ST: Raiden DX

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
landshark

Post by landshark »

There is no link for the page with the videos, though you make reference to it in the strategy.

Also, you say that every stage has only 1 flower patch; does this hold true on stage 9? (I'll never see that stage so I can't tell you)

Also, what is "omake" ? I see it above in the ST, and I see it in various games such as Jiku Oshaberi Parodius (sp?).
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

landshark wrote:There is no link for the page with the videos, though you make reference to it in the strategy.
My original post (which Randorama cut and paste into the ST) had a link, but it got lost in translation apparently. I fixed it.
landshark wrote:Also, you say that every stage has only 1 flower patch; does this hold true on stage 9? (I'll never see that stage so I can't tell you)
I'd assume not but I can't recall seeing either of them, actually. (I've only played the level twice.) You can still get to stage 9 on the "extreme wuss" difficulty if you'd like to find out for yourself. :)
landshark wrote:Also, what is "omake" ? I see it above in the ST, and I see it in various games such as Jiku Oshaberi Parodius (sp?).
"Omake" is the Japanese word for "bonus". I assume Randorama was referring to the unlockables.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Hmm... I think I might have to give extreme wuss a try :)

I gave arcade2 a try yesterday and got a higher score than arcade. That's pretty screwed up.
Palmer Eldritch
Location: Surfing the center of a superstring, headed upreality...

Post by Palmer Eldritch »

What exactly contributes to the "Guts" bonus?

--Michael
landshark

Post by landshark »

I was quite suprised. Very easy is indeed, "very easy." That's quite abnormal in a video game. Most games when set to easy still exhibit some kind of challenge.

Very easy turns off ALL bullets. You just have to manage not to collide with anything.

I thought this was going to be an easy 1LC until I accidentally picked up the purple laser in home stretch of level 8 and a f'ing little red crystal shard flew into me.

I wanted to know if a 1LC allowed for a loop.

At least I got to see level 9. I like how the boss morphs from a giant steel egg into a tank :)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

You loop from arcade difficulty on. Also, on level 9, you have two flower patches (and thus two golden pyramids) instead of one. Ah, also: thanks Zach for the work, from now on we're officially the authors (ormaybe it's better to say that Zach is the editor :wink:).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

> Training Mission - SECRETS: <
The Training Mission should be renamed Score Attack, as it has a larger concentration of secret scoring tricks than any of the other selectable missions. It is also one of the most difficult, but can yield the most points if you can successfully gain all bonuses and loop into Novice Mission (and beyond).

So here's a list of bonus locations, and their requirements.
  • Gold Pyramid 1:

This one's quite easy. Activate these two grey silos by hovering over them, and destroy them. Once destroyed, hover over the island, where the Missile container used to be, and a Gold Pyramid will appear.
  • Gold Pyramid 2:

FIrst, activate these three grey silos but do not destroy them. Hover a ship's length below the middle of the three grey silos, directly right of the tree, and a Gold Pyramid will appear. Once it does, feel free to destroy the grey silos.
  • Secret Powerup:

Occasionally, you can acquire an extra weapon powerup from this stationary powerup carrier, but in order to do so, you must quickly destroy ALL enemies on screen before you destroy the powerup carrier. That includes the occasional tank that appears to the right of the screen. The appearance can often be random, but you will trigger it more often if you satisfy these conditions.
  • Gold Pyramid 3:

This one is tricky, as you need to satisfy a few conditions in order to get the third Gold to reveal itself.

The main condition is that you must destroy the second large tank before the first. The sub-conditions are that the second large tank must not pass the flower patch area (circled in the second screenshot). And the first tank must pass the four grey silos (of which need to be activated and destroyed, marked in the third screenshot).

