Logitech Action Controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rockaroller

Logitech Action Controller

Post by rockaroller »

Hi folks. Has anyone ever played with one of these? They look pretty good - the finish seems solid and the D-pad looks quite comfortable. Link here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-4 ... -1mvh.html
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

I have a derivative of that controller for the PC which has the same d-pad and buttons, but no analog sticks and rumble. It works well enough, and the pad is loose and easy to use - kind of reminds me of a more raised Saturn d-pad.

For PS2, though, I'm absolutely in love with the Logitech wireless pads. They work great, have long battery life, and fit my hand much better than a Dual Shock. The downside is that it's more expensive, but I think it's well worth the cost. You may be able to pick it up online for cheaper than retail as well, which is around $40 :( .
rockaroller

Post by rockaroller »

ahnslaught wrote:I have a derivative of that controller for the PC which has the same d-pad and buttons, but no analog sticks and rumble. It works well enough, and the pad is loose and easy to use - kind of reminds me of a more raised Saturn d-pad.

For PS2, though, I'm absolutely in love with the Logitech wireless pads. They work great, have long battery life, and fit my hand much better than a Dual Shock. The downside is that it's more expensive, but I think it's well worth the cost. You may be able to pick it up online for cheaper than retail as well, which is around $40 :( .
Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably get a ps2 one and post my impressions here. :D
rockaroller

Post by rockaroller »

Well, as we say in my country: promise is debt!

I received the gamepad on friday - fortunately, I was able to buy it in Brazil, through www.submarino.com.br, at the bargain price of aproximately R$ 70, which is more or less 30 US Dollars.

The first thing you'll ever notice is it's size: it's a lot smaller than Sony's Dualshock, so you may think "what the hell?!? Am I gonna be able to play with such a tiny gamepad?". The answer, at least for me, is: YEAH! It fits my hands more properly than Sony's, and the rubber grips on its sides avoid it from sliding, a terrible problem I always have, because my hands sweat too much.

The whole artifact is very well constructed and finished. It weighs a little more than Sony's, which may be or not a troble (for me, it isn't). The buttons are a little hard to press, but the difference is very subtle, so many of you wouldn't really notice. The L and R triggers are smaller, but this hasn't affected my performance on games that demand it (I play guitar hero sometimes to relief the stress, hehe :mrgreen:). The analog sticks are good as well, with good response, but are a little looser, which may or may be not a good thing, depending on your tastes.

Now, the DPAD is where this controller really shines. As ahnslaught said above, they have a feel similar to the Saturn DPAD, just are a little more lifted up, and a little less soft than Saturn's, but are almost as precise. They answer to the touch very fast. A lot superior than Sony's, and a good reason to buy the controller.

9/10.

:D
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Hey, I'm also looking for a good gamepad for PC mame-ing.

I notice that on the logitech controller above, the D pad is 1 large button/piece. How does that feel vs. something like a playstation controller where each d-pad direction has it's own button? I would think a playstation-like d-pad would be more precise? any opinions/thoughts would be helpful.

I'm currently using a plain saitek gamepad that has a 1 button d-pad like the logitech above.

edit: i'm using an older version of http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/P220.htm
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

The PS2 doesn't have individual buttons for the d-pad - it's one piece where the directions are raised and the rest hidden beneath the casing. In my opinion, that style is crap, since it makes it much too stiff with not enough travel.

Comparing other d-pads like the Logitech to the PS2, though, the other ones are much looser, and have more travel when you press a direction. It just feels better to me, especially playing stuff like fighting games and shooters where you have to make tons of moves with the d-pad.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

ahnslaught wrote:The PS2 doesn't have individual buttons for the d-pad - it's one piece where the directions are raised and the rest hidden beneath the casing. In my opinion, that style is crap, since it makes it much too stiff with not enough travel.

Comparing other d-pads like the Logitech to the PS2, though, the other ones are much looser, and have more travel when you press a direction. It just feels better to me, especially playing stuff like fighting games and shooters where you have to make tons of moves with the d-pad.
Oh, didn't know that. Thanks for the input.

I have heard good things about the Hori digital controller for GC so I have one of those coming my way to play Ikaruga and Radio Allergy (whenever it's released...gr). I might get a GC to USB adapter for that, but in the meantime use my old saitek.