My low budget HD project.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

My low budget HD project.

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think mine has audio issues through RCA, apparently a common problem.

I picked up a 21" Trinitron (Dell branded) CRT and it works like a charm. $80 inc tax 8)

It even Tates really well. Well, it has a big ass stand on the bottom which sticks out the side. :lol:

Wanted to use PC speakers so I can keep my PC setup going relatively easy. I got a free adaptor from logitech by calling them up (RCA females to 3.5 jack female).

I know there is another thread about joystick adaptors, but I really want to know what is the best option -

Dreamcast - Agetec
Playstation - HRAP 1 or 2

Or

HRAP with TC+ (I think this option is best)

Let me know, thankyou.
Last edited by neorichieb1971 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

I have an agetec stick with HRAP parts, and an HRAP, and the TC+... I don't notice much difference between them on the DC, except for the size difference. The HRAP might be the better choice, because it's easier to find and will work on a psx/ps2 as well - I've never heard of a DC->PS2 converter.

On the other hand, I like the metal top panel of the agetec. just feels nicer than the plastic on the HRAP.
弾もまたいで通る
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've never gone bargain hunting before, but I like it. I decided due to not knowing where I will end up next, I would try HD on a budget. I'm not sure where I am going with it.. But this is what i've worked out so far.

I bought a 21" SVGA CRT Trinitron Dell branded monitor with twin inputs in black for $75 (refurbished from one of those industry PC shops). I don't have a PC at home so I bought a DC VGA adaptor ($10) to test it out and it works like a charm. I'm playing Rayman 2 and Mr driller at the moment

It even Tates really well too . Under Defeat looks Schweeeeet.

Since I live in the USA, I found a shop stocking an XRGB2 (non plus) for $100 brand new. I was going to buy one way back so I already have the 21 pin (scart lookalike but with Japanese pinout) cables for all my consoles.

So thats my Genesis 2, SNES, Saturn, Playstation 1&2, Dreamcast taken care of.

If you have an XRGB2 or +, I'd appreciate some settings :D

The new X2VGA converts all consoles component to VGA. So thats about 35% of my ps2 and 80+% of my GC stuff VGA compatible without upconversion. The convertor even supports 15khz for the dashboard (not useful for gameplay).

Wii and 360 support VGA, although I am not sure if 720P is supported in 4:3 for gaming or not. Can anyone confirm?

I got a free logitech adaptor for using PC speakers with 'phono out' devices. Its basically a 3.5mm female jack to 2 L+R phono females.

So far everything is working out great. Screen is smallish I know.. But if I get a projector sometime down the road i'm practically THERE already. So far spent about $100.. probably another $150 on speakers and XRGB2 and I think i've covered everything. Oh the X2VGA is $65 as well.

Monitor $75
XRGB2 $100
X2VGA $65
Speakers $30ish

$275 = 170 quid.

Comments are welcome, as well as any tips. I'm not trying to build the worlds best gaming room.. Just something that works on a budget.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Where'd you get this X2VGA? Sounds like a decent price, even if it only supports progressive component input..
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Just add .com on the end :lol:

www.x2vga.com

It does support 15khz, but it only displays in a small window on the screen and its purpose is to navigate memory card control screens, Cd player and other dashboard activities. Its definately not going to be useful for gameplay.

It origonally was Xbox only but now it takes any component feed and converts to vga.. so its good for Ps2 and GC and any other 480p+ device.
D

Post by D »

Just to make things clear that if you have a Dreamcast you can just get this cable: http://www.racketboy.com/store/dreamcas ... le-box.htm
Right? because the Dreamcast allready outputs 31 Khz, is VGA?
Where should I get a VGA cable for the DC? Are there any differences?
I guess it works for all Naomi ports at least right?

One other question:
I guess there's a difference as to whether you connect it to a pc monitor or to a tv that supports VGA.
The VGA monitor allready has a cable with a female connector right?
So is the connector on a DC VGA cable a male connector then?
What inputs do tv's with VGA support have? would I need an extra cable between the DC VGA cable and the tv? or will it just plug right in?
Last edited by D on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You telling or asking?

Yes, DC outputs VGA at 31khz 640x480.

A box adaptor generally performs a few more functions like TV pass through and breakouts for RCA/phono sound and a 3.5 audio jack. Some cables do the same job.

Most games support VGA, some that do make them look ugly. But most improve the clarity and resolution.
D

Post by D »

So the vga connector will carry audio to a tv set?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If your monitor does not support audio on its own. You will need to feed the audio to an amplifier.

If your VGA cable or box supports only RCA/Phono's and you want to use your PC speakers.. You will need this -

Mine has a 3.5 mm jack on it so I don't need it for DC, but I do need it for all the other consoles via the X2VGA2.
D

Post by D »

Wow quick responses.
So does a DC VGA cable have a standard headphone output jack built in then?
And does a tv receive audio through the VGA connector?
I'm thinking about giving this as a present to a mate for his birthday.
It will be like giving him new glasses :D
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You keep mentioning TV (as opposed to monitor).

A VGA connector does not support audio in any shape or form. The DC VGA cable will have a breakout for RCA/Phono's so you can use normal stereo leads to whatever audio equipment you have. Or the TV/PC speakers.

The above is a VGA box, costs about $14. As you can see you plug the adapter into the DC. You connect a VGA cable that comes out of your monitor into the adapter. You have audio outputs, svideo and composite outputs on it as well. There is a switch that says "TV" and "monitor". If you switch to TV, the svideo or composite connections will be used. If you switch to monitor, VGA mode is enabled for a monitor.

If your TV is VGA compatible, just plug a VGA cable from the adapter to the TV and send the audio via phono plugs.[/img]
D

Post by D »

Jezus, thanks for all answers.
I will not bother you again ever.
It will be for my friend to play Virtua Tennis 2K2 with four players. Which rocks btw
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm hard, you can bother me anytime 8)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Oh, my box has JAP/USA switch too.

I noticed it only works when in the JAP position, must be different pinouts between USA and Japanese consoles. I have a Japanese console.

Weird :?