Once these conditions are satisfied, hovering at the location in the fourth screenshot - roughly inline with the right side of the blue building - will reveal the Gold Pyramid.
  • Three Red Cars:

By quickly destroying these tanks parked along this stretch of road at the third Gold location, you can trigger the appearance of three red cars that, when destroyed, can give you points between 500pts to 10,000pts.
  • Gold Pyramid 4:

You need to activate and destroy these three silos, before you hover over this patch of ground to the right of the screen to trigger the Gold Pyramid. Watch out for sniper tanks and choppers.
  • Gold Pyramid 5:

This one is probably the most difficult to get. When you reach this island, you see four raised silos and one in the middle, still in the ground. To activate the Gold Pyramid that appears later, you have to activate the center of the five silos, then deactivate the four outer silos. Once the center one is raised and the other four are completely in the ground, destroying the center one will destroy all five.

You cannot activate the fifth Gold if you do not destroy all five of these silos in this manner.

Once you reach this area with eight pillars that fire at you, destroying all eight pillars will trigger the appearance of the Gold and four extra grey silos.
  • DX Bonuses:

When you come across a train that crawls up it's tracks, firing at you, if you destroy all the carriages on this train, you'll get 10,000pts and a bomb. For every complete train you destroy, you'll gain a bomb, and the bonus will be doubled (up to 80,000pts for all four trains).

I believe that the DX Bonuses are related to the seventh Gold's appearance.
  • Gold Pyramid 6:

Shortly before the boss, after the trains, you'll fly over a small patch of trees to the right of the screen. Hidden in this patch of forest are four grey silos that need to be activated and destroyed. The sixth Gold appears at this patch of dry earth just after this section.
  • Gold Pyramid 7:

The activation of the seventh Gold is three-part. First, before you see the first set of trains for the DX Bonuses, you'll see these three silos in the ground. You must activate them, but do not destroy them.

Secondly, you must get all four DX Bonuses from the four trains.

Third, you must activate and destroy the sixth Gold. The seventh Gold will then appear in the same location as the sixth Gold.
Last edited by Icarus on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landshark

Post by landshark »

that rocks Icarus!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You're welcome ;)

Now go! Go and play!

Novice Mission miniguide coming soon.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

There's also a Raiden 2 style secret medal just before that power-up carrier.

EDIT: As Randorama has named me an official editor I've taken the liberty of adding Icarus's list to the ST.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I've never been able to find the hidden medal, no matter how many times I've tried to find it, therefore I tend to ignore it. Besides, in Training Mission, I'd prefer the increased firepower to a medal's worth in points :)
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

You can get them both; you can't get the medal until the line it's on is about to scroll off the screen anyway. On your screenshot of getting the power-up you have plenty of time to back off to the bottom of the screen.

While I'm here the "Raiden 2 style" medals also appear, unsurprisingly, at the end of the Novice stages. Trying to get both the medal and the position bonus is extremely difficult if not impossible, though. (The position bonus is potentially worth more if you manage to nail it, but the medal may be easier to find depending on your current weapon.)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Zach Keene wrote:There's also a Raiden 2 style secret medal just before that power-up carrier.

EDIT: As Randorama has named me an official editor I've taken the liberty of adding Icarus's list to the ST.
Zach, you're officially my hero :D
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Skyknight

Quick notes

Post by Skyknight »

The st. 2/7 theme for Raiden is called "Rough and Tumble", not "Gallantry". "Gallantry" is the st. 1/4 theme.

Still, "Gallantry" DOES also seem to contain a tribute to Toaplan's music, although not to the degree of "Rough and Tumble" (i.e. sounding like a continuation of Sky Shark's "Against the Attack"). One of the phrases sounds very similar to a phrase in "Mystic Green", the st. 4 song from Hellfire...
nZero

Post by nZero »

The links for the images detailing the Mission Charlie radar box locations should work again now. Thank Zach Keene for reminding me to look for them.
rtw

Post by rtw »

nZero wrote:The links for the images detailing the Mission Charlie radar box locations should work again now. Thank Zach Keene for reminding me to look for them.
Just found this ST thanks to Ghegs :)

Looks like all the nZero image links are dead again, anyone have a mirror ?

