Free scrolling 8-way control systems....

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
EvaNoGainen

Free scrolling 8-way control systems....

Post by EvaNoGainen »

So, vertical and horizontal games have control systems that are quite clear cut, and either go along the r-type/ikaruga lines of firing in one direction, or in the Zero Gunner 2/forgotten worlds line of changing the fire direction.

But in all the above games there is no control over the map movement. No free movement.

There are free movement shooters, like Thunderforce 1 and 2, and they have constant movement and you change direction and fire the way you are going.

Then there is the desert strike aproach, which basically adds push scrolling t the equation. But then desert strike isn't really classic shooter action.

So the big question is:

What is the perfect N-way free roaming control system ?

Should it push scroll, or continuous scroll ?
Should your fire direction be the way you are travelling, or controlled separately ?

I've been doing some thinking and was after comments on the following control model...

standard up the screen (vertical shmup) contols for the d-pad and firing
shoulder buttons to "turn", the world rotates (eg. the viewpoint is overhead chase cam, a la ikaruga, but with you controlling the direction of movement over the bg.)
the reason for this is that you get free roaming, but it still plays like a classic shmup.

or is the standard ship in center of screen a la TF2 better for it's simplicity ?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I've always favored:

- Ship stays in the center of the screen (thus scrolling only when you move). This allows you to strategically pick at enemies (or better yet, giant bases with multiple pieces).

- Shoot in the direction you are pointing your ship. But have a button which allows you to lock your position and strafe. Another optional piece that would be nice is to have shoulder buttons rotate you when you are locked into strafe mode.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
j^aws

Re: Free scrolling 8-way control systems....

Post by j^aws »

EvaNoGainen wrote:...

I've been doing some thinking and was after comments on the following control model...
Some examples;

- Robotron 2084; Smash TV; Ikari Warriors; TNK III; Cal .50;

They have independent movement and firing directions using 2 sticks or Stick/ spinner. IMO, the best method.

- Gundhara; Shock Troopers; Hyper Duel (SAT);

They have an 8-way stick for movement. Firing direction follows movement. You fire by tapping a button. However, you can lock a direction of fire by holding said button and move with 8-way stick. IMO, the next best method.

- Commando; Mercs; Gauntlet;

They have an 8-way stick and firing direction is the same as movement. Annoying as fuck. IMO, the worst method.

Hope that helps!