Milestone release 'Karous' - Arcade 2006 / Dreamcast 2007

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PPA

Post by PPA »

Im goin to buy Radilgy because i like how it looks actually!

i dont know anything about his playability/system tough....but i'll figure out soon eheh
nZero

Post by nZero »

No firsthand impressions from any board members yet?
chtimi-CLA wrote:exelica is popular? surprising.
Surprising indeed. I enjoyed the game a lot, but I didn't think it would be considered popular.
BulletMagnet wrote:Anime girls in techno-leotards make the world go round.
Amen.
BulletMagnet wrote:Though I do want to try the game and see how tossing enemies at each other works if it ever gets ported anywhere.
It's quite fun, in fact :D Still hoping for a Dreamcast port after seeing Shienryu Explosion's relatively unpolished visuals.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and their loved ones :!:
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Bullet wrote:im surprised as well...you were there!

I guess you hadnt the time to give it a try.....

:?:
Nah, I had all the time in the world but I weighed my options: "Crows...Mushi Futari...or a coke..."

And so, my thirst quenched with a Coke tall-y (20 oz cans! where've you been all my life), I played some more Futari.

But hell, when I hit up Akiba next I'll give it a try. If icycalm says he beat it his first try, then maybe I'm right in that you can block every bullet in the game. Sounds like a winner.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

There's an easy setting (all bullets blockable) among a difficulty setting choice, if you actually read that post.

I can't believe they don't cockblock you from later stages in the easy mode.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I gave Crows a shot this afternoon and to be honest, it was somehow worse than I would have expected.

The guy before me was playing on easy and seemed dumbfounded by the lack of difficulty. During the ending he sat there for a minute and fiddled with the controls in the hopes that there was more, but that was it.

I tried it on normal and was equally bored. The first stage throws an incredible 9 bullets at you that can't be destroyed, but the boss really heats things up with some more slow patterns. As it went on it got quite difficult since you need to keep switching between blocking bullets and not hitting destructable ones (pretty much Pink Sweets, without the bomb). The patterns were difficult only because your ship moves so fast and can't be slowed down, makes tapping through tight spots harder than it should be. There's also only one ship type.

The graphics I don't like, not because of the lack of color, but the glorified-Flash-game style doesn't do it for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Radirgy, but the little I played of that was better than this one. Thumbs down.
PPA

Post by PPA »

NTSC-J wrote:I gave Crows a shot this afternoon and to be honest, it was somehow worse than I would have expected.

The guy before me was playing on easy and seemed dumbfounded by the lack of difficulty. During the ending he sat there for a minute and fiddled with the controls in the hopes that there was more, but that was it.

I tried it on normal and was equally bored. The first stage throws an incredible 9 bullets at you that can't be destroyed, but the boss really heats things up with some more slow patterns. As it went on it got quite difficult since you need to keep switching between blocking bullets and not hitting destructable ones (pretty much Pink Sweets, without the bomb). The patterns were difficult only because your ship moves so fast and can't be slowed down, makes tapping through tight spots harder than it should be. There's also only one ship type.

The graphics I don't like, not because of the lack of color, but the glorified-Flash-game style doesn't do it for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Radirgy, but the little I played of that was better than this one. Thumbs down.

ouch..... SO no smart bomb at all?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Here's a bit of a teaser from O3 Entertainment:
Check the admin reply, third down.
Sounds like they're suggesting it will be a future release.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's pretty ambiguous, but worth watching, methinks, if nothing else.
Cers

Post by Cers »

Yeah - the next (last) release for Dreamcast :D

Release: 08.03.07

Source: http://www.gamefront.de/
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Cers wrote:Yeah - the next (last) release for Dreamcast :D

Release: 08.03.07

Source: http://www.gamefront.de/
Hopefully MileStone will post this announcement on their own website soon. But definitely good to hear. I'm hoping they add the option of playing the earlier Loke Test versions into the homeport (but they probably won't).
sven666

Post by sven666 »

im with ntscj on thisone, seems like milstone are full of shooting love but sometimes thats just not enough.. kauros suffers from most of the problems that made radirgily unenjoyable, VERY similar games, in fact almost identical except for the artstyle change (which was a step up imo but each to his own).

thumbs down here too.. :(
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I enjoy Radiligy/Radirgy/Radio allergy/wtf!? but not enough to play a game particularly similar to it. I definitely feel like it is a nice diversion, but not good enough to have other games following in its wake.

Time for the ex-compile programmers to get off their ass and make Space Megaforce 2!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Great news. I hoped for a Wii port, but it seems I'll have to dust off the DC once again. I enjoyed Radirgy a lot, so I expect quite some bit of fun from Karous.

Ready for another fierce highscore battle, Kiken?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Herr Schatten wrote:Great news. I hoped for a Wii port, but it seems I'll have to dust off the DC once again.
If you don't mind waiting until next winter, I have a hunch we'll see a Gamecube/Wii release following the Dreamcast unveiling.
Check the link in my post above; the US publisher O3 says to look forward to Milestone's next game after Radio Allergy. And elsewhere they speak of Milestone's shmup series.
O3 sure isn't releasing any Dreamcast games in the States, and I can't imagine they'd tell their customers to look forward to a game that they don't intend to publish,.. so there is hope.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Dreamcast version available for preorder at Play-Asia

