Best Way to Play Import Megadrive Games?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jeffrey

Best Way to Play Import Megadrive Games?

Post by Jeffrey »

Is the best way to just get a Japanese Megadrive? I only want it for Eliminate Down and Greylancer, and they seem hard to come by (very pricy on ebay). (Are there other extremely good games for the Megadrive that are only in import versions?) I think I read somewhere that a US Genesis Model 3 can take import games. Is this correct? I have a US Genesis, but don't want to have to modify it, even if it is possible to do that (basically because I lack technical ability).
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It's really easy to modify. I has nothing to do with the electronics. The only thing keeping imports from working is the fact the cartridge won't fit b/c the genesis has 2 tabs on the top sides of the cartridge slot. All you have to do is pry them/file em down to where the cartride will fit and your done.

There are a few games that have a lock out but very few do this and they aren't the ones you listed.

If you still don't want to do that you can use a game genie or converter. I could always do it for you if you can deal with mailing it, but it's very easy. I did this to mine and can't even tell unless you knew those tabs belonged there.
Last edited by Strider77 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I now see a Japanese-US Megadrive converter for about 25 dollars on ebay. I assume from the above description that all this does is fit in the slot and make the slot bigger. This might be slightly cheaper that getting a new Genesis model 3, which also apparently works, and then I don't have to file down the games. Given the price of ED, I'd just prefer to keep it intact if I ever want to re-sell it.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Cheapest solution I've found is to just get a game genie.

Cheaper than one of those spacer carts, and most of the games with lockout have game genie codes you can enter to bypass it.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Game Genie is a good method since they're far more common than Mega Key's and the like. At first I got a Mega Key 2, which worked great but then I noticed most of my collection was imported and I was lucky enough to get a good offer on a MegaDrive 2 and the rest is history. Turns out very few of my domestic games need a bypass (as Genesis carts fit into MegaDrives larger slot) so that seems most convenient for me.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Shotgunfacelift
Banned User

Post by Shotgunfacelift »

You have Forgotten panorama cotton.
and twinkle tale...

Id say Gleylancer and Twinkle tale are my fav's,
Mushime -sama for $115 USD HOW GOOD IS THAT!
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I chose to get a Model 3, modified for s-video output by www.oldschoolgamer.ca.

I'll report how it turns out.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Strider77 wrote:There are a few games that have a lock out but very few do this and they aren't the ones you listed.
Aside from the fact that your suggestion would destroy retail value (like the N64, it'd be better to modify the console itself - Genesis units are quite cheap), it's also bad to assume that games don't have lockout - quite a few do, most everything after about 1993 or so.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

genesis systems have no value, and if you do the job well no one would even notice. and there are far more games that are not locked out versus are. if he comes across a game that is locked some day then he can cross that bridge then.

My systems cartridge slot is modded to fit the cartridge and I installed a switch so I can toggle between us and jpn modes. that's an incredibly easy mod also. i'd say my system is worth more than the average genesis after the mods.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Oh, my bad - thought you meant filing down the sides of the cartridges. Right, nobody will care if you fix a Genesis. It won't play every game, but it will do the majority of games, especially earlier ones.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Ed Oscuro wrote:It won't play every game, but it will do the majority of games, especially earlier ones.
It will, if you install the switch that Strider77 mentioned. I did this also. If you're going to mutilate your Genesis, might as well go all the way since it's one of the easiest mods ever that involves soldering. I even installed a DB-9 A/V port for my model 2 since it's a bitch to find RGB cables for it.

The switch also makes multi-region games play in Japanese, like Gaiares and Truxton. Infinitely cool.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

If you're going to mutilate your Genesis
LOL.... I went threw alot of effort to make everything very clean. I use a mega cd one with a megadrive one. So I also hooked the sound up via a headphone jack I installed on the back so i don't have to have that cord hanging out of the front.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah, I know ;)

But if you saw mine, you'd think I went to efforts to make it look as BAD as possible.

But anyway, point is... modding the cartridge slot and/or region switch is easy and clean. No need for adaptors or Game Genies or a separate system.