Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
boagman

Post by boagman »

I'm not entirely sure if I can come yet. I currently am on the mend from some Pink Eye, and I don't know if I'll be recovered enough to make it there without risking contagion of it to others. It'll probably be gone by then, though.

Is there *anyone* going that *might* know someone in the Detroit area who can help me update my PSP to new custom firmware and emulation? I'm *dying* to unlock my machine's potential, and want *very badly* to play my Goku Makai-mura Kai import, only with my PSP the way it is now, I can't.

Any help available would be appreciated.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Dale wrote:Andy and me might come. He wants to know if Brawl will be played?
You better believe it. I don't know if everyone will want to play, but I'm sure we could set a TV aside for the Brawl folks like we did last time for Guilty Gear/Melty Blood so we can still play shooters.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

I will bring my PlayStation 3.
Is there interest for Xbox 360? I can bring that if their is demand.
Is there anything else fellows may like to see as in games or console?

I look forward to play SSBB as well as shooting games :wink:

For boagman, I hope you are feeling better… I will be bringing my Turbo Express for you to experience if you are able to make it :D I am not exactly sure how to do the firmware hack for PSP but I have heard that Lumines might be needed and I can offer my game if necessary…

For ubersaurus, PLEASE bring Nexzr: Summer Carnival '93 — I hope to record a score for submission.

Current roster as of March 26, 2008:

Ayanami
Sonic R
ubersaurus
Davey
kccttzj
zero.otaku
Tempest

and possible;
Dale
Andy Lee
boagman

The time is soon for our gathering!
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Dang it...I want to be there, but I am currently displaced and living underneath a viaduct (lol).

I'm in the midst of moving and everything I own is in boxes...however I'm still thinking of coming...if nothing else to play Ubersaurus in some rip-off.

Don't count me out.
________

BTW...Boagman, is Craig working out? If he isn't, let me know and I'll have to body slam him into the concrete...hahaha. Hope your business is going well.
Fight Like A Robot!
Dale

Post by Dale »

If you need a ride Kinn me and Andy could pick you up if we go.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

For ROBOTRON, we hope you can join us! :D
What area are you moving to?

Current Roster as of march 27, 2008:

Ayanami
Sonic R
ubersaurus
Davey
kccttzj
zero.otaku
Tempest

and possible;
Dale
Andy Lee
boagman
ROBOTRON
Davey

Post by Davey »

Are any of you guys VOOT players? I just thought about that since you're talking about fighting games and undamned posted those VOOT videos recently (I kinda forgot about VOOT until then, actually). If anybody's interested I could bring my twinsticks (one DC pair, one Saturn pair with a DC converter).
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Tekken and 3rd Strike mainly. I suck at Virtua On.

Hope your feeling better boagman. Hope ya guys can make it out.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sonic R just make sure to bring the game I lent you.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote:Are any of you guys VOOT players? I just thought about that since you're talking about fighting games and undamned posted those VOOT videos recently (I kinda forgot about VOOT until then, actually). If anybody's interested I could bring my twinsticks (one DC pair, one Saturn pair with a DC converter).
I would like to try Virtua On with Twin Sticks… I have play the Saturn version with control pad and it actually work out ok but Twin Sticks is something I try to get for myself down the line…
Dale wrote:Sonic R just make sure to bring the game I lent you.
Will do… be sure to bring Under Defeat :wink:

Current Roster (as of March 28, 2008) —

Ayanami
Sonic R
ubersaurus
Davey
kccttzj
zero.otaku
Tempest
Dale
Andy Lee

and possible;
boagman
ROBOTRON

Will be seeing everyone tomorrow! :D
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sonic R wrote:I would like to try Virtua On with Twin Sticks… I have play the Saturn version with control pad and it actually work out ok but Twin Sticks is something I try to get for myself down the line…
I'll bring both pairs of sticks then. If we don't have time to use them, no big deal.