Thread title updated with DC release news.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Koa Zo wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:Great news. I hoped for a Wii port, but it seems I'll have to dust off the DC once again.
If you don't mind waiting until next winter, I have a hunch we'll see a Gamecube/Wii release following the Dreamcast unveiling.
Check the link in my post above; the US publisher O3 says to look forward to Milestone's next game after Radio Allergy. And elsewhere they speak of Milestone's shmup series.
O3 sure isn't releasing any Dreamcast games in the States, and I can't imagine they'd tell their customers to look forward to a game that they don't intend to publish,.. so there is hope.
That would be really cool; the Wii's first domestic shmup release! I hope we get this over here! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
al138

Post by al138 »

dave4shmups wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:
That would be really cool; the Wii's first domestic shmup release! I hope we get this over here! :D
With luck they'll add a gameplay mode or so as they did with the Japanese GC release of Rajirugi (the same version that I assume--and hope--that O~3 is going to port as Radio Allergy). As I plan to do with Radio Allergy/Rajirugi, I'll likely buy both the Japanese DC and GC US domestic versions. Gotta support efforts to release shooters here in the US!

And with any luck NCSX will announce their pre-order for Karous in the next week or so. They tend to be a little less than Play Asia, at least in the case of Excelica.
Bought from (via Paypal):
Alien Soldier, Bleem, CMoon, russ, thewestexit
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

al138 wrote:And with any luck NCSX will announce their pre-order for Karous in the next week or so. They tend to be a little less than Play Asia, at least in the case of Excelica.
NCSX have a tendancy to wait until they receive SKU order information from their suppliers, who are in contact with the primary distributors of the software.

Play Asia just seem to start taking pre-orders as soon as an announcement is made regardless of whether or not they actually have the concrete distro information.

I'm still waiting for MileStone to update their website with the announcement (I wonder if they'll opt for a DVD case).
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

top news :)
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Kiken wrote:Play Asia just seem to start taking pre-orders as soon as an announcement is made regardless of whether or not they actually have the concrete distro information.

I'm still waiting for MileStone to update their website with the announcement
True, we can treat this as unconfirmed until that happens.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Thunder Force wrote:
Kiken wrote:I'm still waiting for MileStone to update their website with the announcement.
True, we can treat this as unconfirmed until that happens.
Well, with Radirgy, there was that promotional flyer/page thing that ended up being the first official announcement. MileStone didn't update their website with the news until several days later.
greg

Post by greg »

It will be released March 8th? That's my birthday! YAY!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
MattC

Post by MattC »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Grev are just thinking ahead. Most Japanese companies are using 360 as a dev tool for PS3. Getting familiar with the power, the coding tools and such. Capcom are doing a similar thing, it makes sense.
So that's why most of the Playstation 3 games are crap and I am a PS3 gamer,(rimshot).

In the last generation, Namco tried this with the Dreamcast and it took them 4 years to make a game that looks as good as their Dreamcast effort. :lol:

Enough with my jokes, I am pysched about Karous and notice some ELG references. Is it mainly for the otakufanboys or it may appeal to female arcade gamers who like the character designs?

Once I get situated, I will definitely consider getting new games for the Dreamcast if the loading times are nice (ala the GC). Only if there is a lower rezed DC VGA to component cable I can use for my SDTV,[/url]
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

DC Karous listing on Rakuten.
It looks like it's just a standard edition release, like Chaos Field and Radirgy (no LE version.. although I'd love an LE that included the OST).
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Looks like the Dreamcast is going to last longer than the XBOX. XBOX only has 1 game called FUEL scheduled for next month then thats it. Its awesome to know that Dreamcast games still get released! :D
icepick

Post by icepick »

sideshow wrote:Looks like the Dreamcast is going to last longer than the XBOX. XBOX only has 1 game called FUEL scheduled for next month then thats it.
I know; That's so weird to think about! :shock:

It's like, when other companies retire their consoles, new games for the systems actually stop showing up. :lol:

Well, I'm happy that Crows/Karous/Karasu is coming. I was really interested in Radirgy, and as much as I tell myself that I like the bouncy happy style (I do!), I'm instantly drawn to the darker feel of Karous (I feel funny calling it that, but I feel like that's what they're going to have on the spine of the CD case). Just look at the side banner image for the game on Play-Asia.com. I like that. It's also kinda like how The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions were filmed back-to-back, except that I liked Reloaded more than Revolutions and I think that I'll like Karous more than Radirgy. 8)

Anyway, if we are to believe O~3's hint, then Milestone is planning a GCN release of Karous after the DC release, which would then be brought to the US GCN, so maybe that will be the last GCN game.

"People once believed that when you died, a crow took your soul to the land of the dead... but sometimes, just sometimes, the crow could bring that soul back, to make the wrong things right..."
\\ /\/\ \
al138

Post by al138 »

For those interested, NCSX just posted the pre-order for Karous:

http://www.ncsx.com/2007/011507/ncs0115m.htm

I'll add this to my Last Hope and Trigger Heart order.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

MileStone finally added a new video of the game to their website, which explains the differences between the 3 different game modes.

Also, Sega have finally added the game to their main Dreamcast software list (the game has already been given a CERO rating). Just like Radirgy, there will be a Sega Direct LE version which includes a phone card.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Is it my imagination, or does almost nobody really care about this game? Did everyone get disillusioned after playing/seeing Milestone's other shooters? Or are people waiting for the inevitable ports?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ganelon wrote:Is it my imagination, or does almost nobody really care about this game? Did everyone get disillusioned after playing/seeing Milestone's other shooters? Or are people waiting for the inevitable ports?
The few of us who enjoyed Radirgy care about the release of this game. That includes me.

Now they just need to release the OST on CD.