Stick or pad

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

FrederikJurk wrote:
popawell wrote:Who cares if its stick or pad. Use whatever floats your boat!
Do I need to say anything simpler than that? :wink:
It´s a bit sad that we need to say this over and over again. You am okay, I am okay. Damnit, it JUST FRICKING VIDEO GAMES!
The problem is that most people who post on video game messageboards have either been flamed repeatedly for stating their opinions, or they've seen others flamed repeatedly, to the point where they are scared sometimes to say what they really think, with conviction. Hence all the stupid smilies, imo, imho, etc...

I mean for fuck's sake OF COURSE people will use whatever they prefer, it's not like we'll send them to concentration camps if they don't follow our advice.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

icycalm wrote:
FrederikJurk wrote:
popawell wrote:Who cares if its stick or pad. Use whatever floats your boat!
Do I need to say anything simpler than that? :wink:
It´s a bit sad that we need to say this over and over again. You am okay, I am okay. Damnit, it JUST FRICKING VIDEO GAMES!
The problem is that most people who post on video game messageboards have either been flamed repeatedly for stating their opinions, or they've seen others flamed repeatedly, to the point where they are scared sometimes to say what they really think, with conviction. Hence all the stupid smilies, imo, imho, etc...

I mean for fuck's sake OF COURSE people will use whatever they prefer, it's not like we'll send them to concentration camps if they don't follow our advice.
Besides, the point of this discussion wasn't to determine what is the right preference, it was to discuss whether one is better objectively. That's a valid discussion.

EDIT: I mean, it was originally about preference, but obviously it ventured into "is one really better than the other?" territory.
I got mad gigabytes.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Update:

A month and a half since my last post, and my original thoughts on this preference have been realized. At this point, I cannot imagine going back to a pad to play shmups. I play better, and I have more fun doing it. Not saying it would work like that for everybody, but I have a feeling there are many people here that have written off sticks because they don't feel right at first. Given some practice, I think most people would ultimately enjoy a stick. It's just like using a steering wheel vs a d-pad for a racing game; shmups just rock with a good stick.
I got mad gigabytes.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Icarus wrote:Image

Weapons of choice.
Why haven't you taken the factory wrap off your HRAP's faceplate? Granted, you need a craft knife to cut it lightly around the buttons, but it is supposed to be taken off.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Daigohji wrote:How come you haven't taken the factory wrap off your HRAP's faceplate? Granted, you need a craft knife to cut it lightly around the buttons, but it is supposed to be taken off.
Because I can't be arsed.
Is that a problem? ;P
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

Nothings changed for me. I still prefer pads for Border Down, Mars Matrix et al; but prefer sticks for Tempest 2000 or twitch based games like Section Z...
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

Ah good to see this thread, i am kinda looking for a arcade stick to hook up to my ps2 however there is alot of choise so im having a hard time choosing.

Mind if i post a few examples?

I'm leaning towards the last one wich seems to look the most realistic but it is also the most expensive of the lot.
(E-bay)
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

icy, you're doing EXACTLY what you did on the RLLMUK thread regarding the very same subject - you threw your weight about in exactly the same way, (albeit with other misinformed stuff about monitor sizes) and everyone ignored you then as well.

chill out, you're making yourself look silly.
futurebiblehero

Post by futurebiblehero »

In regards to the suggestion: I don't know much about the T4 stick, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend any of those. If you're looking for a decent budget stick, the Tekken 5 Anniversary edition is pretty cheap if you can still find it. I got the game and the stick for less than $30.

You'll likely want to get a better one later on, but it's definitely a solid choice for a first.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Ahh...this was a fun topic.

Still going with pads, but I really need to find a substitute for the PS2's broken cross pad.

I plan on buying a stick too, eventually. Where can I find a HRAP?
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

futurebiblehero wrote:In regards to the suggestion: I don't know much about the T4 stick, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend any of those. If you're looking for a decent budget stick, the Tekken 5 Anniversary edition is pretty cheap if you can still find it. I got the game and the stick for less than $30.

You'll likely want to get a better one later on, but it's definitely a solid choice for a first.
Thanks, i'l keep an eye out.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Pirate1019 wrote:I plan on buying a stick too, eventually. Where can I find a HRAP?
About 2 months ago there was a seller on ebay with a bunch of them. Monk-O-Nuggets and I both got one for $81 shipped, it was brand new still in the box. They were asking for $80 + $16 shipping, but we did a "Best Offer" of $65 and they bit.

Just keep your eyes peeled, you'll find one eventually. I just recently modded mine with Sanwa buttons and I LOVE it. Although, I have to say, the stock buttons really weren't bad at all.
I got mad gigabytes.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Atamosk wrote: Image
Geez, I can't believe this thing is not a joke :lol:
Get a HORI RAP and live happy playing shmups with a stick, but with a good one...
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

"Still going with pads, but I really need to find a substitute for the PS2's broken cross pad."