To be honest I haven't played a whole lot of the Saturn version. I started off with VOOT and then picked up VOOM for Saturn afterwards, but I never got into it as much. IIRC VOOM is slower and more strategic, which isn't necessarily bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting after playing VOOT first.

Also, I think I remember reading that VOOM is better suited for a control pad than VOOT, but I don't remember why.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Oh I'm sorry I guess I should say that I can only come if Robo comes. I really really want to come though I hope I can make it.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Unfortunately, while my Pink Eye has pretty much cleared up, I'm still dealing with a sinus infection that appears to be on the wane, but, in an absolute first for me, is *actually visible on my face*. I have never, *ever* seen my sinuses actually cause my face to swell before, and while I'm certainly doing better as I write this than I was last night at this time, I'm still not up to the Shmupmeet, and I positively *don't* want to give this to anyone else.

Believe me: it's not that I don't want to come...I could *really* use a Pulstar and Summer Carnival (!!!!) fix again. ;) Plus, seeing you folks again is always a great pleasure. I hope that I can join one of your mini-meets sometime soon. Thank you so much, once again, for extending your hospitality my way. I always feel welcome, and I've always enjoyed myself on previous visits.

Have lots of fun without me!
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Dale wrote:Oh I'm sorry I guess I should say that I can only come if Robo comes. I really really want to come though I hope I can make it.
Dale I got your call yesterday late. PM was sent also...didn't want to call your house at odd hour.

I was out trying to take of last minute housing stuff I told u about. I will be at it again Saturday. This is more important right now so if I were you I would arrange other transportation because If I make the meet, I will be getting there late.

Sorry about your illness Boagman, feel better.
Fight Like A Robot!
Dale

Post by Dale »

I don't think Robo's gonna make it. If their is anyone who is willing to drive to the Sterling Heights area to pick me and Andy up to come, that would be great. I'll pay for gas and then some if anyones willing to come.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Dale wrote:I don't think Robo's gonna make it. If their is anyone who is willing to drive to the Sterling Heights area to pick me and Andy up to come, that would be great. I'll pay for gas and then some if anyones willing to come.
Its 6:19pm...I'm just getting done with my business. By the time I get ready to leave it'll 7pm or later...In other words I'm gonna sit this one out. I'm pissed about missing this one, but its my own fault.

Can't wait to hear how it went.
Fight Like A Robot!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

ROBOTRON wrote:
Dale wrote:I don't think Robo's gonna make it. If their is anyone who is willing to drive to the Sterling Heights area to pick me and Andy up to come, that would be great. I'll pay for gas and then some if anyones willing to come.
Its 6:19pm...I'm just getting done with my business. By the time I get ready to leave it'll 7pm or later...In other words I'm gonna sit this one out. I'm pissed about missing this one, but its my own fault.

Can't wait to hear how it went.
That ain't so bad...it ain't starting til 6!
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Good shit folks, that was a lot of fun!

Games played included:
Dreamcast:
Radirgy
Gunbird 2
Zero Gunner 2?

Playstation 2:
Heavenly Guardian
Dragon Blaze
DDP Daioujo?

Saturn:
Battle Garegga
Hyper Duel
Blast Wind

Famicom:
Over Horizon
SMB3
Castlevania 3
Crisis Force

Vectrex:
Rip Off
Space Wars
Fortress of Narzod
Star Castle
Minestorm
Spike
Clean Sweep

Wii:
Geometry Wars Galaxies

PS3:
Everyday Shooter

MAME
Dangun Feveron
Rayforce
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Thanks to every one who came, sorry to hear some of you could not make it this time around but that's cool, we will do another one sooner than later I imagine.

Good times.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

It was really fun, thanks everyone for coming out and thanks Ayanami once again for hosting. The setup this time was really cool - vertically-oriented monitors and arcade sticks everywhere! It was almost like being at HEY! or something ;) It was also awesome because I broke my high score in Dragon Blaze at this wondrous event =) Hopefully we'll see you no-shows next time.

btw - someone needs to bring a digital camera 'cause we need to post more pics from these. You know, for posterity and everything.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Indeed, we need pics or it didn't happen. Thanks again to Ayanami for hosting.

