Official Muchi-Muchi Pork! [Cave 2007] thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Dylan1CC wrote:Could any of you seriously look me in the eye and say you think these characters are as aesthetically pleasing as say, ESPRaDe's or that the art gets you as excited for the game as back when you first saw the epic drawings for Progear? No, I didn't think so.
Yes. I think it looks funny, especially that plastercine pic. This game looks goofy and a whole lot different than anything Cave or anyone else has done with shooters in years. I miss Joker Jun, but so far this looks like creative stuff and I can't wait to see the final product. There are how many shooters with "classical, yet stylish sci-fi" themes? Plenty.

You seriously need to chill out. Hell, you haven't even played the last few games of theirs and won't play this one for who knows how long, so don't worry about it.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

NTSC-J wrote:You seriously need to chill out.
No, I seriously don't since my post was already clarified within the first line:
Whatever the gameplay itself may be aside, I don't like the art style. At all.
And I'm not the only one here who simply doesn't like the promo art.

Oh well, I can always save up for that Ketsui PCB I've been promising myself.
icepick

Post by icepick »

FrederikJurk wrote:(The promo poster looks okay to me, though.)
I noticed that her arm seems kind of odd, perhaps smaller than would be expected. I passed it off, but when looking at the artist's other images, I did notice a common trend. I also thought to myself, well, I can see why Cave might've hired this particular artist.

Hushing now.

(Aside from the risque nature, I do like that top image. Something about the way her face is drawn looks very appealing and fresh.)

PS- that pig model scene was also refreshing, and made me think "I miss stuff like this relating to games!" :D
PPS- I'll see you in court, Mr Dylan!
PPPS- kidding of course. 8)
\\ /\/\ \
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

icepick wrote:PPS- I'll see you in court, Mr Dylan!
PPPS- kidding of course. 8)
lol Oh yeah? I call your bluff. I'm right next door in Fargo. So, set a court date, punk. :P
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Man, the things I would do with an ignore feature...
sven666

Post by sven666 »

NTSC-J wrote:Man, the things I would do with an ignore feature...
look at an empty board? :wink:

the artist seems kinda whack, downs-syndrome-deformed-hentai type chicks.. i think i like it :P
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

icycalm wrote:Apaprently, this dude is the illustrator:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/kawahiko/
the pictures in his portofolio are not going to be in the game, right? nothing against hentai but this is just too sleazy & disturbing to cause me any excitement.
Dylan1CC wrote:Whatever the gameplay itself may be aside, I don't like the art style. At all. Sue me. And I'll talk about the art and slam it as much as I want since Cave used to have some of the best character art and promotional pics of any game company. I miss the Joker Jun days when Cave shmups had a more classical yet stylish sci-fi aesthetic. And however any game plays, shooter or non shooter, visuals/art are a part of the experience.
I agree with you. Ofcourse this promotional stuff may not be reflected in the aesthetics (or lack thereof) in the actual game. Like said ealier, it's a wait and see thing but for me this looks far from appealing.

Dylan1CC wrote:At least Daigohji's picture was funny. This promo pic is just trashy sex cash in. The characters themselves look generic, uninspired and blandly drawn.
Dylan1CC wrote:Regarding gameplay itself, classics like DDP and Feveron didn't need borderline hentai crap to be successful did they? Cave's current promotional method may make them money but it's dull, lazy and lowbrow. Trashy promotional methods can also signal the direction a company is going in if that's what they begin to rely on as Cave seems to be.
I agree with you that they are leaning a bit too heavilly on the hentai money making machine than that I would like them to do. Though it's not really fair to compare it to the promotion strategy from the past as times & societies change (even in Japan). It could very well be that gameplay itself is not enough to draw people to the cabinets for the first time (where they hopefully do get hooked on the gameplay).

I do like the pig picture that's on the frontpage right now and (despite my avertion) I look forward to seeing the game in action.

~eretsua.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I'm excited about the title. The theme seems a little bit out there but I've been dying for Cave to try something brand new (so many sequels recently: DoDonPachi DaiouJou, Ibara, Galuda, and Mushi :/) I hope they do something funky like in Dangun Feveron :P

*waits eagerly for screens*

-Segasonicfan
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

eretsua wrote:

the pictures in his portofolio are not going to be in the game, right? nothing against hentai but this is just too sleazy & disturbing to cause me any excitement.

No, they will all be in there. Every last one of them, together with everything else he has ever drawn since the day he was born.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I have such a good name for my shooter now if I can ever finish it.
"The art director is always listed as the art director in their games. The programmer is always listed as the programmer."
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

Long live the camel toe!!!!111oneeleven
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

English Title for this game

Sexy Pork Princess:Lets ggggggRIND!
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Nullsleep

Post by Nullsleep »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:English Title for this game

LOL!

