Damocles' custom stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Damocles

Damocles' custom stick

Post by Damocles »

Well, here it is...

First off, this thing was built with shooters in mind. However, I kept a standard six-button layout for compatability with fighters and whatnot. Here's what I'm working with:

1 Ultimarc T-Stik Plus w/custom-made light-action switches

I wanted a short throw, short travel stick. Mag-Stiks are good, but T-Stiks are a damn sight better. ...especially for shooters. Oddly enough, it's also quite good for fighters. You'll notice that I'm sporting a blue ball-top, despite previously stating I hate them. I still do...just not this one. Something about the height makes it work for me. ...it came free with the T-Stik, so I can't complain. ...those Slikstick custom ball-tops look delicious though.

The custom light switches are a creation of my own. I couldn't track down official light switches, so I added a short lever to the ones I already have. They work damn well.

Happ's pushbuttons

Nothing fancy. I do hate convex buttons, so these were the only way to go for me. Crisp and responsive.

Ultimarc I-Pac2

I'm running it through USB and have had no problems whatsoever. Since it's not a keyboard hack I don't have problems with ghosting, and can press as many buttons as I need at once. Perfect for fighters. Also, the WinIpac programming utility is quite handy at setting up my preferred layout. Add in shift functions for even for options, and I don't need to touch a regular keyboard once Mame is fired up.

Arcadeinabox.com mounting plate

Since T-Stiks don't align with US bolt patterns, this was necessary to mount the stick. I currently don't have access to metal-working tools, so this was my only option.
GoPodular.com

Post by GoPodular.com »

Nice job!

What are you using for feet?
Yes, our controllers work with the Xbox360.

Post by elvis »

Can you explain the button layout philosophy?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I'm merely using generic rubber feet. For me they aren't too important since my sticks are intended mostly for laptop use. That actually was one of the factors in determining the overall shape of the stick. I needed something that could accept Happ-style controls, yet still be comfortable enough to use on my lap. The Street Fighter Anniversary stick has this problem, since it's so damn tall. In order to deal with this, there is a slight slope and the front of the stick is roughly 2 1/2 inches in height. As such, it's deep enough to accept a tall-ass T-Stik Plus, but still short enough for comfortable laptop play.

As for the button layout, it is mostly designed around Mame use. At the top you have the credit and Player 1 start buttons. The two buttons below the 6 action buttons are mapped to "Enter" and "P" so I can enter in to and start games with my thumb. They look odd, but don't get in the way. In the rare instance when I feel a need for a 4-button Neo-Geo fighter, the Enter key is remapped and serves double uses.

My next stick will probably be a three button mini version of this one.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Oh OK, fair enough.

Generally I just remap the inputs on my frontend so that 1P start fires up a game. I'm not a fan of adding hundreds of extra buttons to my controller when remapping works just as well.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Blame it on the fact that I used to use an X-Arcade so my thumb naturally moves to those two buttons.

In recent news, I just ordered new light action switches and an aluminum ball-top handle.