Ketsui

Kiel

Post by Kiel »

GaijinPunch wrote: Uhhh... you beat mine by quite a bit.
You've got 58 mil, I've only gotten 54 mil.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

oops. :)
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

GaijinPunch wrote:that damn 5th stage is just too out-of-hand.
that's what i thought at first but it's not that horrible with practice, except for a few specific parts :
-the second big tank after the mid-boss: not hard by itself, but the spam it shells out plus that of small tanks make it hard to place correctly for the wave of 6 triangle planes.
-the second pattern of the big plane in the downward section. the first is ok if you don't use lock-on, but the second one is vicious, because the blue and red patterns cross late (near the bottom of the screen)
- (not that vicious if you do a V with normal shot, but easy to fuck up) the tanks that come from the bottom + waves of small planes
- the heli rush toward the end
all this parts are after the mid-boss.

the last boss is quite fair, the last pattern is fair but still very hard because of it's speed.
japtor

Post by japtor »

damn you chtimi. id stick ketsui back in if i werent so bad at doj still. had a nice run a few days ago...until my family made me go out with them, bastards. hopefully i can get a respectable score there soon so i can go back to ketsui and reclaim my king of the scrubs throne.
i can't figure out the score on the replay (low quality)
i just checked it out, pre bonus he gets 14 million (you can see the 4 right when the background turns white), then gets around a 4 million bonus, so somewhere in the 18-19 million range. iirc i was getting around the same as you, i think my highest mightve been 14 or 15, maybe 16, but its been a while. either way im pretty sure my best runs rarely come on the ones where i do extra well on the first level.

and yeah 5 is a bitch. to this day im still confused how i 1 lifed nearly all of 5 on a mess around run, getting ~60-70 mil in the process...and then doing it on two different occasions. also annoyed i didnt get the 1cc on my high score run...iirc i was on the last form of the boss and was a few seconds away...its ikaruga all over again (died with 3 seconds left).
gionmatsuli

Post by gionmatsuli »

Hello, I 'm new to this forum. This is my score to Ketsui ( best cave I've ever played):

67,951,985 /stage1-4/ Type A
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

'core un ch'ti? pi arvett' me sin score, po mal pour du stache 4 ti'zaut!
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

chtimi wrote:btw venom and kaneda, what's your typical stage 1 score?
My average is around 13.5 for the first stage. I think my scoring for the stage itself is pretty solid, but I ignore any sort of milking from the boss. In comparison to what you make in later stages, I figure the few million to be squeezed here isn't too important yet.
Venom

Post by Venom »

I think my best was around 16.5-17, typical 15 or so. Had a glitch once that gave me 1000 boxes from nowhere on the boss, but I didn't count that as a real score.
Fascination...
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i'm asking this because if you watch the super replay, the player takes care of only using his normal shot on small enemies (which only give 1 cube even with laser) before the mid-boss.
this way his enemy multiplier is around 700/800 at the mid-boss (mine is about 300 i think). but since the score is blurry, i was wondering if it was worth the effort in placement and fire control.
venom, i guess you do this, and NTSC-J you don't, right ?
also, i get a bit under 2000 cubes at the end (the replay player succeeds in milking all parts for 5's and gets 3000, i can only milk one, maybe 2, before all parts disappear).
aesthetik

Post by aesthetik »

Do you know where I can find the replay vid? -- Thanks!
Venom

Post by Venom »

Chtimi - Yeah, I did it that way. More points in the end with the higher multiplier for the higher value enemies.
Fascination...
russ

Post by russ »

russ - 47,545,185 - 1-4 - Panzer Jager

I don't see how anyone can use the Tiger Schwert... it's an evil ship...
"No beer until you've finished your tequila!"
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

slightly better, i beat the mid-boss this time.
ch'timi - 78,212,369 - 1-5 - Panzer Jager
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Please read my post over on the click-stick bbs thread for some information on scoring. I have gotten 2760 at the end of Stage 1 with a score of 18.5 ( I think ).