I have to say -- I can definitely understand the perspective of both of the already-forming camps in regards to this game. On the one hand, yeah, as far as shooters go I definitely appreciate the industrial / sci-fi themed stuff the most and Cave really does this best. On the other hand, this is pretty weird / wild stuff that we're seeing and is something (almost) totally new for Cave (with the exception of maybe Pink Sweets) and that definitely excites me.

In the end, I would rather see them trying new things once in awhile, rather than rehashing the same aesthetic over and over. I think this will be great.

I for one, welcome our new Muchi Muchi overlords!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Cave need to get Yasushi Suzuki on board for at least one project.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

icepick wrote: PS- that pig model scene was also refreshing, and made me think "I miss stuff like this relating to games!" :D
Yeah, it is my favourite part too, because it is totally out of any gaming context. Might as well be something Cave might put for for 1st of April. I like such random humour.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I wonder if it will be like Guwange, except instead of coins, it's food.

If it isn't, I'm going to make a shooting game based on Oprah. She'll get better firepower as she puts away the food, but she'll get fatter and slower.

Instead of a bomb stock, you'll have a bomb guage that slowly fills up as Oprah eats. But Oprah doesn't have bombs. She vomits, instead. As she vomits, she shrinks, getting faster and less powerful. And maybe the rank goes down.
dementia

Post by dementia »

Kiken wrote:Cave need to get Yasushi Suzuki on board for at least one project.
Holy shit yes.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I wonder if this game's "pig" theme purposely coincides with the Chinese lunar calendar. This year is the year of the pig.
CIT

Post by CIT »

twe wrote:I wonder if this game's "pig" theme purposely coincides with the Chinese lunar calendar. This year is the year of the pig.
Preposterous! That would just be too coincidental! :wink:
CIT

Post by CIT »

Re: Kawahiko

http://www1.ttcn.ne.jp/~kawahiko/pic/kawasaki060105.jpg

That picture is so amazing!

What the hell is up with that girl's arms? Is this some kind of Phocomelia fetish!? :lol:

(Mod Edit - changed embedded image to a link on account of possibly-not-safe-for-workness -Ghegs)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

NTSC-J wrote:Man, the things I would do with an ignore feature...
OK, now you need to chill out. I'll at least give you that it's good they are not doing another sequel and trying an all out comical game. And besides, you agreed with my top Saturn picks, so it's all good. ;)
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

CIT wrote:Re: Kawahiko

What the hell is up with that girl's arms? Is this some kind of Phocomelia fetish!? :lol:

(Mod Edit - changed embedded image to a link on account of possibly-not-safe-for-workness -Ghegs)
that picture is my new desktop wallpaper..LOL
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Greatest Cave-related wish:

Do-don-parody: Dai Jou bu???
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

CIT wrote:Re: Kawahiko

I was wondering about that, but I think the artist just can't render fore-shortening and perspective properly. Take a look at this image. The character is clearly being viewed from below, but the torso is still over three heads long, the same as when his other characters are viewed straight on. From that angle the torso should be less than two heads long; as it is, the anatomy is badly distorted, and I think this flaw in his style is what gives most of the illustrations on his site such a skewed look.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I can see XS games publishing it.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Daigohji wrote:The character is clearly being viewed from below, but the torso is still over three heads long, the same as when his other characters are viewed straight on. From that angle the torso should be less than two heads long; as it is, the anatomy is badly distorted, and I think this flaw in his style is what gives most of the illustrations on his site such a skewed look.
Well said, you put it in the words I failed to describe. Studying Illustration myself, I draw stuff WAY out of any proportion, let alone anatomy. But I am not pretending that I can, either. The problem is that he tries to draw angles he can´t handle. (The "tiny arms" mentioned before are even worse.)

So either the art directors at Cave are total morons, or they hired him for a certain intend. As I said, I find the poster pretty interesting, partly for its certain jerkyness. Well, we have to wait till we see some more stuff showing up. But that guy is no genious, that´s for sure. Maybe Cave saw some potential in him I fail to see. But aside from that, there must be thousands of manga artists in Japan better than him. So there better should be a certain reason for hiring him.
Last edited by Frederik on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
bay

Post by bay »

FrederikJurk wrote:Maybe Cave saw some potential in him I fail to see. But aside from that, there must be thousands of manga artists in Japan better than him. So there better should be a certain reason for hiring him.
i hear he's porking cave's CEO's daughter.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Specineff wrote:

I can see XS games publishing it.
Don't EVER say that again! :(
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Haha, I just told a certain Japanese PCB supplier I'm often in contact with that I thought Muchi Muchi Pork looks pretty bizarre, what with the fat girl/pig theme. They immediately faxed my comments to Cave. We'll see if there's any response (all this was done in Japanese of course).
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Got the response back from Cave, they said "thanks for your input", and they emailed me a hi res scan of the game's promo flier! It looks just like the picture in the magazine posted in this thread, but sans the "AOU 2007" blurb.