I am playing the Tuning PCB version. Throughout this ST I see no mention of the "Red Pyramid". For example in Alpha stage, if I rush up to the island detroy the 4 objects around the cage with the H/M inside it and hower there I get a red pyramid.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

The Red Pyramid is probably the worst of all the secret pyramids. It is considered the most inferior of the different pyramids (not including the grey silos), as it scores the lowest, doesn't give you much to your end of stage bonus, and the explosion is quite weedy compared to the massive nuke that blowing up a Gold Pyramid generates ;) The only thing they are good for is telling you where the pyramid is hidden, so you can then attempt to unlock the Gold at that same location through a number of criteria.

In Training Mission especially, if you are aiming for a high score and/or the second loop, it is best to go for the Golds as they give you the most points, and contribute a large percentage to your end of stage bonus (which can be helpful in getting to the second loop).
nZero

Post by nZero »

rtw wrote:Looks like all the nZero image links are dead again, anyone have a mirror ?
Ahh, nads. Thanks for reminding me. Personal directories at vgmusic got wiped out when the server moved. I've re-upped them on my own space, feel free to directly link them.

http://www.voidaudio.net/images/RaidenD ... Secret.PNG
http://www.voidaudio.net/images/RaidenD ... ecret1.PNG
http://www.voidaudio.net/images/RaidenD ... ecret2.PNG

Here's a .zip file of all of them for anyone who wants to mirror them or whatever:

http://www.voidaudio.net/misc/RaidenDXScreenshots.zip
rtw wrote:I am playing the Tuning PCB version. Throughout this ST I see no mention of the "Red Pyramid". For example in Alpha stage, if I rush up to the island detroy the 4 objects around the cage with the H/M inside it and hower there I get a red pyramid.
Aye to what Icarus said. There's Gold, Silver and Red depending on how much of the criteria you've met when discovering the pyramid. Gold of course being worth the most and meaning all secret criteria were met. Only applies to Mission Alpha/Training Mission.
rtw

Post by rtw »

nZero wrote:
rtw wrote:Looks like all the nZero image links are dead again, anyone have a mirror ?
Ahh, nads. Thanks for reminding me. Personal directories at vgmusic got wiped out when the server moved. I've re-upped them on my own space, feel free to directly link them.
rtw wrote:I am playing the Tuning PCB version. Throughout this ST I see no mention of the "Red Pyramid". For example in Alpha stage, if I rush up to the island detroy the 4 objects around the cage with the H/M inside it and hower there I get a red pyramid.
Aye to what Icarus said. There's Gold, Silver and Red depending on how much of the criteria you've met when discovering the pyramid. Gold of course being worth the most and meaning all secret criteria were met. Only applies to Mission Alpha/Training Mission.
That was pretty fast, thanks nZero :D, Nice to get this bit about the red pyramid out of the way. I was afraid I had a different version since the subject contained no hint of a red pyramid.

rtw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

rtw wrote:Nice to get this bit about the red pyramid out of the way. I was afraid I had a different version since the subject contained no hint of a red pyramid.
Aye, like nZero mentioned, there are different kinds of pyramids available, and you have to fulfill certain requirements to change them from Red (the worst) to Silver to Gold (the best, and the one youshould always be aiming for).

The info I've put up for Training Mission is only for unlocking all the Gold Pyramids, so if you follow the guidelines for each available Gold, you should have no problem geting a good score. Some are trickier than others to uncover.
Arcader

Post by Arcader »

HI

Can someone tell me all the secrets for Mission Bravo.

I can only find some but I need to know all of them to increase my score.

Also can someone explain to me why I can get a Miclus some times with the very first box I destroy on Mission Bravo?

Thanks in advance
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I'm busy playing that very difficult, unpredictable, non-linear action game with the vicious, variable rank system.

