Galshell: Blood Red Skies

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Damocles

Galshell: Blood Red Skies

Post by Damocles »

I recently had a bunch of time on my hands, so I sat down an finally 1cc'd the first Galshell game. Now I just have to remark how good the game actually is. Quite good, methinks. That's all, talk amongst yourselves...

http://akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/game/gals ... /index.htm
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Hehe, the first Galshell game is pretty fun if the theme doesn't make you run for the hills. The last time I played it I was literally inches away from 1cc'ing it...Wish my PC still ran... :(
now tighter than your sister
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Lemme guess, final boss, final pattern? The one right after she sends the smiley-faced bullets at you? Pain in the ass if you're not expecting it.

As for the theme...yeah, it's waaaay the hell out there.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Hadn't heard of this before, but the Giger-esque design and plethora of boobies enticed me into a download. I think it's pretty impressive, but there's a graphical issue with v2.0 on my system. The box around the bullets that's meant to be transparent is showing up as a big black square in a lot of cases. The Alpha Blend option seems to make no difference.

I'm running it on an Athlon XP3000, 2Gb RAM, Geforce 7800 GS with 91.31 graphic drivers. Anyone else had any graphic issues?
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

is this free?

It looks interesting...
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Shatterhand wrote:is this free?

It looks interesting...
Yes, yes it is. Check out Hellbound as well.
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Daigohji wrote:Hadn't heard of this before, but the Giger-esque design and plethora of boobies enticed me into a download. I think it's pretty impressive, but there's a graphical issue with v2.0 on my system. The box around the bullets that's meant to be transparent is showing up as a big black square in a lot of cases. The Alpha Blend option seems to make no difference.

I'm running it on an Athlon XP3000, 2Gb RAM, Geforce 7800 GS with 91.31 graphic drivers. Anyone else had any graphic issues?
I get the same issue, but only on the explosions, it seems. I can see actual bullets just fine. Either way, it's annoying because this causes me to lose sight of bulbs.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Tried both this and Hellbound, not bad, though the theme does indeed make me wonder if the creator/s is currently in a padded cell, heh heh. Is there any concrete info (in English) about exactly how the scoring and such works in both games? I think I have the basic idea, but not all of it...
kong

Post by kong »

Here's a way to fix the graphic problems with Galshell and Hellbound. You want to open up the offending files in mspaint and resave them as 256 color bitmaps instead of 24 bit bitmaps. The alpha channel is what's screwing up the ati cards. In Galshell you will want to do this for bakuhatu.bmp and tama01.bmp. I'm not sure if there are any other files that need to be corrected since I haven't played the game much. Hope that helps.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Thanks Kong, that did the trick.
landshark

Post by landshark »

kong wrote:Here's a way to fix the graphic problems with Galshell and Hellbound. You want to open up the offending files in mspaint and resave them as 256 color bitmaps instead of 24 bit bitmaps. The alpha channel is what's screwing up the ati cards. In Galshell you will want to do this for bakuhatu.bmp and tama01.bmp. I'm not sure if there are any other files that need to be corrected since I haven't played the game much. Hope that helps.
Oh sweet. This is what kept me from enjoying these games. Thanks!
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

I downloaded this ages ago and found it absolutely impossible; but now it feels more reasonable. Not easy, but doable. Either the game's been re-balanced or I don't suck as much now, probably both. I like the disturbed artwork. Nice sick, scary feel apart from stage 3; the giant snail-men are a little silly, and the boss is flat-out hilarious -- good hilarious though. Maybe I've admitted too much about myself here.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Gotta love Omake mode.
JBC

Post by JBC »

1cc'd just now. :D

It's really not that difficult, the slowdown helps a hell of alot and the hitbox is extremely forgiving compared to alot of shmups i've played.

As long as you keep an eye on where you're enemies are at in conjunction with the shape of thier attacks you should be able to whiz by everything. Admittedly, even having 1cc'ing it i had ALOT of close calls, especially on the boss before the last level (the 'battleship' :wink:).

Just try not to choke all your enemies. Stay a good distance away from the ones in later levels that unleash really thick, circular patterns (and never sit in front of the teets).

The music is really cool - i wish there was more of it. I wish i could read japanese too... what is the story? Seems similar to X-Multiply.
Godzilla was an inside job
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

So is there anything special I have to do to get to stage 5 in Hellbound? Please oh please tell me I don't have to finish hard mode...

That and I've 1CCed both easy and normal and only gotten 2 of the gallery pieces opened. Does the character you finished with matter with that or is it just the difficulty or score?
Edge

Post by Edge »

Wow, nice find. I really enjoyed this game. :)

I like the Geiger-ish artstyle and the music is awesome. Though it gets a bit repetitive, the stages are not very different or unique. Died at the last boss floating girl (I think it was the last one).

I will probably try Hellhound later.
PC Engine Fan X!

Could a modern arcade shmup title of Galshell do well?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Could such a modern-day arcade shmup developer release such an arcade shmup title with the look and design of Galshell?

The very surreal look of H.R. Giger with biomorphic shapes of tits 'n' asses seemlessly intergrated into the overall presentation pushes the visual imagery bounderies of shmup aesthetics design. (In real life, if such huge monstrosities of biomorphic flesh combined with alien flesh existed, if subjected to real firepower, would be ripped to shreds and spew blood, and other foreign liquid-based matter...it would be a fucking splatter-fest indeed.)

