The worst game music you've ever heard...

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Re: The worst game music you've ever heard...

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:51 pm
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:23 pmt seems like you just dOn't like the sound of the instrument itself xdxd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEWCCSuHsuQ
Nah, this is fine. The instrument's used way better in the video you linked. I think my problems with it in SoM might be exacerbated by the deliberately discordant / off-key sounding flute melody (it's only used in haunted/uncomfortable areas). The fact that it's used multiple times also sucks, and there's music I vastly prefer to listen to in games for "spooky" areas like the one used for Prinky's Mansion in Robotrek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM8F80Ytd6Q&t=446s

If we're talking instruments I don't like, bagpipes suck, but that's only because of that low drone that plays the entire time the piper's playing the pipes. The strange thing is why it's so popular; I'm pretty sure they make pipes now that don't have that low drone sound constantly going on.
are yOu sure the woodwind is off-key? it soundz like it'z inline w/ wHat'z typical of southeast asian classical melodic scAles...i 'unnO. my guess is tHat a dude of this caliber wouldn't mess it up like tHat =x
wHat makes the robotrek songie standout as a superior example of a sp00kster jam? like, in addition to the rAd gamelan scales 'n metallophone timbres and melodies, 1 example of wHat makes the ceremony songie standout is the drone element. it addz a lot to the sp00kster vibe b/c it is relevant to spiritual meditation practice in religious ceremonial music as drones are used in order to elevate a person's transcendental awareness to make a connection w/ the divine. in combination w/ the sinister atmosphere, it plunges the listener into a foreboding metaphysical darkness. so uH...i don't dislike the robotrek songie, but wHat elevates it beyond something more than wHat'z serviceable?

as for bagpipes, i think they're cOol, and the low drone is rad. owo
i think they're used as an instrument for funerals b/c the drone can create a connection w/ the departed, but i haven't really researched bagpipes.
honestly, i can't think of an instrument i really dislike. from a compositional point of view, it just depends on wHat you want to convey ^^
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:27 pm Always found it interesting how Bad Omen's NTSCU title (and subtitle) actually upped its Satanic Panic factor, rather than concealing it. If I remember the inimitably charming intro (warblingly whimsical yet earth-shakingly thunderous BGM! :shock:), it wasn't even particularly occult-themed, just prince and his waifu turned into pong paddles, sheeit! Getting the paddles right up in a target's face for rapid ricochet is the best :cool:
Odd thing is that the GG version actually came out first and was named "Devilish" in Japan. DS version is also named Devilish in Japan, as well.
cfx

Post by cfx »

BIL wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:27 pm Always found it interesting how Bad Omen's NTSCU title (and subtitle) actually upped its Satanic Panic factor, rather than concealing it. If I remember the inimitably charming intro (warblingly whimsical yet earth-shakingly thunderous BGM! :shock:), it wasn't even particularly occult-themed, just prince and his waifu turned into pong paddles, sheeit! Getting the paddles right up in a target's face for rapid ricochet is the best :cool:
Haha, yeah, that's fun. It's also a pretty good risk vs. reward thing because if you don't do it just right you'll lose the ball and definitely can't recover it at that distance.

BrianC wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:57 pm
Odd thing is that the GG version actually came out first and was named "Devilish" in Japan. DS version is also named Devilish in Japan, as well.
That's fascinating. I dug up a listing on ebay to see that GG version. It even uses that same cover image. It's published by Genki instaed of Hot-B like the Megadrive version so perhaps that has something to do with it?

That also answers something that I always thought surprising since I really didn't expect Sage's Creation to go to the effort to create it, which is why there's the version of the opening with the "Devilsh!" voice sample on Genesis that sounds just like the one for "Bad Omen" on the MD cart.

I had no idea there was a DS version. I see that was published by Star Fish, and the cover art features a cute anime girl. You'd never know what kind of game that one is without looking at the back cover. The DEVILISH logo on that version kind of makes it look like cheap shovelware too. :(
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

BIL wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:30 am I enjoy collecting examples of SFC doing FUCKEN METAL FUCK YEAAAA and MD doing bloodening soaring orchestrals :cool:

>BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakai-shin
>GAUNTLET

110% mahfuckin SONGIEZ! :o Proud owner of SFC Bastard even though the game's a fuckin dog, just so I can blast that title BGM ;3

On-topic, Rezon is one of the very few games where I have to mute it and put something else on to enjoy myself. And by "something else," I mean R-Type II's OST, totes germane \M/ETAL CRUSHER BGM Image It's not even especially bad music, just exhausting with the combined 5sec loops and lack of groove. 5secs is plenty when you know what you're doing with it!
sorry i just nOw saw this post X<
my post wasn't quoted and didn't notice it =x

lol yeee the sOundchips are totally capable of other thingz. i never heard the snes bAstard!! soundtrack before. sHit fukken rules \m/
i did watch the anime fOr the 1st time the other day, and the fight scenes and art were pretty siCk. took a screen shot of this b/c it'z definitely an influence on the art design of phantasy star 4 (aka fAt sea star 4):

i fukken love the gauntlet soundtrack. gAuntlet 3 had a pretty bAdass ost too =D

i guess sOme other examples to further illustrate your point:
power rangerz snes:
>>click link to WIN an snes mighty mario pOopie rangerz sOngie<<

and this landstalker sOngie soundz like it'z goin' for an orchestral kinda thing:
<<<<<link w/ high probability of tAking you to the landstalker songie>>>>>>