The player gets a multiplyer of 669 before the mid-boss. I have gotten 691 as my highest. Anywhere around 660+ and you are doing great.

My goal is to kill DOOM, right now I am working on cleaning up Level 2 and Level 3.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

i read it, good post valgar. i had noticed the multiple explosions on some enemies but i didn't know it was more general than that. i will try your 1st boss milking advice too.
i still think proximity has some effect on your laser power, and i'm taking into account the faster locks. i could be wrong though, you don't have too much time staring at the boss life meter.
you seem to know your shit about ketsui, what's your record out of curiosity?
you think you can beat doom? doesn't that require beating the special 2nd loop, that's one hell of a challenge and doom is as horrible as hibachi.

made it to the last boss (about half meter) :
ch'timi - 84,189,864 - 1-5 - Panzer Jager
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Hi,

Yes it is good to get in the habit of just holding down the Lock-shot if possible. You can clearly see this in the superplay video as well as the "trick" of getting a 5 box but obtaining the extra lock-shot boxes on enemies.

I bought a Ketsui kit about about a year after its release but did not give it much time since I moved back to Ikaruga so I could increase my score. I just got an Astro City Cabinet and put Ketsui in it, and now will give it the time it deserves.

Honestly I have never seen the 4th boss, everything I have learned has been within the last several weeks.

Yes for DOOM you need to get to the second special loop (requirments are no deaths/no bombs and 120 million). I have watched the videos a little and it appears in the Second special loop that you only get 1 boxes and that whenever an enemy would normally drop boxes, it launches blue suicide bullets instead (sorta like Ikaruga)!!! This means you spend a lot of time using your normal shot and saving the multiplyer for big enemies. I speculate that the Ship A would be easier for the second loop because of its spread, however the slow speed could hinder it as well. I am playing the Ship B.

I am curious as to what the normal loop is like, I think Seven Force once said that you only get 5 boxes?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Chtimi: I believe your laser is stronger the closer you are b/c you're hitting your target more technically. THink of the physics. Also, the closer you are, the less crap gets in the way, so you can devote more of your laser to one enemy.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I think the laser does poor damage itself, the Lock-shots are what do the real damage. I have tested the damage and I just can't see any difference in distance. I think for further proof, the player in the superplay never spends anytime up close next to a boss other to get his lock-shots to quickly lock-on or go for a 5 box.

What do you guys think he is trying to do to the second mid-boss? Maybe he is trying the "trick" but messes it up and decides not to?

Can someone translate what it is saying on the CAVE site under the first link in the Ketsui menu for scoring? There are the 4 pictures.
J2d

Post by J2d »

Valgar wrote:What do you guys think he is trying to do to the second mid-boss? Maybe he is trying the "trick" but messes it up and decides not to?
What do you mean, isn't he just trying to kill it off in the right position in order to get the maximum amount of popcorn enemies to appear?
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Valgar wrote:I just got an Astro City Cabinet and put Ketsui in it
It's a fantastic set up!
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

J2d wrote:
Valgar wrote:What do you guys think he is trying to do to the second mid-boss? Maybe he is trying the "trick" but messes it up and decides not to?
What do you mean, isn't he just trying to kill it off in the right position in order to get the maximum amount of popcorn enemies to appear?
I thought the amount of popcorn enemies depended on how much time is left after you kill the mid-boss.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

Valgar wrote: What do you guys think he is trying to do to the second mid-boss? Maybe he is trying the "trick" but messes it up and decides not to?
i think i know that one. the number of zako depends on how fast you kill the mid-boss, so you don't want to lose time locking the front part THEN the back part. instead, he directly locks the back part (the shot are intercepted by the front part when it's alive), so that he only has to lock once.
GaijinPunch wrote: Chtimi: I believe your laser is stronger the closer you are b/c you're hitting your target more technically. THink of the physics.
that's what i was talking about. it's still an intrinsic effect, unlike this :
GaijinPunch wrote: Also, the closer you are, the less crap gets in the way, so you can devote more of your laser to one enemy.
the proximity effect we're talking about can only happen if the laser isn't continuous, but made of small subunits (maybe that's the case despite the looks).
J2d