I seriously doubt if any respectable arcade chain would want to showcase such an arcade shmup title with photo-realistic graphics bordering on hardcore Hollywood horror FX type of special effects. (Sure, there are people out there who like that kind of stuff -- mix in a little S&M with the horror genre & combine with shmup stylized gameplay = one helluva unique arcade shmup game.) KBN FX Inc., right now, produces some of the best horror prosethetics in the horror film business. ^_~

Or how about a Hellraiser inspired Cenobite fused with shmup-bullet like powers to do battle with the legions of the undead in a horror-based shmup game...would Clive Barker approve of this? (The overall tagline of "the ultimate form of pain & suffering is the ultimate form of pleasure & ecastasy" that is shown in the Hellraiser films upon solving the devilish puzzle known as the "Lament Configuration Box" -- bizarre concept in itself could only come from the deepest recesses of Mr. Barker's mind himself. There was mention of a Japanese guy who came up with an origami design so intricate & elaborate, that when he finished it, the gates of Hell opened up and the Cenobites snatched him -- Mr. Barker mentioned that there are several ways to unlock the Cenobites according to his "The Hellbound Heart" short novel with most unsuspecting victims using the "LCB" puzzle device to their doom.)

I do recall SNK's SAR "Search And Rescue" arcade game that really pushed the horror genre boundaries in a Ikari Warriors/Heavy Barrel gameplay type of game setting. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As I said above, Galshell's pretty good, but am I the only one who finds the sequel almost unplayable?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

BulletMagnet wrote:As I said above, Galshell's pretty good, but am I the only one who finds the sequel almost unplayable?
Nope. The second one, in any version, is crap.

I never noticed it until recently, but there needs to be more medieval/horror/etc. shooters. Space ships and airplanes are fine and dandy, but sometimes you want to go up against cool-ass demons, reapers, etc.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Damocles wrote:Nope. The second one, in any version, is crap.
I was wondering if I just had a non-tweaked version or something...I never got very far in it, but all I ever saw was one type of enemy which shot one bullet pattern, and neither the precision of my craft's movement nor my weapons were nearly enough to last very long...I was wondering whether it was just my lack of skill or what. I wonder what the heck possessed them to go in that direction after the first...
I never noticed it until recently, but there needs to be more medieval/horror/etc. shooters. Space ships and airplanes are fine and dandy, but sometimes you want to go up against cool-ass demons, reapers, etc.
I'd say Konami's the best bet (or not) for that...maybe they could take Castlevania in a, er, new direction...or bring back Knightmare, heh heh. ;)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

We need more doujin shooters that are about airplanes and other flying crafts.

There's too many "flying people" doujin shooters.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
TerminasluT

Post by TerminasluT »

I recall mentioning both Galshell & Hellbound a long time ago in a thread...

BulletMagnet wrote:
As I said above, Galshell's pretty good, but am I the only one who finds the sequel almost unplayable?

Galshell 2 is still under construction... we'll have to wait and see the final product.

There is also Yakouga & Yakouga 2 by those guys, those arent free tho...
The first Yakouga is my personal favorite!
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/fortuna/yakouga/
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/fortuna/yakouga2/

Than there's Galaxy Hero another free one
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/game/galaxy/index.htm

lastly (Sky) this one looks unfinished... at least theres a demo here
http://akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/game/sky/index.htm
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

TerminasluT wrote:Galshell 2 is still under construction... we'll have to wait and see the final product.
Ah, that makes a bit more sense...as it stands it's a huge drop in quality from the last one.
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

TerminasluT wrote:I recall mentioning both Galshell & Hellbound a long time ago in a thread...

BulletMagnet wrote:

Galshell 2 is still under construction... we'll have to wait and see the final product.

There is also Yakouga & Yakouga 2 by those guys, those arent free tho...
The first Yakouga is my personal favorite!
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/fortuna/yakouga/
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/fortuna/yakouga2/

Than there's Galaxy Hero another free one
http://artesneit.halfmoon.jp/game/galaxy/index.htm

lastly (Sky) this one looks unfinished... at least theres a demo here
http://akiragoya.sakura.ne.jp/game/sky/index.htm
Wow, I wish I could use the engine they use for these games just to get a feel for making something with an actual system.

Also, is it just me or is Yakouga2, er, impossible? I don't get hit, kill everything and grab everything I can and the timer being there STILL kills me before I can get anywhere near a boss. O_o
mainpatr1

Post by mainpatr1 »

Hentai shmups?
TerminasluT

Post by TerminasluT »

hikarutilmitt wrote: Also, is it just me or is Yakouga2, er, impossible? I don't get hit, kill everything and grab everything I can and the timer being there STILL kills me before I can get anywhere near a boss. O_o
That's cuz its the demo :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

That's odd, in the demo I DLed some enemies gave up green gems which add 3 seconds to the timer, and thus I made it to and beat the first boss (as far as the demo goes). Maybe I got a different version somehow?
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Actually, it turns out I was running out of time because I wasn't using the speed button (pressing it once didn't do anything, so I figured it was an unimplemented feature in the demo version). I actually managed to clear it yesterday.
TerminasluT

Post by TerminasluT »

The full version is pretty hard since you need to 1CC the whole thing. No continues at all, once you get the hang of the speed button its not too hard tho... the last boss is HUGE.

btw its available on the japanese(maniax) version of Dlsite.com
bcass

Re: Galshell: Blood Red Skies

Post by bcass »

Does anyone know if this was a widescreen game, or 4:3? I think it looks better in 4:3 (using dgVoodoo) but would be interested to know what the original aspect ratio is supposed to be.