCD Flatscreen, possible to tate?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Atamosk

Newbie question. - LCD Flatscreen, possible to tate?

Post by Atamosk »

I hear alot of you folks talking about playing tate and tbh im getting a bit jealous :D (Reason for LCD is i use a regular game console to play)
So here is my situation, i have a regular flatscreen TV with no wall-support only a base/pedestle to stand on.

I assume this is a frequently asked question and there are already FAQ's around but using the "search" option gave no positive results. so excuse me for that.

I assume you are using a pair of bracers mounted to the wall. Cushioned to prevent damage markings.?

Afcours i can just stick to the horizontal-tate setup(in-game options) but it just takes alot from the experience imho.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

I'm sorry, I don't understand what exactly you are asking. Do you want to know how people go about playing in Tate?
I got mad gigabytes.
VeganZombie

Post by VeganZombie »

Wait, you want to try rotating a flatscreen LCD so you can play tate mode, but you've only got a base to use?

Using the base sounds really risky to me, so yes, a wall mount would be your best bet, but I've never seen someone mount a flatscreen sideways.. I don't know what's available to make it happen either.

Let me know if I've completely missed what you were trying to say.
-VeganZombie :mrgreen:
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

VeganZombie wrote:Wait, you want to try rotating a flatscreen LCD so you can play tate mode, but you've only got a base to use?

Using the base sounds really risky to me, so yes, a wall mount would be your best bet, but I've never seen someone mount a flatscreen sideways.. I don't know what's available to make it happen either.

Also, I assume the LCD TV is 16:9 widescreen, this is not good for Tate.

Generally, the best thing to do is get a dedicated CRT monitor that you can flip sideways. Tate mode is actually just a standard 4:3 image flipped to 3:4, not 9:16. If you do it on your TV you will either have a stretched image, or you will have to have big black bars on the top and bottom.

But, like VeganZombie said, you don't want to be vertically mounting your TV!!!
I got mad gigabytes.
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

I apologise for my limited english.
VeganZombie wrote:Wait, you want to try rotating a flatscreen LCD so you can play tate mode, but you've only got a base to use?

(The base i was talking about are the feet used to have it stand up as i now have it on a piece of furniture. In the future i intend to wall-mount it.)

Nah you got the idea,
I was thinking if people here have ever done this and can advice from experience on attempting this luxury gimmick.
It would probably be held by bracers with cushions to prevent damage from scrathing (metal-bracers VS metal-TV) to lift the TV and these bracers should be mounted on a turnable table so it can be turned 90* when needed.

Perhaps i just misunderstood what you people are refering to when saying TATE. When a console game does contain a TATE option it seems to be critisiced heavily for it so i assumed this is the type of setup you use to play.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Tate is the mode which rotates the screen so that the game can be played on a 4:3 screen placed vertically (3:4). This allows for pretty much an arcade perfect display, depending on the system. The Dreamcast + VGA is probably the most accurate besides a Mame PC. Tate mode is praised, not criticised, when it is included in games.
I got mad gigabytes.
brumma

Post by brumma »

If the TV has a standard VESA mounting surface on the back, you can buy a swivel stand for it. Generally speaking, they cost $200-300. Of course, the software must support TATE mode. Certain PCB games are designed to be played in TATE mode only, while certain PS2, Dreamcast, or MAME games give you the option to play in TATE or not. As ktownhero mentioned, if you have a widescreen TV, then the graphics will be distorted as the games are designed to be played on a standard 4:3 screen.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

So you switch the foot for the wall or desk mount basically.
If your tv has the option (on the remote) to have it display 4:3 so you get black borders on the left and right there should be no problem with distorted graphics.
Just check for LCD or TFT mounts and make sure it can handle the weight of your TV.
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
D

Post by D »

Just do it. Burger King has lcd tated. the 16:9 thing is, well not that big of deal just set it up with borders or just stretch the damn thing.
First just try it out without mounting, but do be careful it doesn't fall OK.
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

Alright, thanks everyone for your support, I'l look around the local hardware stores what they have for this.