Help! I think my RGB monitor just died

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Savory

Help! I think my RGB monitor just died

Post by Savory »

Tragedy! I turned on my Sony PVM-1910 last night, heard some popping sounds and then the smell of burning...something. No smoke or anything, just the smell. It still powers on, but there's no picture.

I have no idea what happened. It's pretty much left in permanent tate and has been fine for months. Is it pretty much dead? Should I take it to a TV repair shop? Even if I opened it up I don't know what to look for.

:(
D

Re: Help! I think my RGB monitor just died

Post by D »

Savory wrote:Tragedy! I turned on my Sony PVM-1910 last night, heard some popping sounds and then the smell of burning...something. No smoke or anything, just the smell. It still powers on, but there's no picture.

I have no idea what happened. It's pretty much left in permanent tate and has been fine for months. Is it pretty much dead? Should I take it to a TV repair shop? Even if I opened it up I don't know what to look for.

:(
Obviously when you open it up is to look for where the smoke came from. Smoke means burned plastic, your senses should be able to determine where it came from.
But do be careful of electric shocks, pull the plug at all times. But, even when it is unplugged huge voltage remain on the tube in some places.
You can gently take the back cover off, but don't go putting your hands in alot of places. Use tools with rubber handle when you are doing anything. Most sets have a tray table with the main pcb which can be slid (slide) out.
Hopefully all you need to replace is a fuse, but your description sounds nasty. Maybe because you tated it some wire was hanging in an inproper way causing some short circuit somewhere. So you didn't do anything like change your setup right? I think if you had you would've told us. Perhaps somebody with the same set can help out.
Does your neighbourhood have high voltage peaks (at night?)
I now pass the mic to somebody with more knowledge.

Good luck, be f@cking careful.
Savory

Post by Savory »

I think I'm too nervous to open it up. Last thing I want to do is electrocute myself over a video game. :lol: There wasn't actually any smoke, just the smell which was somewhere between the scent burning/melting plastic and electricity.

No power surges that I know of, but I live in a very old building so who knows what could have happened. I didn't do anything differently that I can think of. It was already rotated and I just plugged it in and turned it on.

I guess I'll shop around for a TV repair place and hope it's not too expensive to fix. :|

edit: I forgot it was plugged into a surge protector so a power surge is probably unlikely.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Popping and then weird smells? Same thing happened when a capacitor in my Dreamcast's power supply blew up. Also similar symptoms - the orange light comes on, but nothing else happens. There could well be more damage, though.
弾もまたいで通る
rtw

Post by rtw »

Savory wrote:I think I'm too nervous to open it up. Last thing I want to do is electrocute myself over a video game. :lol: There wasn't actually any smoke, just the smell which was somewhere between the scent burning/melting plastic and electricity
First of all remove the back of the monitor. Power it up, look inside do you see a soft orange glow at the end of the tube ? Do you hear a "crackling" sound when the monitor powers up ? I.e. the high voltage starting ?

If there is no glow, your high voltage flyback is burned out. Should be an easy fix. If there is no crack on your line transformer look underneath on the PCB to determine if there are any bad solder points. Putting a monitor in TATE mode will move the line transormer into an angle it was not really meant for. I.e. air will not flow as freely and the weight of the flyback will cause stress on the PCB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_transformer

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work