I would suggest that in the next couple of weeks we start planning for the next one (One would assume that would be Summer '08) in order to A. Give people enough time to clear their schedules for that day/coordinate transportation and B. Give Ayanami or whoever else might be hosting enough time to set up. I'm not suggesting we do any planning like now, but just a heads up so we don't have any frantic posting the week/day of.

Also, anyone who missed out and can't wait more than a few months to see our smiling faces, remember that Sonic R usually has a smaller gathering at his place maybe twice a month (Usually frequented by myself, Ayanami, zero.otaku and kccttzj) So if you want to be a part of that, let Sonic R know so he can contact you next time we get together.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

...aaaah crap!

'Was doin' the Wisconsin thing...
:(

sorry for not noticing things.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Do my eyes deceive me or have you won yet another World's Greatest shmuper tourny?

Any who, when ever you guys want to do another one, just post here. I am free pretty much whenever.

Zero Otaku - Fuck Dragon Blaze, you can have that game bro. I am not touching it for now. I think I will stick to Garegga untill I can get a letter score or clear.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'd be down to do another one sometime soon. So many fine games to throw down in.

Also, since I mentioned Garegga is too pricey for me, I doublechecked...100 bucks on ebay :O
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I got mine for $80.

Worth every penny to me, but I am going to be putting in over 100 hours in this game for sure.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Tempest wrote:Also, anyone who missed out and can't wait more than a few months to see our smiling faces, remember that Sonic R usually has a smaller gathering at his place maybe twice a month (Usually frequented by myself, Ayanami, zero.otaku and kccttzj) So if you want to be a part of that, let Sonic R know so he can contact you next time we get together.
All are most welcome to come by for fellowship and games playing :D

Thanks to all who made it out and regrets to those who had other commitments — we will see you next!

Thanks to Ayanami ONCE AGAIN for his hospitality and inviting us to his home!

Thanks to ubersaurus for the nightly recap a few posts above. A great summary of the nights events.

Congrats to DJI on the back to back!

Now is as good a time as any for prepreation for the Summer Carnival 2008!
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

I got mine for $80.

Worth every penny to me, but I am going to be putting in over 100 hours in this game for sure.
Going to be? Heh. But I agree, it's well worth it considering the game was going for a hundred bucks even three years ago and we all know which direction the prices for anything even remotely Saturn- or STG-related have been heading lately.
Zero Otaku - Fuck Dragon Blaze, you can have that game bro. I am not touching it for now. I think I will stick to Garegga untill I can get a letter score or clear.
Haha, I haven't played it at all since Saturday, kinda taking a break from STGs in general right now and focusing on some other stuff. BTW, nice Garegga scores.

Was doin' the Wisconsin thing...
Sad

sorry for not noticing things.
It's not like we're adequate company for such a VIP as yourself anymore, so no worries ;) Catch you on the red carpet, mate.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

As Ayanami already know, I got something new this weekend.

This summer(hopefully) we will be enjoying some premium shooting games and now we can enjoy 1 ( :lol: ) anyways.
TATE tv is supported too…
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I snagged a couple new genesis shooties in Ann Arbor over the weekend. If anyone wants to give Steel Empire and Sol-Deace a whirl(and doesn't already own it!) next time I'm down to bring them.

Hell, maybe I'll bring the whole hellish Genesis/32X/Sega CD combo, for full effect.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Sonic R wrote:…I got something new this weekend.
So anyways with out further ado,
I secured a Japanese Xbox 360 as well as Raiden Fighters Aces.

soon, I plan to obtain Ketsui and DoDonPachi DOJ Black…

ubersaurus wrote:…Sol-Deace
It has been well over 15 years since I last play the cartridge version of Sol-Deace… I found it a pretty cool game but sold my cartridge when I got my Sega CD back in 1992…