lol yeah, it'z the fact tHat the songies in rezon are 5 second loopz tHat make it so fuCking unbearable, but it'z my favOrite shmup alongside r-type II, and i guess over the yearz those 5 second loopz became kinda sorta fukken endearing to me x3
on my old dumbass internet joke chAnnel i uploaded a few sOngies, and a couple of them are experimentz w/ making hip hop beats (not really much into hip hop thOugh outside of memphis rap and horrorcore, and i guess some west coast stuff like z-mAn's dope or dogfood) where i sampled rezon's stage 6 songie at around 1:27 (also used g-darius since i'm autistically obsessed w/ itz aesthetics ^^;; ):
<><><>dumbass hip hop bEat called "metamorphis" if you wanna hear><><><
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:57 pm
Weird, indeed! :o The first thing that comes to mind is Lost Worlds/Forgotten Worlds, but that sounds like a far more tangled trail than Capcom's "overseas title supplanted the legally troublesome JP one."
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:59 amlol yeee the sOundchips are totally capable of other thingz. i never heard the snes bAstard!! soundtrack before. sHit fukken rules \m/
i did watch the anime fOr the 1st time the other day, and the fight scenes and art were pretty siCk. took a screen shot of this b/c it'z definitely an influence on the art design of phantasy star 4 (aka fAt sea star 4):
One of those anime/manga I grew up always hearing about, but never took the time to check out, despite everything I see/hear from it being 110% my jam. Image Like naming your trademark instakill hex after legendary NWOBHM nutters Cronos Mantas & Abaddon Image

i fukken love the gauntlet soundtrack. gAuntlet 3 had a pretty bAdass ost too =D

i guess sOme other examples to further illustrate your point:
power rangerz snes:
>>click link to WIN an snes mighty mario pOopie rangerz sOngie<<
Oh man :o Natsume are synonymous with killer FC+SFC music via Iku Mizutani & Hiroyuki Iwatsuki - even doing Image ILLEGAL BARN RAVE Image - but I was thinking that one reminded me of Power Blade/Blazer... turns out it is indeed Kinuyo Yamashita co-starring! That same bridging of sympathetic harmonies and battering martial intensity. I always forget PB in Natsume canon, I've never played the NES rev, and the FC one is criminally fugly 3;
and this landstalker sOngie soundz like it'z goin' for an orchestral kinda thing:
<<<<<link w/ high probability of tAking you to the landstalker songie>>>>>>
One of too many games I've never played, but nevertheless indulgently blasted the OSTs to :oops: Image LS always enjoyed a strong rep, but I got into its OST after wanting more from the Jewel Master dude, who named all JM's tracks after Yes/Crimson/Rush et al songs - a shared sense of transformatively rambling prog nous marginally disciprined for the WHERE YO HOOKS AT vgm Image Image
lol yeah, it'z the fact tHat the songies in rezon are 5 second loopz tHat make it so fuCking unbearable, but it'z my favOrite shmup alongside r-type II, and i guess over the yearz those 5 second loopz became kinda sorta fukken endearing to me x3
on my old dumbass internet joke chAnnel i uploaded a few sOngies, and a couple of them are experimentz w/ making hip hop beats (not really much into hip hop thOugh outside of memphis rap and horrorcore, and i guess some west coast stuff like z-mAn's dope or dogfood) where i sampled rezon's stage 6 songie at around 1:27 (also used g-darius since i'm autistically obsessed w/ itz aesthetics ^^;; ):
<><><>dumbass hip hop bEat called "metamorphis" if you wanna hear><><><
First-rate deployment when that st6 "bottom of ur carboard box full of random annoying shit fell out and everything's cascading down the stairs" WHOOMP-WHOOMP menaces the bleakly zen OGRscape. Image

Man I wonder how much Rezon's rep would improve without those ride-or-die OCD anthems. :lol: When it got its PRO LABEL DEBUT Image on ACA earlier this year, I fired it up in MAME expecting an utter abomination - bad controls, bad collision, bad visibility - then went "Wait what lmao" It's a very alright bar band cover, imo! Reminds me a bit of VIOLENT SOLDIER on PCE EDIT: Man FUCC, Pyongyang privated his ace VS trailer! It was great - possibly the best incorporation of the OJ Simpson White Bronco LOW-SPEED CHASE yet in STG lore 3; I will try to hunt him down and politely request a reup, should it still exist! Image
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Playing Gundhara now. Decent game, but my goodness the OST fucking sucks.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

All the OST that i forgot of games that i've played.
If they were good, i would remember them :roll:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Hello, gentlemen.

Bonhommes.

Bonhommes goes modern. (actually not shit. just amusing someone took the time to remix such a terrible piece)
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The whole soundtrack of Forza Horizon 5, its censorship on a ridiculous degree. While I understand the censorship on F-words, it makes no sense when non-offensive words like "Battle", "Soldier", "God", "Spirit" and "Consumption" are muted. This censorship even affected Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" on Horizon Block Party.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I can't say what the worst music I've ever heard was, but recently the Kao Kangaroo reboot comes to mind. It's the blandest, softest, most nothing VGM I've heard since whatever the last tired military shooter I played was. It doesn't even sound like stock music because some actual stock music is lovely. It just sounds like nothing.
Sturmvogel Prime wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:05 am The whole soundtrack of Forza Horizon 5, its censorship on a ridiculous degree. While I understand the censorship on F-words, it makes no sense when non-offensive words like "Battle", "Soldier", "God", "Spirit" and "Consumption" are muted. This censorship even affected Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" on Horizon Block Party.
I only ever listened to Hospital Records because I can't stand typical radio music. That sounds hilariously ridiculous.