XRGB2 question re PCB's and project i'm working on

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

XRGB2 question re PCB's and project i'm working on

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi,

I'm building my own cabinet which is a hybrid supergun/arcade monitor/PC speakers enclosed in a semi professionally built cabinet that I believe will have some traits of the New astro city or Egret 2. Except it will be made of mahogony. :lol:

The monitor will likely be a 29" with a cubic type frame, its going to be a CRT but it runs at 31khz only.

I already have an XRGB2 which is going to be redundant soon. So I was thinking about putting it in the cab permanently. My question is, how good is the XRGB2 with PCB's?

I know Matt uses the XRGB2 but I don't think he is around anymore. Does anyone else have experience with PCB's through the XRGB2?

Monitor - 640x480 @ 31khz

Supergun - Work in progress

Specs -

Neo Geo DB15 x 2 - Button 6 = Neo geo D
Neo Geo AV out Din8 configuration
Internal RGB pots
Coin/service button
External component transcoder for external cab SG use
Tubular key mechanism to power on :lol:
Audio line level output (3.5mm jack/RCA/phonos/Din8 neo geo audio out)
Gun metal finish

Video support -

Neo Geo Din 8 SCART lead to TV

Or Neo Geo Din 8 - JP RGB21 to XRGB2 - VGA monitor

Or Neo Geo Din 8 - External Component transcoder

Cabinet specs -

Thinking New astro CP, or Chrome plate on wooden CP
Monitor will rotate but will require pulling out and putting back in.
Obviously Sanwa/Seimeistu parts
CP will be plugged into SG DB15's.

I don't think it will done anytime soon, as 3 people are involved in the construction process of several parts. I'm just putting the parts together, as it is my idea.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
parodius

Post by parodius »

I use the XRGB2 on my Naomi Universal Cabinet, I love it because :
- you can add fake scanlines that make low-res images displayed in 31k look like 15k
- there's a PCB setting that reduces the higher line level that Jamma RGB uses to standard VGA level
- games with odd frequencies like Seibu SPI (54Hz) work like a charm

What kind of monitor are you using ?

Also, I can't see the pic of your supergun.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Monitor is not a definate yet.

The one pictured is a Samsung.

You should be able to see the pic of the supergun.. its in the early stages yet anyway.

Your info sounds promising except it sounds like you've got one thing backwards. Jamma RGB is 320x240 or thereabouts, VGA is 640x480.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

parodius wrote:- there's a PCB setting that reduces the higher line level that Jamma RGB uses to standard VGA level
Which setting is that ?
Also what does 'AFC' do ?

On-topic: My Out Zone PCB is missing like 1 cm of the screen on the right side through the xrgb2 on a Dell 2405FPW TFT monitor.
If I use an old TV without the xrgb2 I miss 1 cm on the left side of the screen :?

Dogyuun, Truxton and Gunbarich look beautiful through the xrgb2.
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
parodius

Post by parodius »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Your info sounds promising except it sounds like you've got one thing backwards. Jamma RGB is 320x240 or thereabouts, VGA is 640x480.
Actually I was talking about voltage, not resolution. Jamma RGB uses a higher voltage than VGA RGB.
Michaelm wrote:
parodius wrote:- there's a PCB setting that reduces the higher line level that Jamma RGB uses to standard VGA level
Which setting is that ?
It's the small switch next to the 21 pin RGB port.
I don't remember exactly how it's labelled, maybe "ARC/RGB" and that's what you misread "AFC" ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
PC Engine Fan X!

The "AFC" term appears on the "on-screen"

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

parodius wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote: Your info sounds promising except it sounds like you've got one thing backwards. Jamma RGB is 320x240 or thereabouts, VGA is 640x480.
Actually I was talking about voltage, not resolution. Jamma RGB uses a higher voltage than VGA RGB.
Michaelm wrote:
Which setting is that ?
It's the small switch next to the 21 pin RGB port.
I don't remember exactly how it's labelled, maybe "ARC/RGB" and that's what you misread "AFC" ?
Actually, the words next to the Japanese 21-pin RGB port on the XRGB-2 reads "RGB PCB/STD" for the mini selector switch.

The "AFC" term is shown when the "on-screen" menu of the XRGB-2 is presented. I've wondered myself what some the functions of my XRGB-2 does such as previously mentioned "AFC" setting among others. A few of XRGB-2's sold, did come with English translated instructions...but most XRGB-2 sold came with the original Japanese instruction manual (like mine did). ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~