It's called Real Life, and once I'm done with it tonight, I'll pop up the complete written secrets and boss list for Novice Mission ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

> Novice Mission - SECRETS AND TRICKS: <
Novice Mission contains a number of secrets that are simpler to activate than they are in Training. However, since Novice Mission is classed as a version of the game in it's own right, there are also new hazards that must be dealt with in their own manner. This Novice Mission quickguide will attempt to list all the major areas that need to be addressed for those who are aiming for a high-scoring No-Miss ALL.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

STAGE ONE:
  • GOLD PYRAMID:

This one is easy to locate. It's right in the center of the impact crater, so just hover over the area and the Gold will reveal itself. Watch out for the group of tanks that appear to the left on the motorway next to the crater, and the choppers that descend from the top of the screen.
  • FAIRY:

The Fairy is hidden in this tree (marked in the screenshot) just after the impact crater containing the first Gold Pyramid. Blast the tree until the Fairy appears.
  • WALKING TANK NO.1
    To quickly destroy the first walking tank, you need to hover right over the turret. Watch out for the shots that are fired from the four exhaust ports located on top of the turret, as marked here:

The shots will originate from these exhaust ports, so ensure you are lined up correctly with the turret, or else you'll be shot down while attempting to point blank it.
  • BOSS - WALKING TANK NO.2:
    (recommended weapons: Spread // Straight Missiles)

The second walking tank is a bit trickier to approach as it will fire it's enclosure attack the second it appears on screen. There are two good methods to getting within pointblank range:
    • Method 1: << TARGET TIME: 9sec >>

Hang at the bottom of the screen, and lure the turret to fire at you from an angle. Once the enclosure attack is fired, you can sidestep the main two-way stream and quickly get within pointblank range, again making sure you avoid any contact with the four exhaust ports that fire bullets.

Once you get within range, the turret will rotate back to it's set 12 o'clock position. the turret will always take the shortest route to the 12 o'clock position, so follow it as it rotates.
    • Method 2: << TARGET TIME: 4sec >>

Make your way to the top of the screen quickly before it appears, and watch the top edge of the screen carefully. Maneuver yourself so that you are between the first two legs of the tank, and slowly tap the controller to follow the turret down the screen. The enclosure attack will be fired, but you will be right on top of the main turret, missing the attack completely.

Watch out for the sniper chopper that appears, as it will fire a shot at you if it is at a far enough distance from your ship.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

STAGE TWO:
  • GOLD PYRAMID

Where the flower patch is, hover roughly two "tiles" below it - a tile is roughly the size of the flower patch - and the Gold should appear.
  • AMPHIBIOUS TANK NO.1

The first amphibious tank is pretty easy if you have been collecting only Straight Missiles and Spread powerups (you should be one level below MAX for both of them). The main body of the tank will fire an aimed V-pattern at you (meaning it'll always miss you if you stand still), but the three pairs of turret ports will fire aimed shots at you. Once these three ports are destroyed, the turret at the back will fire an aimed spray spread at you.

The best method to dealing with the first tank is to get as close as you can that the V-pattern will just miss you, and blast the tank until the three pairs of turret ports are destroyed. As soon as they are destroyed, move up a bit more so you are right on top of the boss, and keep attacking, and soon the tank will blow up.
  • AMPHIBIOUS TANK NO.2
    The second amphibious tank is a bit trickier to destroy as it has a slightly higher resilience to damage than the first tank. You should apply the same methods to destroying the turret ports, but as soon as you have destroyed them, you can use one of two tried-and-tested methods:
    • Method 1:

Back off from the tank, and squeeze through the gaps in the spray spread attack. Stay in line with the tank, and let your Straight Missiles do the damage.
    • Method 2:

Wait a split second after you have destroyed the third pair of turret ports, and then move up and past the tank, missing the spray spread. As soon as the spray spread has been fired, move back over the tank, and the shots and Missiles you fire should destroy it before it gets the chance to attack again.
  • BOSS - DRONE SPAWNER: << TARGET TIME: 15sec >>

To start off, get as close as you can and destroy the twin gun in the middle of the boss, and the two wings. Once these are destroyed, get as close as you can and pointblank the boss. Do not worry about the drones crashing into you, as the Spread should take care of any that get too close.