I feel the same way about the PS DualShock2 controller cross... might I recommend the Logitech Action cotroller? For me it was the best decision I made: ultra precise and accurate (Unlike the mushy DS2 cross). Its very sensitive,so its a little strange at first but, when you quickly get past that its IMPOSSIBLE to use the PS2 cross again. Still cheap too! - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009P ... 33-4539258
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

LUNardei wrote:
Atamosk wrote: Geez, I can't believe this thing is not a joke :lol:
Get a HORI RAP and live happy playing shmups with a stick, but with a good one...
Yeah i had a good laugh when i found it on ebay and couldent leave it out :)

Tough a hori real arcade pro stick seems "really"atractive im not looking forward to paying 50 euro just to "try" if i like it. (PS3 version is 60Euro in stores even.)

Might give the PS3 fighting stick a try (looks darn godly :o) since i can just get it in the store ( with a two week return policy even) but for that i would have to know if its compatible with the PS2 aswell.

Here is an image of the PS3 version
Developed by SEGA and produced by hori:

RAP version, sadly not seen it in any stores yet.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Carmen wrote:"Still going with pads, but I really need to find a substitute for the PS2's broken cross pad."

I feel the same way about the PS DualShock2 controller cross... might I recommend the Logitech Action cotroller? For me it was the best decision I made: ultra precise and accurate (Unlike the mushy DS2 cross). Its very sensitive,so its a little strange at first but, when you quickly get past that its IMPOSSIBLE to use the PS2 cross again. Still cheap too! - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009P ... 33-4539258
I have the USB version of that. the only problem with it is the analog sticks. Instead of rotating in a circle like regular PS2-esque pads, they have a square border so it's really easy to press in diagonal directions, but almost impossible to press in the compass directions.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

ktownhero wrote:Progress update on getting used to the stick in Ikaruga: I will never go back to a pad as long as I have a choice.
I'm the opposite actually. I got a 29.5 million ALL (NO MISS) in Ikaruga Normal mode with the gamecube pad on a 19" TV in Yoko mode. I've played it with a stick and I just can't play the damn game worth a shit with a stick. I need a pad for this. I'm not alone, CVM got 34+ million with a pad (the DC pad) in Ikaruga Normal, which is very close to the WR. A guy in Australia named lpm got 35mil with a pad as well, he holds the Western WR for the game, and his is one of the top 3 scores in the entire world.

Just FYI.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Hm, for me stick good for Cave game, but in Cho Ren Sha 68k stick suck, no, i mean - SUCK.
Just too sensitive :cry:
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

I always use a control pad with a hi hat and a souped up tempo unless I'm playing a game in MAME. Sticks cause me to not be good at things.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

TWE wrote:
ktownhero wrote:Progress update on getting used to the stick in Ikaruga: I will never go back to a pad as long as I have a choice.
I'm the opposite actually. I got a 29.5 million ALL (NO MISS) in Ikaruga Normal mode with the gamecube pad on a 19" TV in Yoko mode. I've played it with a stick and I just can't play the damn game worth a shit with a stick. I need a pad for this. I'm not alone, CVM got 34+ million with a pad (the DC pad) in Ikaruga Normal, which is very close to the WR. A guy in Australia named lpm got 35mil with a pad as well, he holds the Western WR for the game, and his is one of the top 3 scores in the entire world.

Just FYI.
Thats cool, mate!
Congrats on the score :D
GCN pad is tough to use - for super ninjas!
Good to see some love for the d-pad and good scores coming about!
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

What are these pads and sticks everyone's rambling on about?
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have a question for all you guys. I was going to start a new thread, but this seems like a good place for it as any.

I have been playing with a Logitech Rumblepad on MAME to play shooters. It lets me use the analog stick on all the games, which I find I am MUCH better with, than the PS2s pad.

Are there any controllers that will allow me to use the stick on old digital only games on PS2, like I am doing with MAME?

s/m
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It lets me use the analog stick on all the games
now that's blasphemy...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:
now that's blasphemy...
Hey, it feels good to me! Seriously though, I really like using it on the overhead shooters. I can weave about much better than with the pad. Sucks on the sidescrollers though(i'll stick to the pad on that one).

s/m
sfried

Post by sfried »

Are there, by any chance, good GameCube sticks out there aside from the Hori Soul Calibur ones?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

keyboard
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Keyboard is actually underrated at times; I've been using arrow keys for diagonals for a long time and it works pretty well. It's not perfect and there can be extra movement, of course.

Right now I'm wishing I had a stick of some sort, though, as I've got a laptop and it's sitting on a table (carpal tunnel causing shit).

I'm thinking I'll have to get a USB pad for games, mainly console titles (NES/SNES).

The main reasons I haven't gotten a proper joystick are that I'd end up balancing it on my leg, and good ones aren't cheap.
VorpalEdge

Post by VorpalEdge »

The obvious best method is to trap a gaming prodigy in the basement and make him get world records (and sign your name on the high score table!) for food. Sticks, pads, keyboards - you all are so unimaginative.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
now that's blasphemy...
Hey, it feels good to me! Seriously though, I really like using it on the overhead shooters. I can weave about much better than with the pad. Sucks on the sidescrollers though(i'll stick to the pad on that one).

s/m
Actually, when I didn't have a proper stick, the Dualshock analog stick was a fair option when playing DIGITAL controlled games.

It was better than it's shitty pad.
Last edited by Shatterhand on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Shatterhand wrote:It was better than it's shitty pad.
I always get the feeling that that broken cross was never intended for use in actual gameplay. Just for scrolling through menus and whatnot.