Question about modding HRAP

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Daigohji

Question about modding HRAP

Post by Daigohji »

I'm going to be modding my HRAP1 v2 in the next few weeks. I've ordered some Seimitsu buttons and I'm painting some original artwork for the faceplate. My main problem is what to protect that artwork with. I don't have the tools or skills to cut that complex a shape out of a piece of Lexan polycarbonate, acrylic, plexiglass or whatever. I've asked around at the Shoryuken forums, but the only UK based custom stick builder I could find isn't taking orders at the moment. Getting the art printed on a vinyl sticker is out of the price range I'm willing to pay since everywhere I've found that prints that size either has a minimum order of 10 or charges a minimum of £50.

So I'm down to two options; either cover the artwork with sticky-backed plastic or remove the HRAP's stock transparent overlay and fit that over the artwork. The HRAP1 v2 doesn't have the mirror sticker like the v1, it has the transparent plastic cover with a grate-texture underneath like the HRAP2. The problem is that those two layers are glued together.

So I have a couple of questions (again, no one at SRK has come forward with answers :-/). First, does anyone know how easy it is to separate the stock plastic overlay from the grate-textured layer? I have a horrible feeling that just trying to rip it off would either bend the plastic or leave it covered in sticky gunk and chunks of the layer underneath. Would it be worth trying to steam it off with a towel and a bowl of boiling water (or an iron), or would the heat just warp the plastic... or have no effect? Failing that, are there any reliable people in the UK who could make me a replacement overlay in Lexan or acrylic at a reasonable price?

Any help appreciated.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

never tried a HRAP myself.

the only thing i can reccomend is to find a place near you that cuts plexi. im thinking if you give them the top piece or the measurments and diagram of the thing, they may be able to cut you a plate that would fit.

not positive if you can find a place to do this for you, but its worth a shot.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Daigoro wrote:the only thing i can reccomend is to find a place near you that cuts plexi. im thinking if you give them the top piece or the measurments and diagram of the thing, they may be able to cut you a plate that would fit.
Well I did somthing simliar with HRAP (Twin Stick mounting plate), I did find a sign workshop did the plexi cutting for me, but they couldn't make the plexi to about the sharp and size. But the couldn't/unwillingly to make the details cutting, dualing small square holes, etc

That's mean you still need to refine the sharp afterwards. Hobby fil for Plastic Modeling should enough for this purposes.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll check the Yellow Pages to see if there's anyone in the area who could cut it.
PC Engine Fan X!

try www.classicARCADEgrafix.com

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Here's a cool website business that does custom arcade layouts, graphics, marquees, etc. (even if it's just a one-off custom job) for the end-user arcade hobbyist. I've seen some their handiwork at the 2004 and 2005 California Extreme shows, awesome & very high quality workmanship. ^_~

Try out www.classicARCADEgrafix.com

Here's the link to doing custom artwork on the same site: http://www.classicarcadegrafix.com/suns ... m_artwork/

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

Thanks for the link. Their vinyl printing prices are tickling the edge of tempting, though I'd have to pay international shipping on top of it.

Would I still need plexiglass/Lexan over the artwork if it was on vinyl? Or would unprotected vinyl be able to stand the rigors of having hands rubbed over it all the time without fading or wrinkling? I'm guessing a few people here have used vinyl on arcade cabs, so what's your experience?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I would leave the factory RAP2 style overlay. It looks good and is functional (grip surface).

However, if you really want to change, try looking at your local art supply shops for thin type acrylic sheets. This type is easy to cut with just a hobby knife.