image fight pcb with duff sound

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mulletgeezer

image fight pcb with duff sound

Post by mulletgeezer »

how are you gentlemen?,

i bought an image fight pcb from evilbay recently. it works, but the sound fades away within a couple of minutes of switching on, and adjusting the 5v and the sound VR make no difference. i noticed a lot of heat coming from a damaged in-line IC close to the sound VR, this component has turned out to be a mitsubishi M51516L audio poweramp, so i reckon that must be the problem. the seller is willing to offer a refund on the board but he has no ability to repair it so i'd like to get a replacement IC. i've had a look at RS components and googled for a few others but had no joy so far. does anybody have knowledge of a good retailer of ICs that might stock this item?
yes4kiki

Post by yes4kiki »

Try East London Components http://www.elclondon.co.uk/ as they appear to have it in stock. I have never used them before so cannot vouch for how good/bad/indifferent they are. May be worth a bash!
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

that's excellent, thanks! :D
system11

Post by system11 »

Good luck - M51516L are hard to get hold of. I tried ECL once myself and was told they can no longer get them. That may or may not have changed. Also while you're at it, resolder the two large caps near the sound section, those love to fail.

If you're unable to get the amp, it was common on a large number of boards - Double Dragon bootlegs are a good source if I recall. If you get /really/ stuck then let me know, I may have a spare on a parts board.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

thanks for the info. I ordered one from ELC and today they emailed me to say they have none in stock but will be getting some in a week or so for a nasty new price - £8 each! I have a few knackered old boards (evilbay scum sellers again :( ) so I might already have this chip in my collection.
system11

Post by system11 »

mulletgeezer wrote:thanks for the info. I ordered one from ELC and today they emailed me to say they have none in stock but will be getting some in a week or so for a nasty new price - £8 each! I have a few knackered old boards (evilbay scum sellers again :( ) so I might already have this chip in my collection.
That's actually quite reasonably priced. More than they cost in the US as always, but those chips aren't easy to get.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org