Converting to Sanwa stick mounting questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ktownhero

Converting to Sanwa stick mounting questions

Post by ktownhero »

I have a stick I built about 6 years ago for my Dreamcast using Happ Parts, and a wooden box. It turned out extremely well, and still holds up today. It sat in my basement for a few years though, and a couple of the cherry switches on the joystick went bad.

The cherry switches are easy and cheap to replace, but I was never fully satisfied with the stick anyway. The throw is just too much for me. I'd like to now swap it out for a Sanwa stick. Does anybody know if the Sanwa sticks and the Happ sticks have the same mounting dimensions? As in, will I be able to use the holes/bolts I already have drilled out for mounting the Happ also for the Sanwa, or do I need to redrill?
theevilfunkster

Re: Converting to Sanwa stick mounting questions

Post by theevilfunkster »

Sanwa JLW sticks should fit the same holes, with the JLF sticks (a bit nicer than the JLW), you would need to drill new holes. How thick is the wood it's going through? Sanwas are a little shorter than Happs, my JLW through a 12mm control panel is just about right, I wouldn't want it any shorter though.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

You'll also find that the throw isn't significantly different, only the feel of the stick.

For a JLF, you'll probably want to top-mount the stick. Just so you know...
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Damocles wrote:You'll also find that the throw isn't significantly different, only the feel of the stick.

For a JLF, you'll probably want to top-mount the stick. Just so you know...
In that case maybe I'll just swap out the cherry switches for now, and worry about getting the sanwa stuff when I build a whole cab.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Damocles wrote:You'll also find that the throw isn't significantly different, only the feel of the stick.
I have to disagree with you on that. I just got an HRAP, which is my first experience with a Sanwa stick, and I find the feel and throw of the stick to be entirely different than the Happ Ultimate. The throw is definitely shorter, lighter and more precise. I feel much more in control using the Sanwa stick. Very pleased.
I got mad gigabytes.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

ktownhero wrote:
I have to disagree with you on that. I just got an HRAP, which is my first experience with a Sanwa stick, and I find the feel and throw of the stick to be entirely different than the Happ Ultimate. The throw is definitely shorter, lighter and more precise. I feel much more in control using the Sanwa stick. Very pleased.
Actually, both the JLF and the Ultimate have an ~8º throw. The Ultimate doesn't engage as soon, however. ...though is it a RAP with a real Sanwa and not a knockoff? Either way, no, the sticks don't feel anything alike.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

It's a real one. Came fully boxed and brand spankin' new.
I got mad gigabytes.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

but not all RAPs come with real Sanwa parts. only the special edition ones i think. the others are Hori parts.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Daigoro wrote:but not all RAPs come with real Sanwa parts. only the special edition ones i think. the others are Hori parts.
HRAP Version FAQ:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=95713
Shoryuken FAQ wrote: HRAP1 Version B:
- Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y-SK
- Hori Buttons
- Turbo switches
- Uses quick disconnects for the buttons for moderate switching for Sanwa pushbuttons.
- No mirror top
- Button layout is Japanese console stick layout
- Button placement:
L1 [] /\ R1
L2 X O R2
That's the version I have.
I got mad gigabytes.