Region lock-out on Capcom CPSII system?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

Region lock-out on Capcom CPSII system?

Post by scrilla4rella »

Life is good! just got hooked up with a super-fine Supergun and am trying what boards I want to get next after picking up Batrider and Dogyuun in Japan.

I have been interested in getting either a Neo-geo motherboard or a Capcom CPSII mother board for games like Dimahoo, Progear, and Aliens Vs. Predator.

I have seen cheap CPSII motherboards on Ebay that say they are US systems. My questions are:

-will I be able to use Japanese CPSII boards on a US system?
-what about region lock-out for most neogeo motherboards?

ahh, so many good arcade games. what to play next...
Last edited by scrilla4rella on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It goes like this.

Green and blue boards work together. So a Green B (Japanese) board will work fine on a US (Blue A board) and vice versa.

There are grey/gray boards from Hong Kong or Korea, these Gray B boards only work on Grey/Gray motherboards.

On the Neo Geo. All carts work on all territories systems.

However, the languages are predefined by the mother board. So if your motherboard is a USA board, all USA and JAPANESE and European carts will display with English text.

If you have a Japanese motherboard, all text ON ALL CARTS will be Japanese.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

alright, only took three minutes for the answer this time. I knew I could count on someone here. 8)

here is another stupid pcb question for anyone still reading,
Is it safe to leave your PCB boards in the bubblewrap while they are hooked up and running?

The clerks at the board shops I went to left the boards on the wrap with a slit on the back for the JAMMA connector. Does anyone know if this is safe to do for the longterm?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

scrilla4rella wrote:The clerks at the board shops I went to left the boards on the wrap with a slit on the back for the JAMMA connector. Does anyone know if this is safe to do for the longterm?
I think it's alright. I do this as well, though I make sure there's a big opening on one side for ventilation and I put the PCB feet on the PCB to give some venting on the bottom of the board. Make sure you use the anti-static bubble-wrap with this (it's pink, not clear) to prevent any static damage to the board. The advantage to playing in the bubblewrap is it keeps out the dust and dirt, keeping the board in better physical shape longer.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Some PCB's get hot in places. But I would only worry about it if they are naked PCB's.

CPS2 A+B boards sandwiched together are ok if ventilation areas are not covered.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

neorichieb1971 wrote:However, the languages are predefined by the mother board. So if your motherboard is a USA board, all USA and JAPANESE and European carts will display with English text.

This is incorrect I'm afraid. Language is determined by the game/B board. If you get the B board phoenixed, Raz can put all regions selectable on the original ROM set.
here is another stupid pcb question for anyone still reading,
Is it safe to leave your PCB boards in the bubblewrap while they are hooked up and running?
Well, that depends. Let's just say it's better to take it out. Excessive heat is never good for a circuit board.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

oxtsu wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:However, the languages are predefined by the mother board. So if your motherboard is a USA board, all USA and JAPANESE and European carts will display with English text.

This was in relation to the MVS part of his question :P
zakk

Post by zakk »

oxtsu wrote:

This is incorrect I'm afraid. Language is determined by the game/B board. If you get the B board phoenixed, Raz can put all regions selectable on the original ROM set.
I think he was talking about neo-geo stuff there, not CPS2.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I should have read more closely. Thanks zakk.

Sorry about that, Richie!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

No problemo.