As soon as you see all the drones eject off the boss, quickly back off, and listen out for an engine noise, which signals the boss is about to fire it's fast spread attack. Find the gap through the spread attack, and get back up to pointblank range. If you are fast enough, you should not have to deal with the twin enclosure attack.

If you do have to avoid the twin enclosure attack, make sure you tap your way through and out to the sides of the screen early into it's firing pattern, and as quickly as you can, because if you take too long, the attack will trap you.

STAGE THREE:
  • GOLD PYRAMID:

The Gold is located on the beach next to this flower patch, shown in the screenshot above. Make sure you clear the area of every chopper, tank and boat that appears with the item carrier, as this will ensure that you don't get swarmed while trying to reveal the Gold.
  • BOSS - STEALTH SUBMARINE: << TARGET TIME: 5sec >>

The easiest method I've found to take out this boss is to use non-homing weaponry to destroy all of the little turret ports that adorn the body of the boss. By using Straight Missiles, you give yourself the option of speedkilling the boss, and by using Spread, you can control when and how much damage you deal the boss.

To start, sit in front of the boss, and wait until the turrets directly underneath the weakpoint activate, and tap fire to send a group of Straight Missiles into them, destroying them instantly. After you have destroyed the first pair of turrets under the weakpoint, move between the bottom corners and the sides of the screen, using the edge of your Spread to destroy the first layer of turret ports.

Repeat this strategy for the second and third layer of turret ports that are on the body of the boss, but take care not to destroy the covering on the main weakpoint.

If all is going to plan, you should have destroyed all the small turret ports on the boss' body, and the boss should have moved to the very end of the canal. The only target left is the main weakpoint. Destroy the green cover, and while the large turret activates itself - it will take about two seconds to do so, quickly get on top of the turret and pointblank it with your Spread and Straight Missiles.

The main complication when dealing with the large turret in this manner is the appearance of the sniper chopper. Once the screen stops scrolling, a single chopper will fly down the screen at regular intervals, but in random locations, and will either fire a potshot at you or attempt to ram you. Since you are already quite high up the screen when you go to pointblank it, it doesn't give you much time to react. Therefore, the trick to dealing with the chopper effectively, and giving yourself the right amount of time to pointblank the main turret, is to time exactly when you destroy the green covering on the boss' weakpoint, so that the chopper appears just as you are making your way up the screen to pointblank the turret.

STAGE FOUR:
  • GOLD PYRAMID:

This Gold is located to the right of the screen, within the ruins of a destroyed building. While it is relatively simple to locate, getting it is made more difficult by the appearance of three large tanks, a flying bomber, and one very fast moving airborne fighter.

All three types are marked in the screenshots, sorted by appearance order. While the three large tanks and the bomber appear in the same place each time, the fast-moving fighter appears in a random location, so watch the top of the screen carefully to determine it's location. Make sure you destroy all of them before you uncover and destroy the Gold, otherwise one of them will take a shot at you.
  • FAIRY:

At some point in the stage, you'll come across a circle of eight pillars set to the left of the screen. When you destroy all of these pillar, a tree will materialise in the center of the circle of pillars. Attack this tree until the Fairy appears.
  • BOSS - FORTRESS: << TARGET TIME: 15sec >>
    (recommended weapons: Spread // Homing Missiles)

The first part of the boss that appears is the large... "turret block"... thing... that moves up the middle of the playfield, firing aimed shots at you, and activating turret poles dotted around the large building you fly over. Each of these poles will drop Medals/miclii when destroyed, so collect them to further your end-of-stage bonus. Eventually it'll be joined by two smaller "turret blocks" that appear either side of it.

Your aim for the whole of the scrolling section (up until the main fortress appears and the screen stops scrolling) is to leave the larger of the three "turret blocks" alive, until it meets up with the main fortress building. This is because the destruction of this large "turret block" starts the boss timer. Once it meets up with the main fortress, quickly destroy it, and then get as close to the main weakpoint in the center of the fortress as you can.