Post by J2d »

Valgar wrote:I thought the amount of popcorn enemies depended on how much time is left after you kill the mid-boss.
I don't think that's the case on that particular midboss, the position of the boss seems like the important factor. If it was time based he wouldn't have stopped shooting just as it was nearly dead and waiting for it to come up to the spot where it changes direction (we got the same B-Type 375 mil replay right?).
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

chtimi wrote:
i think i know that one. the number of zako depends on how fast you kill the mid-boss, so you don't want to lose time locking the front part THEN the back part. instead, he directly locks the back part (the shot are intercepted by the front part when it's alive), so that he only has to lock once.
Right, but I am talking about what J2d mentioned. He stops attacking the boss all together for a moment.
J2d wrote: I don't think that's the case on that particular midboss, the position of the boss seems like the important factor. If it was time based he wouldn't have stopped shooting just as it was nearly dead and waiting for it to come up to the spot where it changes direction (we got the same B-Type 375 mil replay right?).
Same replay, yes. I will try this out then.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - 37,618,180 - 1-3 - Panzer Jager
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Best gaming moment ever: I got some new roommates and they were curious about my arcade games, so I pop in Ketsui and on my first try I completely obliterate the game, not losing a life until about a third of the way into stage 5, and reaching the last boss with 4 lives in stock (4!!!!). So naturally I cleared it. They think I'm God now, especially after seeing some of the dodges I was doing in that section where you descend in stage 5: I went through almost that whole half of the level without a bomb or death! I threw myself into bullet storms with reckless abandon yet I made it through unharmed, it was the video game equivalent of parting the sea.

Ketsui fuckin rules!!
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

NTSC-J wrote:Best gaming moment ever: I got some new roommates and they were curious about my arcade games, so I pop in Ketsui and on my first try I completely obliterate the game, not losing a life until about a third of the way into stage 5, and reaching the last boss with 4 lives in stock (4!!!!). So naturally I cleared it. They think I'm God now, especially after seeing some of the dodges I was doing in that section where you descend in stage 5: I went through almost that whole half of the level without a bomb or death! I threw myself into bullet storms with reckless abandon yet I made it through unharmed, it was the video game equivalent of parting the sea.

Ketsui fuckin rules!!
awesome! now where's the new high score?
russ

Post by russ »

Gah, slaved over this game for hours today - though I think I finally have everything down to second nature in Stage 2, and can constantly get a counter of ~2600 by the time I reach the boss. Stage 3 is still giving me troubles, pretty much just with the midboss. I can handle the large battleship by itself, but micromanaging the other smaller battleships and popcorn enemies that appear is a pain in the ass, and I'm usually screwed out of the 1-up. No more problems on Stage 3 boss either - just still need to work on it's first set of patterns and I should be fine.

Naturally, I still get raped in Stage 4. I bombed the shit out of the midboss, worried I'd screw myself over and lose a potential high score opportunity - I'll learn its tricks soon enough, though. This is the first stage where the non-boss parts of the stage really give me trouble. I pretty much need to work on navigating bullet swarms, and memorizing enemy locations. Overall, I managed to top my last score by 3 mil, making it all the way to the boss of Stage 4.

I was so excited when I finally topped it, so I took me a picture! :P
russ - 50,689,132 - 1-4 - Panzer Jager

And congrats on your ass-kicking, NTSC-J, with a good portion of time and effort I'll be working my way up there too :wink:
"No beer until you've finished your tequila!"
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - 59,379,891 - 1-4 - Panzer Jager

Stupid death in 1-2, and I missed the 3rd stage 1up; but I only died once on all of stage 3 at the boss' last pattern.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

great improvement Zakk.

nice to see some steady input here. i haven't had the time to sit back down with this one lately, but i better get to work before i get knocked off the scoreboard.