Questions about Wells Gardner Monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
howmuchkeefe

Questions about Wells Gardner Monitors

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I've got an NTSC-NA Xbox, PS/2 and Gamecube, and an NTSC-J PS2. I've finally accrued a good bit of spare money, and what I want is a monitor I can use to play games for these consoles in TATE mode when possible. I'm looking for something in the 19" range.

Should I get a 15.5K monitor? A 31.5? Is there a particular model I should buy?

Do I need to include special instructions when I order the monitor?

Where can I order a case that will suit my needs, or where might I find instructions for making one myself?

I'm horrified by the prospect of ordering a monitor and then finding that I've ordered the wrong one, or of breaking it by slapping it into a crappy homemade case. :oops:
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

unless you're using anything that will run in vga, you probably wont find much use for a monitor that can pull off 31.5khz.

That kind of monitor is better suited for the Dreamcast, and pc video cards. seems that newer consoles are starting to use vga, so you could get some use out of it there.

good luck
=/
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

"arcade monitor case"

First result: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_monitors.shtml

:lol:

I like the green skulls and how "get you killed" flashes. And is in red.

It's stuff like this that keeps me from going about this confidently without support.
zakk

Post by zakk »

howmuchkeefe wrote:"arcade monitor case"

First result: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_monitors.shtml

:lol:

I like the green skulls and how "get you killed" flashes. And is in red.

It's stuff like this that keeps me from going about this confidently without support.
The whole 'monitors will kill you ZOMG!!!!11!!!' thing is a bit overblown. They aren't that dangerous; there's a few spots you need to be careful around and the big 'omg can shock you!!!' one actually requires effort to even touch. Monitors are fine was long as you keep a bit of common sense about you.

If you ever think you'll want to play dreamcast games, or maybe even progressive scan stuff on the xbox/gamecube, you'll want something that can do 31khz.

There's seems to be an opinion forming that recent WG monitors are starting to suffer some quality issues. I know mine has some weird geometry issues and it requires some sync processing to sync to some boards/signals (which I seem to recall it used to sync with properly...)
The Wei-Ya stuff is a possible alternative (which I think Billabs still sells in the US, or you can try Alva Amusement)
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

Thanks for the info about Billabs!

I didn't except shipping to be so expensive, so now the fire is gone and I have more time to do research.