STV memory question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
slugnoid

STV memory question

Post by slugnoid »

I have a jpn STV board and have a few carts for it. My question is, currently, if I switch games and then switch back, all my high scores are gone (frustrating when working on Radiant Silvergun!). I was under the impression that the coin battery on the mobo would retain settings and scores for a few games ala NEO GEO MVS. Is my battery dead, or does the mobo not retain such information?

Thanks in Advance.
PC Engine Fan X!

Sega ST-V Titan PCB "High Score" memory question s

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

slugnoid wrote:I have a jpn STV board and have a few carts for it. My question is, currently, if I switch games and then switch back, all my high scores are gone (frustrating when working on Radiant Silvergun!). I was under the impression that the coin battery on the mobo would retain settings and scores for a few games ala NEO GEO MVS. Is my battery dead, or does the mobo not retain such information?

Thanks in Advance.
For slugnoid,

Go ahead and replace the CR-2032 coin-type battery on your JPN Bios ST-V mobo. The ST-V mobo does save high scores provided that you leave it installed for the entire time unless you decide to change it to another ST-V game cartridge. (This holds true with the Seibu Kaihatsu SP1 mobo...leave in the desired SP1 game cartridge and upon powering down for the day, the same high scores will be retained upon powering up the next time -- but if you remove the SP1 game and load up a new SP1 game cartridge, the current SP1 game's high scores will be erased from the RAM banks in order to save new high scores for the newly installed SP1 game.)

The ST-V mobo does have a built-in calender and 24 hour military time-based clock system for bookeeping purposes -- which is the same on the Sega Saturn console (both the arcade ST-V mobo & it's home console counterpart use a CR-2032 coin-type battery for high scores and game setting saves).

The Taito based G-Net mobo hardware saves the Taito G-Card game's high scores directly to the cartridge itself. There are a few G-Card game titles that don't save high scores upon powering down for the day like Takumi's Night Raid cartridge. On the other hand, the G-Card iteration of Success' Psyvariar Revision does save high scores + Super Replays of a single stage if 1CC'ed and is the highest score for that particular stage. A single Taito G-Card cartridge can hold up to 320 MB of data maximum.

It would be interesting to see if a pro Japanese shmupper's Psyvariar Revision G-Card Super Replays could be uploaded to a Taito G-Card...but that would require a Taito G-Net developer's kit to do something like that. It's a cool idea though. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
rtw

Re: Sega ST-V Titan PCB "High Score" memory questi

Post by rtw »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: The Taito based G-Net mobo hardware saves the Taito G-Card game's high scores directly to the cartridge itself. There are a few G-Card game titles that don't save high scores upon powering down for the day like Takumi's Night Raid cartridge. On the other hand, the G-Card iteration of Success' Psyvariar Revision does save high scores + Super Replays of a single stage if 1CC'ed and is the highest score for that particular stage. A single Taito G-Card cartridge can hold up to 320 MB of data maximum.
Are you sure about this ?

I was under the impression that it was this little PCB which did the back up:

http://home.online.no/~an-tj/rtw/g-net_back_up.jpg

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Yes, strange, but true. Some of the G-Net games save on the card itself (I can vouch for XII Stag and Psyvariar Revision). Some need the backup battery PCB.