There will be two pairs of hatch turrets - two either side of the weakpoint - that will open up at regular intervals and fire in an X-pattern. As long as you stay just under the main weakpoint, you'll be safe. When these hatch turrets open, quickly fire a burst of Shot to destroy each pair.

Once both pairs of hatch turrets are destroyed, get right on top of the weakpoint, and pummel it with Shot to destroy it. If you want to be extra safe - to avoid being sniped as you pointblank the main weakpoint - drop a bomb while you pointblank the weakpoint. This is also to safeguard against it's desperation attack, where it activates all twelve pole turrets to the sides of the screen.

STAGE FIVE:
NOTE: This whole stage requires you to be on your toes and wary of sniper tanks that can pop out of buildings and from under trees. I recommend equipping Spread and Homing Missiles for the duration of the stage.
  • GOLD PYRAMID:

You'll come across the flower patch marking the location of the Gold not long into the stage. However, you'll notice that it's located to the right of a single tree. If you imagine a mirror running vertically down the tree, the Gold itself is located to the left of the tree, where the mirrored flower patch would be.

Refer to the screenshot if you need to know the exact location ^_^
  • BOSS - RED GUNSHIP: << TARGET TIME: 65sec >>
    (recommended weapons: Laser // Homing Missiles)

The first part of the battle involves you approaching and destroying the giant carrier. The very center of the carrier houses a turret that fires in a fast star pattern, while the wingtips fire aimed shots at you. Make sure you destroy the wingtips first, as this will make it easier to attack the carrier.

Once the carrier is destroyed, the gunship will pop out, wearing some nifty blue armor. Get up as close to it as possible while it's still floating about, and pointblank it until it a few parts of the armor are destroyed. You want to take out the wingtips again, and the two turrets located either side of the front cockpit (marked in the screenshot). Back off when it's about to start it's patterns, and maneuver your way through the patterns - the scatter pattern is easy to dodge, just stay in front of it, tapping to move along the screen with the gunship - until you completely destroy it's armor.

The red form, it's final form, is it's most aggressive. You want to deal as much damage as you can using your Laser and Straight Missiles, and stay directly underneath it. It's enclosure attack is the most difficult to avoid, you can either stay right under it, and dodge through the small gap where the semi-circular wave of bullets cross, or you can go out wide and dodge though the gaps in the patterns from there... or use a bomb ^_-

Just keep dealing damage to it from here, and it should blow up after a half a minute of sustained damage.
Last edited by Icarus on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

ST updated with Icarus's new stuff and nZero's "new" picture links (sorry about the delay there...)
landshark

Post by landshark »

My god that's awesome Icarus. Are you going to make a superplay video soon? I'd love to see this in action. ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

They were done several months ago ^_^
Training 8.83mil (to stage 2-4) and Novice No Miss (both on Normal Difficulty).
Check the tracker ^_-
Arcader

Post by Arcader »

Wow thanks for that

Many ppl here as well myself will appreciate the effort u put in.

Thanks for the secrets, thats all I needed to know as I can 1 life Bravo (novice) level.

Just could never find the 4th and 5th stage pyramids and Ive been playing this game for over 10 years :)

Again much thanks for that :)

Still no answer about how I can get a miclus on the first box I destroy which contridicts the miclus rule :?
rtw

Post by rtw »

Arcader wrote:Wow thanks for that

Many ppl here as well myself will appreciate the effort u put in.
I couldn't agree more, brilliant effort, thank you very much :D

rtw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Arcader wrote:till no answer about how I can get a miclus on the first box I destroy which contridicts the miclus rule :?
The Medals follow a similar rule to Battle Garegga's items, in that the order of appearance will carry over to subsequent credits. Say for example that you colected three Medals at MAX value (triggering the Miclus) but lost your last life before you could reveal one. The Miclus will appear from the first box you destroy on your next credit.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Zach Keene wrote:ST updated with Icarus's new stuff and nZero's "new" picture links (sorry about the delay there...)
omg Zach is officially my hero ;_; :wink: