Tate Setup

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PPA

Tate Setup

Post by PPA »

I was looking around to make me a Tate exclusive setup for shmupping with my ps2...

I thought abot plugging the console in a not-to-big monitor via a VGA box.

So where can i get the VGA box and vga cable to use with the PS?

Second thing...ill'need a CRT to play correctly the tate mode or i should buy a 16:9 LCD and use that (if its possible to even TATE liquid crystal eeheh)?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

16:9 Bad. 4:3 Good.
PPA

Post by PPA »

4:3 mmh ok

but is an LCD ok?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

General consensus is that a CRT is a damn sight better than any LCD. But, if the LCD doesn't bother you, they're much easier to rotate.
PPA

Post by PPA »

Damocles wrote:General consensus is that a CRT is a damn sight better than any LCD. But, if the LCD doesn't bother you, they're much easier to rotate.
indeed...

Is a 17" LCD monitor so bad quality for 2d games?

I'll have minor or major flaws using a system like that? And why 4:3?
PC Engine Fan X!

Get XRGB-2 + Japanese RGB cable + CRT-based monitor = fun!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Bullet wrote:
Damocles wrote:General consensus is that a CRT is a damn sight better than any LCD. But, if the LCD doesn't bother you, they're much easier to rotate.
indeed...

Is a 17" LCD monitor so bad quality for 2d games?

I'll have minor or major flaws using a system like that? And why 4:3?
For Bullet,

I tried playing Mame32 emu using a 15" LCD-based flat screen monitor and it looked like shit...however playing with the same setup on a 17" CRT-based bulky monitor looked a whole lot better IMHO... ^_~

It's best to use a 4:3-based CRT monitor for along with an XRGB-2 for best overall presentation -- of course, that means using either a Japanese 21-pin RGB or Euro SCART cable interface setup to extract 15.75 sync rate from the PS2 console and upconvertor so that the PC monitor can display properly at 31 kHz sync rate + you can also use your favorite arcade Jamma PCBs with that same setup as well for great all-around versatility... ^_~

But then again, just how easy is it to get ahold of such out-of-production Microcom produced XRGB-2 upscan convertor these days? ^_~

Good luck on finding one though...hard-core video gamers & arcade PCB hobbyists definitely have one in their stash..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~