Guwange power supply issue on UBERIA supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

Guwange power supply issue on UBERIA supergun

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

i have a uberia supergun and guwange PCB , im pretty sure i need to get a proper arcade power supply for my supergun as some times this game wont boot and i get an error message

ILL ERR
ADR

CODE
SR
PC

with some flashing mess at the bottom , so sometimes i have to power on and off to get it to work

when i had a CAB it was fine

any ideas ?

Thanks
Trev
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
John_Smith

Re: Guwange power supply issue on UBERIA supergun

Post by John_Smith »

Trevor spencer wrote:Hi

i have a uberia supergun and guwange PCB , im pretty sure i need to get a proper arcade power supply for my supergun as some times this game wont boot and i get an error message

ILL ERR
ADR

CODE
SR
PC

with some flashing mess at the bottom , so sometimes i have to power on and off to get it to work

when i had a CAB it was fine

any ideas ?

Thanks
Trev
Hey Trev!

I have the exact same intermittently issues with my Guwange PCB!! I'm not completely sure, but it does seem extremely fussy on voltage. Sad fact of the matter though, I am in fact using a good reliable regulated Arcade PSU and have tweaked the Vcc to perfection while the game is running and still if I switch it off then back on a few times it will likely fail to boot and display your noted error every few times I try it. Obviously I can get the game to work fine generally even if I have to turn it off then back on again before it'll boot properly. It's more disconcerting than anything, as it's a fairly uncommon and expensive title to show issues like this. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem though, makes me feel confident that there's a perfectly logical explanation to this problem.

If anyone knows what the problem might be, please let us in on it as it's kinda unsettling to say the least. :(

Cheers in advance!! 8)
Dave_K.

Re: Guwange power supply issue on UBERIA supergun

Post by Dave_K. »

John_Smith wrote:Sad fact of the matter though, I am in fact using a good reliable regulated Arcade PSU and have tweaked the Vcc to perfection while the game is running and still if I switch it off then back on a few times it will likely fail to boot and display your noted error every few times I try it.
So what exact Vcc are you setting the +5 to? If its exactly +5.00v then this is NOT good. You want it around +5.12v. Setting it at exactly 5v means there is no room for sag when you first power on, and if the board goes below 5v it will usually not boot or get an error (depends on the board).
system11

Post by system11 »

5.06 is actually the correct rule of thumb, that's measured under load with an average sized board. I wouldn't put 5.12 into things like older Namco or Konami boards, that's asking for trouble.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

John_Smith -- How many Amps on +5V is your arcade PSU rated for?
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

this sounds like your uberia supergun doesn't output enough amperage.
my guwange PCB started not booting or resetting with my old weak supergun, but resumed working fine with a homemade supergun with a 400W PC power supply. progear was the same deal
i didn't have to tweak the voltage at all.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Thanks for all the replys , id like a better power supply but wouldnt have a clue where to start
YouTube
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I would suggest a power supply with 5A or greater on +5V (3A would be the minimum...common with laptop PSU's like Jameco SC200, 5A good, 7 to 10A better..might as well say "best", 15A bulletproof, teetering on overkill -- to run the hungriest of old-school bootlegs). The PCB will only draw as much current as it needs, BTW.

some examples (there are many others):
Japan
http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_powers.htm#7f
UK
http://www.suzo.co.uk/websites/suzo/main.nsf/11.pdf
project style - US dirt cheap
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/i ... V_2A_.html

I have a 15Amp on +5V PSU for supergun and 5A for cabinet, set to 4.98-5.05V generally, sometimes I get complacent about adjusting the voltage with every board change; still never a problem with starts or resetting.

To change the current PSU you have in your Uberia 'gun, you will have to do some re-wiring (no need for soldering, you can use crimp connectors). And possibly a new case, if you want a clean look. I'm not familiar with it's dimensions.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

ok thanks for the info :) ill look into it
YouTube