Screen size help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lawnspic

Screen size help

Post by lawnspic »

Ok, i never ever really cared about tate mode until just recent. I have a Sony 36" standard CRT HD-TV. I run all my games yoko for obvious reasons, 260lb. TV anyone? Anyway i noticed that when in tate it uses the entire screen, duh. Only thing is that now i think even though my TV is good size the smaller yoko image is just not enough. Would i get more screen size (playable area) if i use a 27" TV rotated? Im thinking of getting a cheap one just for that purpose.
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
nZero

Post by nZero »

Let's see... with a 4:3 television tube...

28^2 + 21^2 = 35^2 approximately. So your current letterboxed viewing area is approximately 21 inches high. On a TV of that width, screen size would be... 21^2 + 15.75^2 = 26.25^2, so the viewing area would be approximately equivalent.

tate has more advantages than just viewing area, though... especially in ports of sprite-based 2D games. If the picture quality on the 27" is decent, why not go for it. Although, a lot of people here seem to swear by smaller RGB monitors (or VGA monitors paired with an upscaler) for their dedicated tate rig.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

Good info, i dont think i could downsize to a smaller RGB monitor or VGA, im to used to the 36". Also would RGB give you a better picture then lets say component video in 480i?

Also what are the size of these monitors used inthe cabs for UD

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/uploads/ ... i-01.p.jpg

As a note i would kill for that cab setup with UD, does anyone have an idea what sticks are used in those cabs?
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
nZero

Post by nZero »

lawnspic wrote:Also would RGB give you a better picture then lets say component video in 480i?
Marginally. Which consoles are you planning on using with your setup?
lawnspic wrote:Also what are the size of these monitors used inthe cabs for UD
29" I believe.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

lawnspic wrote: As a note i would kill for that cab setup with UD, does anyone have an idea what sticks are used in those cabs?
The monitors in the Naomi cabs are 29", the sticks in mine are Seimitsu LS33s though I'm not sure if they still use them for the newer Net city cabs.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Just a note.

Those are 29" monitors. They are 27" viewable. If you're trying to find equivalent tubes/monitors of that size in the US, they will most likely be listed as 27"