Astro City CP access

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zinger

Astro City CP access

Post by zinger »

Just got myself an astro city cab, and I need to open the control panel to change buttons and sticks. However, it seems to have some odd lock mechanism under it, with very weird looking keyholes! I've got the keys to every other part of the cab, but not the cp. Where can I get the tool or key to the panel?

Thanks!
SOUNDSHOCK
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

On my astro city, one key opens all the locks. You need to unlock both sides of the cp to open it. The cp access is important cause that's where the monitor adjustments are.

I realize this probably didn't help you at all. If you don't have the key, you probably need to figure out how to remove the locks and replace them.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Shucks! :( I've been trying to reach the seller, maybe he just forgot to give me the key...

Removing the locks can't be easy, that's why they're there! :?
SOUNDSHOCK
zakk

Post by zakk »

If you have they key to 'every other part' you likely have the key to the control panel.

Usually one key does the CP and the front access doors/panels. The coinbox key is usually different.
bay

Post by bay »

zakk wrote:Usually one key does the CP and the front access doors/panels. The coinbox key is usually different.
on the 2 astro's i just got, 1 key opens all doors and the cp panel access.

drilling out those cp locks wont be too hard...
zinger

Post by zinger »

There are different keys for different parts of the cabinet, but the control panel keyholes look totally different.

They're shaped like this:

Code: Select all

_|
|_
  | 
That's why I thought I might need some kind of tool to get it open, never seen anything like it. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
slugnoid

Post by slugnoid »

zinger wrote:There are different keys for different parts of the cabinet, but the control panel keyholes look totally different.

They're shaped like this:

Code: Select all

_|
|_
  | 
That's why I thought I might need some kind of tool to get it open, never seen anything like it. :?
yikes! i hope your seller just forgot to ship the keys... I've never seen keys like my new astro's CP keys... If you find a source, let me know... otherwise, you may need to drill them out. go slow though, otherwise you'll go right through the CP :shock:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

zinger -- It might be from First Lock brand, model# FR01B or FR01N, or similar from another maker.

Check this page to view: http://www.firstlock.co.jp/
[click on the 5th navi tab, scroll near the bottom]
bay

Post by bay »

oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I think you are correct. :)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Stupid question,

But in Japan, all these Astro city owners have keys right.. so whats stopping them opening up the arcade cabs?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
elvis

Post by elvis »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Stupid question,

But in Japan, all these Astro city owners have keys right.. so whats stopping them opening up the arcade cabs?
Honesty.

Spend some time in Japan and you'll understand why. :)
zinger

Post by zinger »

Thanks for the input guys. The seller is looking for the key, otherwise I guess I'll try purchasing one of those keys from firstlock, or simply drill them out. This is so annoying though. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
sven666

Post by sven666 »

drill it open, new locks are 20:- over at biltema..

there arent any keys, there was one set with all the astros and it didnt fit any of them :P
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zinger

Post by zinger »

sven666 wrote:drill it open, new locks are 20:- over at biltema..

there arent any keys, there was one set with all the astros and it didnt fit any of them :P
I didn't get the cab from you, mr. wiseguy. :)
SOUNDSHOCK
sven666

Post by sven666 »

zinger wrote:
sven666 wrote:drill it open, new locks are 20:- over at biltema..

I didn't get the cab from you, mr. wiseguy. :)
you got it from ville?

who in turn got it from us ;)

i dont think there were any astro citys or egret 3s in scandinavia before we brought them in..?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
zinger

Post by zinger »

I got it from Lensora who claims he imports them himself. He also said he's looking for the key at the moment, but I don't know...
SOUNDSHOCK
RFL

Post by RFL »

Had to do the same thing: drill the locks and replace them... Got my astro from Lensora in GBG... got a pair of keys with the astro, but the keys simply did not work, one key even snapped when I tried to unlock the lock on the left side...
oxtsu

BTW

Post by oxtsu »

For home, usually the locks aren't required for the CP. I mean it will hold snug without them, unlike the doors. If you can drill them out, it should be enough.
zinger

Re: BTW

Post by zinger »

oxtsu wrote:For home, usually the locks aren't required for the CP. I mean it will hold snug without them, unlike the doors. If you can drill them out, it should be enough.
Yes, that's what I thought. I'll get to it when my new stick and buttons arrive. Thanks again.
SOUNDSHOCK