Is it possible to display a VGA signal on an RGB Monitor?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

I've asked a couple of people and I got mixed answers.

This is what I want to do:

I have a Standard Resolution 36" Arcade Monitor. It's currently displaying the Sega Dreamcast in 15khz standard resolution. Looks real nice but the games I want to play on it should be running in VGA mode. So, when I look at the monitor I want it to look like VGA.

Someone the XRGB, can anyone confirm that this works?

Is there a device I can use to make my Standard Resolution monitor output VGA, and look like VGA with little or no signal degradation.

Thanks

Albert
elvis

Post by elvis »

Unless the monitor chassis explicitly supports 31KHz or higher, then the answer is no.

Buying a new chassis and replacing your existing may work, but do be warned there's some high voltages back there, and you should definitely get the assistance of someone who has done the job before on your first few attempts.
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

elvis wrote:Unless the monitor chassis explicitly supports 31KHz or higher, then the answer is no.

Buying a new chassis and replacing your existing may work, but do be warned there's some high voltages back there, and you should definitely get the assistance of someone who has done the job before on your first few attempts.
I swap monitors/chassis all the time. I just can't find a 36" VGA Arcade Monitor and I'm wondering if my standard res will be able to display it with some sort of device like the XRGB.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

I just built a VGA to RGB Jap 21pin cable for GJP and it works, not sure if this would be the same thing though as i assume the card your is outputting a VGA signal where as GJP card is outputting RGB through an arcade card. It maybe the same and if it is then the answer is yes. Im still a little confused about the difference between the two
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You aren't going to find any better quality picture at 15khz than what the hacked DC VGA box output. Unless the game in question you want to play is non-interlaced at15khz, you may be able to find a 31khz downscan converter that will give you an interlaced 15khz picture that should look very close to 480p. Only problem with this is the appearance of sprite shearing anywhere there is a lot of movement on the screen. Mr Driller G PCB is a perfect example as it can output 15khz in non-interlaced or interlaced modes. The latter looks almost like VGA, but the sprite starts shearing with movment of your man.