US-Japan voltage difference (for Supergun)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

US-Japan voltage difference (for Supergun)

Post by scrilla4rella »

My good Japanese friend from highschool has given me the best gift ever, A Supergun with a Street Fighter 2` board. When I come back to the US I will bring back the supergun with hopefully a couple new shooter boards (Batrider and Dogyuun at the top of the list).

The Supergun was bought in Japan and uses the japanese wattage. I have a japnese Saturn and PC-engine that I use without a power coverter. No problems so far...

Will I need a power converter for the supergun? How easy are the converters to find/make. Is it the type of thing that Radioshack has?
PC Engine Fan X!

Your Japanese Supergun should be no prob w/ U.S. voltage...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There's no need to rush out to your local Radio Shack to buy such a "step-down convertor" to convert USA 110-120v A/C to Japanese 100v A/C.

Sure, one can buy such A/C "step-down convertors" & "step-up convertors" in Akihabara but they are very expensive even for just a basic "no bells & whistles" model. Just save your hard-earned $$$ and use it to buy some of your favorite arcade Jamma PCBs that you've always wanted. ^_~

If your Japanese Supergun has an A/C adapter with 100v-240v, then it should be no problem with running on 110-120v USA A/C spec.

If the Supergun's A/C adapter says 100v, then USA voltage specs of 110-120v will not hurt it. Just be sure that your Supergun has the necessary built-in fuses for the 5v and 12v power lines of the Jamma 56-pin edge connector interface...you'd, naturally, want the fuses to "blow" before your valuable arcade Jamma PCB does (otherwise, it'd go "up in smoke"...). A little insurance pays off in the long run indeed. A few spare fuses kept on hand are also good to have just in case. ^_~

I've got a Japanese PS2 15000 series console that uses a Japanese voltage rating of 100v internal A/C adapter power supply and it works just fine with USA's 110-120v spec.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Thanks for the great info PC-engine man 8) When I get the sucker back to my home country Ill be sure to open it up and check out the fuse situation. Now I just have to pack it nice and make sure it doesn`t get molested by the baggage throwers.

The tough choice is what games to buy now. So many Raiden Fighters games such little cash...